1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Vitals 15 degree bag

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Soilman, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking for a more compactable sleeping bag for colder weather, for a reasonable price. I came across this company and found their bags. Seems to get good ratings, but something confuses me. The 15 degree bag is rated at 500 down fill, while their 30 degree bag is rated at 800 down fill. How can a lessor down fill be warmer? Does anybody have any experience with these bags?

2. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The fill power only indicates the volume that an ounce of down will loft to. 500 fill means 1 oz of down lofts to 500 cubic inches. The warmth is directly related to the loft volume, so for the same weight of down, 800 fill will provide much more insulation than 500 fill. A 500 fill bag can be warmer than an 800 fill bag, but will be a lot heavier, since you have to use more 500 fill down to give the same insulating properties.

As for Outdoor Vitals, they seem to be a fantastic up and coming company. My friend has one of their 20 degree 800 fill bags, and it is really nice. I would absolutely suggest the 800 fill bags over the 500 fill. You'll get a much more compact and lightweight package.

GunGoBoom and Soilman like this.
  3. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    After talking things over with a cousin, who is also into this kind of stuff, and has a down bag, I decided to go with the 800 fill power 20 degree Outdoor Vitals bag. I got what I think is a fantastic deal. With a 10% coupon code, I ended up buying the bag for $125. They also had some refurbished bags on clearance for $117, but for no more difference in price, I went with the new one.

4. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Finally had a chance to give the new bag a trial run. Slept out on my front porch in 42 degree, rainy weather. Bag was comfortable and kept me toasty warm...actually had to let loose the draw strings to cool it down a bit. I'd have liked to test it in about 30 degree weather to see how it holds up, but I already like it better than my synthetic (supposed) 0 degree bag, which I've been cold in at the same temps as my test.

5. Alpha6

Alpha6 Scout Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been looking at those too. They look like awesome bags. How is the fit? I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs with wide shoulders. The dimensions scared me off from those. Looks like a great product at a great price.