Overnight Survival class - October 19, 2016

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Let me start out by saying that the business plan that I have for Sandcut Outdoors is NOT about teaching survival classes. That's not my thing. But, the local Environmental Ed center had someone cancel on them, so they asked if I'd fill in for the evening. So I said yes. It gets me outside my comfort zone and pushes me to come up with a new lesson plan. I thought it might be interesting to focus on what to do if you had to spend an unintended night in the woods. They're only alloting me 90 minutes. Here's the info

Where: Lackawanna College Environmental Education Center
    93 McKenzie Rd., Moscow, PA

When: October 19, 2016 from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm

Cost: $5/ person

Join Mike Leggiero, of Sandcut Outdoors, for an evening learning about how to make the best of an unintended night spent in the outdoors. Learn what equipment, attitude, and skills are needed to make yourself more comfortable and survive, regardless of the season. This workshop is geared for ages 8 to adult and will address how not to become lost, steps to aid search and rescue, how to dress for the weather, essential equipment for overnight survival, and basic fire making skills. $5 per person. Pre-registration is required. For more information or to register, contact Lackawanna College Environmental Education Center at (570) 842-1506.

I'm excited. New venue and a new topic. I guess I should get cracking on the lesson plan.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    pab1, SmilinJoe, Walking Crow and 6 others like this.
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Survival with Professor Mike, sounds fun.

alukban and Sandcut like this.
  3. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a lot to cover in 90 minutes! Hope to hear how the course turned out.

Sandcut and alukban like this.
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I thought so, too. Guess I need to give the Campbell's soup condensed version.

alukban, Subdood and rsnurkle like this.
  5. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Now I'm imagining a Campbell's branded/labeled Mors pot with survival kit goodies.

Actually, now I'm also trying to think of how I would solve the "teach overnight survival in 90 minutes" problem. I'm certain you have a much better sense for what essentials people need to know, so I doubt my list will overlap, but hopefully you don't mind me thinking aloud. (and if this thread is just meant to advertise the course, and discussion of the potential topics is a derail, let me know and I'll edit).

90 min / 5 =18 minutes per section if the sections are split evenly (but probably want to give more time for anything hands-on). Potential topics:
    How to avoid getting lost:
    * Give someone back home a map + intinerary, and your expected return time.
    * Use your map before you get lost (where am I going? what should I see along the way? what will I be passing that I won't see? are there handrails for the area?)
    * Taking a back bearing on compass whenever you leave the trail

Aiding search and rescue:
    * stay put (moving targets are hard to find) / STOP principle to try to calm down if anxious
    * make yourself comfortable
    * be visible (visual, auditory, and electronic/GPS or cell-based signaling options)

Dress for the weather:
    * layer, stay comfortably cool for exertion (keep insulation dry)
    * bring appropriate clothing for unexpected time out, not for riding in the car somewhere (especially on "just a day hike")
    * look into wool and synthetic clothing

Overnight survival:
    * insulate self from the ground (pack, foam pads, debris options)
    * emergency overnight gear (poncho, space blanket) for protection from wind + rain
    * campsite selection (out of wind, etc.)
    * getting water (water containers, filters, purification tables)
    * having fire making options on hand (lighter, matches, fires teel)

Basic firemaking:
    * finding dry wood, twigs sizes for kindling
    * manmade tinders to put in a hiking kit, natural tinder from the environment
    * fire safety
    * participants light a pile of kindling

Walking Crow, NattyBo and Sandcut like this.
  6. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Not a derail at all. I like to compare notes to see if I'm leaving anything out. Thanks.

alukban, NattyBo and rsnurkle like this.
  7. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Just a little over a week out from this workshop. I spent the latter part of the morning refining the PowerPoint (inside) portion of the presentation.

I'm looking forward to this!

rsnurkle and alukban like this.
  8. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I spoke to the Director of the Environmental Ed Center this morning. We have a full class of 36 people signed up and a waiting list. It looks like we're doing this again next spring!

9. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I missed this thread when it's been up before. Fall always seemed to produce larger attendance for "survival" themes than spring, at least in the Metro Parks in central Ohio. Folks seem to recognize that cold is a potential killer but don't realize that spring with its rain, wind and "cold snaps" create as much or more danger to the unprepared.

I am sure you will have a great time and will have an eager-to-learn audience. Let us know how it goes and if you care to share what your final format and flow of information turns out to be, I am sure there is an audience here.

alukban, GreenFrog and Sandcut like this.
  10. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    The class went well. Thanks. It was a pretty broad age range for an audience. Maybe a bit too large. We had about 25 kids ages 6-10 with most of them being a Girl Scout Daisy troop (6-7 year old). Due to the large number of young kids I had to shift gears a bit and "dumb down" the class a bit. The end result was that the adults were a little underwhelmed and the kids were a little overwhelmed. We had a few adults disappointed that I didn't get more in depth. What we really need to do is hold a class for <10 and a >12.

As far as class content, I used the Hug a Tree and Survive program as the backbone of the program and worked in use of the Palmer Furnace to supplement the use of a trash bag as a makeshift shelter. We discussed the Rule of Threes, methods of heat loss, hypothermia and how methods of aiding search and rescue to help them find you. The EEC wanted to go over fire building, but we ran out of time and daylight due to the timeslot and time alloted.

11. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds as if you covered a lot of territory in the time you had. You are right, when you get a lot of young ones it changes everything. While they can be a joy to work with on their own, trying to simultaneously present at their level while giving the older teens and adults enough to "chew on" to satisfy their needs is nearly impossible. If you continue to work with EEC, getting their cooperation to set some age parameters will make a world of difference. Perhaps even consider 3 age groups: the young ones, the teens and the adults. There are grey areas at the dividing lines though. Some 11 year olds easily function with the teens and a few 13 yr olds need to be with the younger folks. Moving mature teens with the adults really comes down to how deep you are going.

It always seemed to me that fire building (including working with several ignition sources) needed a course of its own. In basic survival, especially with a 90 min to 2 hr time frame, there is too much else to cover to get much beyond what ignition sources to consider and, of course, making sure everyone understands when NOT building a fire is the correct course of action.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

rsnurkle likes this.
  12. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    my bare bones, get you out of a jam- shelter kit

Palmer Furnace

For a 90 minute class this would be the most beneficial IMO.

I would pair this up with signaling.
    Phone / Whistle / Flashlight.

Beat the importance of telling someone where you are going and when you plan to return.

Importance of hydration.

Maybe a short but useful items in a daypack.- K.I.S.S.

Otherwise 90 minutes is not a lot to work with. It's just st a intro to Pandoas box.

(Sorry I did not see the class passed already.*)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    rsnurkle, Sandcut and Walking Crow like this.