Open Invite

Discussion in 'New York' started by Luchtaine, Jun 13, 2019.

1. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the trip document @Luchtaine you mentioned camping somewhere around FIsh Creek on night two. I didn't see a site around there on any maps I looked at.

2. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    So they may be had to see but the little red + signs are camp sites. There are 5 or 6 in that general area. Looking at it more closely Follensby Clear Pond may be better. We can decide when we are there.

ABE44492-AB76-49B7-8CC8-56FB1ED00924.jpeg

These are the camping regulations as per St. Regis Canoe Outfitters. They claim to be quoting DEC guidelines.

C5DC36C4-A27D-486D-BA46-9085C457BCDA.png

My map also states these numbers.

Seeker and AdirondackBadger like this.
  3. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    We had a similar issue at Joshua Tree NP -- six persons per campsite. We solved it by spreading out over five sites.

Or at least, we thought we had. When we came together for our first evening meal the rangers insisted we could have no more than six folks at a time in any one campsite.

GreenFrog and Luchtaine like this.
  4. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    In the Adirondacks the fix is that if you have a group overnight that is larger than the 8 or 9 you need to split up an occupy site that are 1/2 or 1 mile apart can’t remember which. The idea is just that a large group doesn’t block out a bunch of sites in a good area from other campers.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Guys, I have no problem "sleeping alone"... if we're ever off by one, I can be the guy who moves over to another campsite for the night... If we're on Follensby for example, there are SO many places i could just be 2-300 yards away. I'd be fine with setting my own camp up, heading over to eat and sit for a few hours around a fire with you, and then heading back in the dark... it's a full moon Saturday night, and even if it's overcast, I have no problem with night land-nav (or is it water-nav. whatever).

And the temps fell out the bottom here in MD today... can finally smell Fall coming... cooler, overcast, brisk wind... LOVE this weather! wind's not so good for canoeing, but I'm looking at the 10-day forecast now... highs in the 60s, lows in the high 40s, overcast, slight chance of a few 10ths of an inch of rain Saturday, winds from the South... I am SO looking forward to this trip... Keep waffling back and forth on ground vs hammock setup... 2lbs makes a lot of difference on a trip like this... the less rainfall total, the more likely I am to stay on the ground (warmer for me too)... but then i get thinking about 8 campers together and a hammock makes it SO much more easy to find a site. So I'm still trying to decide.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    AdirondackBadger and Luchtaine like this.
  6. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I feel the same way about the hammock. My fly is a 10x10 silnylon tarp. So i figure if I bring the hammock I can still convert to the ground. If I shed the weight then I limit my options.

AdirondackBadger and Seeker like this.
  7. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I may just bring my lightest air mattress, 16oz, and if i get cold in the hammock, lay down under the hammock tarp... I've slept in worse places, and it's not supposed to storm at this point.

8. LoaferX

LoaferX Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm used to sleeping away from the group. Once I start snoring I'll be thrown out of the campsite anyway.

9. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    Less than one week out!!!!

AdirondackBadger, Seeker and Kona9 like this.
  10. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Whooo! Weather forecast is holding too... 60s/40s, tiny bit of rain. Leaning toward 'just the hammock' with no ground gear now. Just finished setting up my boat yesterday (glued in some closed cell foam, rigged up an adjustable web strap footrest). Will be packing most of my gear up this evening. Will do most of my food Wednesday before we leave Th to drive up, and will get the final stuff in Saranac Lake Thursday night or Friday morning.

AdirondackBadger, Kona9 and Luchtaine like this.
  11. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I haven’t done anything to prepare. Not sure if that means I’m unprepared or that I really have my gear dialed in o_O

Seeker, AdirondackBadger and Kona9 like this.
  12. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping to spend an hour or so tonight going through some gear in the basement. There are a few things that I need to find. Still have not consolidated my fishing gear so need to work on that.

AdirondackBadger likes this.
  13. billybass

billybass Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey Guys! I'm going to be up that way next weekend. Might be cool If I could meet up with you

14. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    We’re putting in at Hoel Pond noonish on Friday. Paddling most likely to long pond that day and camping. After we’re all up Sat and loaded up well paddle to the long portage to floodwood. Then it’s all day paddling to Follensby Clear Pond for night two. We are joining up with a few Sat am somewhere around floodwood base though. Not sure what time though.

AdirondackBadger and billybass like this.
  15. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    But if you’re in the Southeast come to my property October 11 - 13. Free beer. Carving. Or no carving.

16. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    Current weather prognosis.

37F7D732-F1D1-4852-91F3-EC2F85167273.png

F4D5280A-5227-46F3-BDED-60E9D1DB004C.png
    3FCE0682-8B68-46F4-8959-B561905D8C98.png

57FF2B38-CE3B-4EA3-A4D0-C8D1ED9FF7A2.png

17. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I imagine it’s going to be a slow and unproductive week at work for you fellas in anticipation for your trip this weekend, lol!

Have fun! Looks like a great group and decent weather. Look forward to the trip report after the fact!

Luchtaine, Kona9 and AdirondackBadger like this.
  18. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Looks like we might get a little wet on Saturday.

Anyone planning on bringing a tarp? Might be a good idea to set one up to have a dry area to prepare and cook dinner. I have a 10x10 I could bring. I’m trying to cut weight/gear, but this might be worth the weight.

Luchtaine and AdirondackBadger like this.
  19. camp43

camp43 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Please count me out. Sorry I will not be able to make it. I was looking forward to it.

Luchtaine likes this.
  20. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Evan, I still cannot edit the google doc. For sure on my phone as I just tried again and on my computer as of a few days ago. Could you take another look at it? Thanks.

Luchtaine likes this.
  21. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been cutting back on extra gear. I’ll have my 10x10 for the hammock, my 5x7 sar meast, and my 8x7 nest poncho.

AdirondackBadger and Kona9 like this.
  22. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'm still on the fence on hammock vs ground setup... I'm going to bring both and make the call Friday.

It might rain, but I don't think it will amount to much... This is Saranac Lake's 10 day on Weather Underground.

SL Forecast.jpg

Luchtaine likes this.
  23. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    High 40° is definitely hammock for me.

AdirondackBadger, Kona9 and Seeker like this.
  24. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a awesome trip and really bummed I'm not going...

Luchtaine likes this.
  25. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Dinking around with my gear spreadsheet, I think I'm right around 20lbs before food and water with a ground setup, 40oz more for the hammock setup (so around 22.5lbs). The advent of a decent ultralight air mattress has caused me to relook ground dwelling again. It's also refreshing to be able to camp again without snakes and bugs everywhere. On the other hand, you can set a hammock up in a lot of otherwise bad spots. Last time I camped in PA, I swore I'd go back to a hammock because of all the rocks where we were. We'll see.

Got most of my food packed up this evening too. Oatmeal mixes and tea for breakfast, couple bag lunches of easy-to-carry stuff that doesn't require refrigeration for lunches, and a Hawkvittle for one dinner. Anyone know if the Tops in Saranac Lake sells decent meat? or would it be better at the Aldi there? All I need is a small steak and a tater. Food should run me 5lbs or less.

Kona9 and Luchtaine like this.
  26. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    I had my wife pick up some steaks last night and I froze one. I wasn't sure if were still planning on cooking steaks or not. I will probably bring a cooler for the drive and then just let it thaw out during the day on Friday.

If all of your gear is at 20lbs or so I'm impressed. Just my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag are around 10lbs. I'd feel great if I could keep it all under 30lbs. I probably won't have time to weigh everything though, just a guesstimate. I'm fairly busy the next two nights so I won't have much time to tinker with things. I still need to sort out my clothes as that always is a challenge and I tend to pack too many extras.

Seeker and Luchtaine like this.
  27. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Trying to figure out logistics. What are the main groups plans as far as the loop is concerned. Three of us are starting 6 AM Saturday morning. We plan to meet on Floodwood correct? I know @LoaferX and I will be fishing our way along to meet up with the group. Where do you plan to finish the trip on Sunday? Deciding where to park and so on.

Luchtaine likes this.
  28. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    @happyjackotter We are putting in at Hoel Pond. Most likely staying on Long Pond night 1. Once everyone is up and ready we’ll do the long portage to floodwood. Second night will likely be on Follensby Clear Pond. Then the medium hop back to where we put in at Hoel Sunday AM. We’re doing the loop counter clockwise.

29. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, sounds good. We will be at Floodwood at 6am. We will put in and do some fishing while we wait for the group to catch up. Shall head towards Fish Creek and await your arrival. Any luck on hand held radios?

Luchtaine likes this.
  30. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got come cobra two way walkies. I’d have to make a short detour to grab them. IDK if they work on frequencies that real radio people use either.

31. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok. Should be easy enough to find us anyway. we will head towards the entrance to fish creek and hold there. Are we planning to stay on an island on Folensby or wait to make that decision when we get there? Here is a map that shows potential camp sites. Actually, I don't know if a PDF will show up but let's try anyway. Lol

Attached Files:

Kona9 and Luchtaine like this.
  32. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got maps. I figured we would decide amongst the group. Personally I would like southern and westerly views for sunsets and maybe asrtophotograply if the opportunity arises.

Kona9 and happyjackotter like this.
  33. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    We'd have a nice full moon, if it clears up. That would be something.

Luchtaine and Kona9 like this.
  34. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    Appreciate the map. I marked it up and sent it to my wife so she knows the itinerary.

Attached Files:

Luchtaine, Seeker and happyjackotter like this.
  35. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    I have a few radios as well. My son got them for Christmas. I'm pretty sure they are these (https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/...way-radios-triple-pack/product/T2B12201WNTAAN) which state a 25 mile range. I'm sure that is in perfect conditions and line of sight.

happyjackotter and Luchtaine like this.
  36. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    There is actually a very, VERY, short window after sunset and before moonrise where the Milky Way MAY be photographable. It’ll be visible. Just depends on the light pollution of the setting sun and rising moon.

37. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
  38. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good luck to all of you headed out tomorrow! See ya Saturday! :59:

Luchtaine and Kona9 like this.
  39. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    I will be up late finishing some things and then waking up early to make the drive. I foresee at least a couple of caffeine breaks along the drive.

Luchtaine and happyjackotter like this.
  40. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last minute project. Carry Yoke for the Canoe. Been meaning to make one for a while now. It’s hard to find the time with 4 crazy kids and an even crazier woman. Haha.
    58DD13F2-6BEB-40D0-8634-62555D3C8F4C.jpeg

HeadyBrew and Kona9 like this.
  41. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I’m up late too. Wanted to be up there super early but my bowman has some morning errands to run. So I am gonna take the little one to school then head out.

Kona9 and happyjackotter like this.
  42. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really looking forward to the pic and videos for this trip.

I hope you are all having a great time!

happyjackotter likes this.
  43. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
  44. happyjackotter

happyjackotter NYS Guide

Blog Posts:
    CosmicJoke, GreenFrog, camp43 and 5 others like this.
  45. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    569FC071-0070-45CB-BC62-852A89AE50B5.jpeg I need to go through all of the pics I took, but I thought this one of @happyjackotter and @LoaferX was kind of neat. Just soaking in the sunset.