Orange French Army Wool Blankets 24.95

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by lmalterna, Jun 19, 2017.

1. lmalterna

lmalterna Tracker

Blog Posts:
  2. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice find!

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  3. geneaut

geneaut Scout

Blog Posts:
    Showing out of stock when I look. Very good blankets if you can find them.

4. draftpick

draftpick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered some before and while the condition was great the blankets were a lot smaller than what they listed.

5. lmalterna

lmalterna Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hate that these sold out quick. They arrived and are excellent quality thick wool. I will definitely buy more if I find them.

Bill

6. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These are available again.

7. lmalterna

lmalterna Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Keepshooting.com has one
    French OD Wool Blanket available at 34.95

Bill

TAHAWK likes this.
  8. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. Elgin

Elgin Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keep Shooting just got the orange back in stock @ $39.95.

TAHAWK likes this.
  10. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lousy descriptions. Not as bad as Sportsman's Guide, but not good. A poncho made of: "Water Resistant, Modern Materials" Plastic" Rubberized fabric? coated nylon? Polyester? Cotton with "DWR"?

Condition of items like MMSS often described as "used." =??????

11. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I want it only because it's orange.

Elgin and NotThatMatt like this.
  12. NotThatMatt

NotThatMatt Quiet Observer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My thought exactly! Just ordered one. Thanks everyone for the head's up.

13. xwmstormx

xwmstormx Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So! I got mine yesterday. My first wool anything is now in my possession and I can use it for the bushclass later on down the line. I had posted in another thread about the brown one but ended up going with the orange.

First appearances is that it looks either unused or well cleaned. There are a couple of thread issues (that I'll fix) but still a bargain. I did find a tag that says "Laine Chlorofibre" (IE Wool + blend) and an embroidered 87 in red on it. Maybe the 87 is the year? Unsure..

There is no smell and it feels pretty soft. The box was crushed on arrival hahah.. Good thing it was something soft.. ish..

Going to test it out later tonight not so much for warmth but for any reactions I will have to prepare for. Itching, sneezing and the like. I've played with it for a good hour and nothing yet so that's a good sign.

Thank you again for the updated info on these being available. Got mine from keepshooting for around 50$ after shipping costs.

14. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    So all we know from the label on the orange blankets is that they are at least 50%+ wool and some amount of man-made fiber ("Chlorofibre"). NOT 100% wool as sold by Keepshooting.com.

15. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    "We apologize for the blanket you received not matching the description on our website. We recently restocked these from France, and it is possible that these blankets differ from the last batch we imported. We will investigate this with our existing inventory to determine whether or not it is just a few pieces that are not 100% wool. We will update the description to match what we have once we have investigated our stock. Rest assured we stand behind everything we sell 100%, and we are happy to send you a return tag for this blanket."

"And if I return it, where do I get the 100% wool blanket that I offered to buy and you agreed to sell?"

See, they way they want it, is "Everything is OK if we are caught. We just give the $$ back and call it square. Can't blame us for trying."

Let's see, if my boss caught me not doing what I was paid for, would he be happy with a refund of my pay and call it even or write a nice reference? Not a political job, you understand.
    [​IMG]

16. Luzster

Luzster I'm a little Tea Pot. Or Something. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @TAHAWK did you get that 50% one from keepshooting? Or majorsurplus?

17. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got it from Keepshooting, but it could be 99% wool. But all I can be sure of is that it is majority wool, not 100%, and the rest man-made. Note that they admit it's not 100%.

I just checked the Keepshooting site, and the listing still says "Made from 100% Wool." :cool:

18. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Hi,

Here is what is going to happen. I am going to send you a return label. You are going to take it to the post office and mail it back to us. I am going to have the warehouse manager check every blanket, and if the item doesn't have a tag or doesn't have 100% wool, it will be set aside. If we do not find any with a tag that states 100% wool you item will be refunded and updated on the website. If we see some of the correct labelings, a replacement will be sent. When dealing with used military surplus goods, we rely upon product samples we examine to determine characteristics and traits of products. On occasion, this method may allow deviations to enter our inventory as we do not inspect each item manually as we want to be able to offer the lowest price possible. When we deal with new goods that remain in their original factory packaging, this does not happen, but new products cost considerably more than used military surplus. What ultimately matters most, however, is we stand by everything we sell and offer full refunds to customers who are unhappy with any purchase from us. That is how we've operated since 2002 and will continue to do so. Have a blessed weekend.

God Bless,"

"Oh really? 'Here is what is going to happen'? Dial it back, citizen. I am an actual grown-up adult, and I will decide what I am going to do.

My decision-making will start from the reality that the law says I am entitled to what you sold me, whether you supply it or I have to buy it elsewhere and have you pay any difference (That last is called "cover" under the Uniform Commercial Code as enacted in Illinois and Ohio.). You are only explaining why a mistake was made, and I do not have any reason not to believe what you assert.

That you elected not to insure that your description was accurate for what seemed good and sufficient reasons to you is legally irrelevant. You picked the 100% wool description. That made is a UCC "sale by description."

And you are still listing them as 100% wool as I type.

I will think about it."

19. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Ok. Aside from not being exactly 100% wool, how's the quality? Softness? Thickness? Etc.

And, considering the price point, and if you knew before buying that it isn't 100% wool, would you consider it a good buy?

tch1718a and blind & lost like this.
  20. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    If knew in advance that the description was not accurate, I would have applied the Sportsman's Guide Rule and moved on.

If I knew how much wool it contained, I might take a spin at an opinion as to whether it is a good buy. It could be 49% some sort of recycled pvc for all I know at this point given the label and the seller's response.

The condition seems so close to new as to be regarded as new.
    It is 1/8" -3/16" thick. I would never criticize it as too thin.
    It is not especially soft. If I was especially concerned with soft I would be using polyester fleece.
    Given the mystery contents, I have no idea how it will hold up. Someone else may have experience with this same blanket.

But the description was off, I don't know how much over 50% wool it contains, and the seller is being . . . . well, see above and you decide.

Luzster likes this.
  21. Luzster

Blog Posts:
  22. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Now describe as mad with wool"' Disingenuous at best. Equally accurate to say "made with plastic."

Condition "excellent." Mine is excellent condition.

Note that all dimensions are approximate and no weight is given.

23. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    They are very high quality. Don't let Tahawk talk you out of them. They are one of the better blankets out there. VERY warm, I like mine better than my Alpaca queen sized. It is warmer than the alpaca one too.

brionic and Luzster like this.
  24. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good. Someone with experience. This is the orange one - wool and poly blend, right? Some sort of silk-like man-made tape around the edges.

I take it you consider it a good buy.
    How about "softness"? That was one of Luzster's questions.

And please correct any errors of fact that I have made. Fair is fair.

blind & lost likes this.
  25. NotThatMatt

NotThatMatt Quiet Observer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I had the same concern as @TAHAWK going into the purchase. Had no clue what "chlorofibre" was. But I knew, despite the description, that the blanket would arrive as such. So I did some research prior to ordering. As best as I can tell the split is 95% wool / 5% synthetic fibre. And... like most things... the answer I was looking for was right here on BCUSA; from someone who knows a lot more than I do.

"A very rare French Military "Hospital" wool blanket. These are different than the French Army Field blankets. They are 95/5 wool chlorofibre blend due to it's intended use. This small percentage of chlorofibre makes the blanket incredibly soft. As does the quality of the amazing virgin wool the Frenchies use."

Link:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/wool-blanket-collection-part-1.179619/

I have no validation that what OP says is true, but it was enough for me to put aside my concerns and order one. I don't believe you can beat that price point for what you're getting. The blanket is beautiful. Rust orange color. Just got it (and it's supposed to be for Xmas) so I haven't used it yet; but thought I'd give another perspective on the subject. And to echo, if it's not new issue, you could fool me. Not even the usual moth-ball smell. Thicker and softer than the Italian army and US issue wool blankets I have.

blind & lost likes this.
  26. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    In addition to the above article on a different blanket than the one I received, https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/wool-blanket-collection-part-1.179619/ ,

here is another article on a French blanket: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/first-test-of-french-od-wool-blanket.159048/

"Different" ? Yes. Mine, like the different color blanket in the second thread, was made by a different company, Toison D'or (Golden Fleece). But that's probably good, as that is a very respected brand that made some of the French military blankets for a number of years, until closing in 2014.

The label on mine (but far newer and for 2002) looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Mine is also more orange than the blanket on the first thread linked and has binding on all edges, rather than whipping;
    [​IMG]

All the opinions expressed on these French blankets are very positive and express belief that they are at least 80% wool.

So, all in all, I think its probably a good value on an item that is disappearing from the secondary market.

Major Surplus may have a 5.5 lb 90" x 60" wool blend french military blanket if you want to take a spin. Site doesn't say out of stock (most vendors are) but I can't find the "buy" button so I cannot check the price delivered, if they are available. Major wants you to register before finding out if you can buy.

Lot of 65% wool "replica" blankets around.

ED: got out the micrometer. Almost 1/4" thick.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017