Overnight, testing myself, kind of...

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Sawdustdave, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heading out once my coffee is finished to camp at a nearby state park. Bringing no tent this time, just my hammock. Having said that, well, "just my hammock" still carries a lot of stuff - underquilt, skeeter net - which may not be needed now that the temps have fallen some, sleeping bag because I don't yet have a top quilt. Tarp. Looking at the gear I've packed I know I've overpacked, but that's part of the test. What will I use, and what will just come along for the ride. I'm a truck camper, not a hiker, so weight really is not an issue, but I want to narrow down what I NEED from what I think I need. Oh, a few items are wants - a couple carving tools, cigars, my juice (Body Armor bottles, no "energy" additives). Going only with packaged food, turkey in a can, instant taters, etc. Also, as I sat to write this I noticed my camera and the journal from @gohammergo on my DR table/desk/indoor work bench. (Thanks, again, John!) Can't fully do this without taking pics of what I'm doing, and writing down what I do and why/how.

I'll add to this when I get back, perhaps late tomorrow or Thursday (although it might be later - Thurs is a work day and organ practice and playing for Church that night). But I will show what I've done and welcome comments/critiques/suggestions. I still feel really new at this, at least the "take what I need, a couple comfort items, and that's all. It's hard as I don't hike to locations, but someday I might. Following Shug's advice from videos and practicing this trip. If things go south on me (and I don't expect them to) I've got the truck, and home is less than an hour away.

2. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nothing wrong with "comfort items". Nothing wrong with not hiking 1000 miles into the "bush" to set up your camp.

Hoping you have a great trip and look forward to the pics.

3. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I envy you. I have been sitting at home for 6 weeks fighting muscle spasms in my back. Epidural cortisone in my spinal area next week. Please post photos of the trip. Some of us live vicariously on others deeds.

4. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to your report. Have a good time!

5. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Super cool stuff Dave. You truly are an inspiration to a lot of us here. Hope you had a great time and stayed warm enough. :)

Glad to hear you are getting some use from the journal. :)

6. jayclimber

jayclimber BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Have fun! Sometimes it's the trips close to home and not far off the beaten path that end up being the most memorable!

7. Sawdustdave

Blog Posts:
    I was in no hurry to get going Tuesday morning. Went to my local KT and got some strong coffee, and drank it on the porch at home. Headed out just after noon, drove through a hard rain shower thinking "this makes things interesting". By the time I checked into the camp site, the sun was out, and stayed out.

P8270044.JPG

P8270045.JPG
    The main reason I went out was to use my Eno hammock. I'd purchased a DR Raven, but it's going to take time to get to me, so I'm using what I have. The underquilt is a One Tigris, and works fine for what I've used it for. I'd suggest replacing the small carabiners it comes with, though. No skeeter net this time, with nights in the 50's and a good breeze I figured I'd not need it.

Setting up the hammock went OK, if you count 3 attempts! Took over an hour, and then some. First try went fine, but I didn't like the setup - the view was off to the side and the stakes for the tarp were off the site by a bit. So, I moved to a different set of trees. These two were really too far apart to get a good hang, needed to really work to get it hanging so my backside was off the ground. As it was, I was maybe 4" off the ground at night.
    P8270063.JPG
    P8270068.JPG

To bring everything along I use a foot locker my son left at home. Holds far more than I really need - and I have 3!
    P8270057.JPG

Also brought my LLBean Continental with me with my other stuff, like food:
    P8270049.JPG

And, since I haven't shown a knife yet, at least not on purpose, my new Kauhaven Askartelupuukko. P8270073.JPG

To be continued...

8. Sawdustdave

Blog Posts:
    My plans were to basically set up the hammock and sleep in it. Eat a bit, perhaps fish. Reality, however, reminded me that when testing something keep expectations limited. I did fish for about 20 minutes - even caught a small, tiny, bluegill. But the rain began again, and I headed back as the wind began to really pick up. This, however, gave me a photo op:
    P8270085.JPG
    Fleet farm rain gear. Needed it for about 15 minutes. Then I tossed it into the truck.

I ran into town for some cream, thinking it would be fine overnight. The grocery store had a pack of real Olive loaf! Now, I loves me some real olive loaf, so I bought some and a large hard roll, and called it supper! So much for the food I brought along...
    P8270076.JPG
    But, it will keep for next time...

Took a "hike" through the campground. Lots of downed trees from the storm early in the month. Many sites still closed, lots of free wood for those with a chainsaw! (What's that? Oh, yeah, no chainsaws allowed in State Park land...) Much of the wood was well beyond the size I'd want to cut up with a folding saw. But I did find my next two walking sticks just laying on the ground:
    P8270086.JPG

Cut in half, both halves are around 6' long. Another project.

P8270079.JPG
    Fire going, guitar out, all ready for the evening.
    P8270087.JPG
    P8270093.JPG
    View from inside the hammock, kind of...

9. Sawdustdave

Blog Posts:
    Overall, things went OK, if not what I'd wanted. I had almost too much bedding - can't wait for my top quilt to come. My Kelty sleeping bag is too big. Think my blanket would have been enough. Also, and this is not due to the hammock, I chose a night when my mind would not shut down. Another night of insomnia... And I heard 4! skeeters all night! That's 4 too many! When I crawled out in the morning I decided I needed to just pack up before coffee and pick up some really good stuff on the way home.

Were I grading, I'd say a "C", mainly because the hammock hang was too low to the ground and too tight between the trees. Was a dickens of a time getting it down. Next time I'll find two trees closer together. I hang the straps as high as I could, but another foot or so would have been better. But growing taller wasn't an option. Still, the tarp held all night, the "porch" setup was fine, the night air was cool and refreshing.

Gotta get out soon and do it again!

10. Sawdustdave

Blog Posts:
    Oh, though not trip related, here's the "fishing" side of the truck:

P8270059.JPG

11. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another great outing and pics @Sawdustdave . Thank you for taking us on this journey.

12. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I just spent a night at my camp two weeks ago.Got a chance to try my new bed out.I used two burlap sacks for the mattress.
    DSCN8912.JPG DSCN8957.JPG

13. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great outing Dave! Looks like you're getting things dialed in.

hdbeav, MrFixIt, CosmicJoke and 2 others like this.
  14. aklogcabindream

aklogcabindream Tracker

Blog Posts:
    FB68914A-8103-40C2-ADAC-F039073402CF.jpeg 6B763A20-C2F1-455E-AFF6-C0A052FA6F6E.jpeg 9C02D739-A6F4-4A23-9DF5-C1B1190FA21F.jpeg 5621D77C-84E3-47B6-953B-9E5BB006DF1B.jpeg Getting ready to head out to our camp , cabin, for moose season.

15. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice outing Dave. I would have graded it an A!
    Thanks for sharing!

16. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Definitely an "A". You came, you stayed, you conquered.

You caught a fish, you are well, you had a fire, and woke up in the woods. I see success every where I look at your adventure.

Thanks for sharing. The more nights you stay out, the better you will sleep at night.

happywanderer likes this.
  17. VikingWilderness

VikingWilderness Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your trip! That is an awesome setup you got there!

18. Denman

Denman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice trip,I have the same LL Bean rucksack.

19. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anytime you get outdoors is a win. If you go with no expectations other than to be outside, you'll never have a disappointing trip. You learned a few things to tweak for next time, which makes it an even better outing. Good on ya!

gohammergo and jayclimber like this.