1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

osage orange

Discussion in 'Archery' started by roesso, Jan 22, 2013.

1. roesso

roesso Scout

Blog Posts:
    can i make a board bow out of osage orange 1x4 board i no its ideal wood just didnt no if i could use a 1x4

2. sadiejane

sadiejane Scout

Blog Posts:
    never made a bow outta an osage board, or any board for that matter.
    but here is a link to a fella who made an edge grain osage bow.
    http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32395.msg428376.html#msg428376
    it was a stave not a board but basics still apply.
    i would reckon an osage board bow would be done like most board bows.
    and i would imagine a backing of some sort would be in order
    this fella has some great advise on making board bows and some easy to follow build alongs
    http://poorfolkbows.com/index.html
    good luck and keep us posted on how it goes

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. _Plainsman

_Plainsman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    if you back it with sinew or something. otherwise you'll have to chase the grain.

4. spyder1958

spyder1958 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its a board, I don't think he will have a ring to chase.

roesso , you can back the board with a lot of different materials to keep the board from developing a splinter or breaking. Bamboo will make a very fast hard hitting bow as a backing. Osage and hickory backing would be great, just make sure you get a straight grain hickory backing.
    Sadie already sent you to a good forum for some research.

5. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you use a boo backing aand the 1x4 is long enough, you should easily be able to make 2 bows from that board. A 50 lb boo-sage bow will only need to be about 1-3/8 to 1-1/2" wide at the fades. You will likely need to trap it a liitle bit and glue in some reflex. Reflex-deflex would be even nicer, but that does get into some advanced geometry/tillering. Have fun and good luck.

K

6. deathmetalbowyer

deathmetalbowyer Guest

Blog Posts:
    You could make a nasty ELB with an osage/boo 1x4. Just make sure its in a "D" style.

7. Squatch

Squatch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have made plenty of board bows and Osage works fine. No need to chase ring on a board bow, just make sure it's straight grained. Cut in two and make two bows. Cut a smaller piece and glue up your handle section.