Pacific northwest general purpose caliber?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by trust_no_one, Jun 3, 2017.

?

Pacific northwest general purpose caliber?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2017.
  1. 30-06 springfield

42 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. 7mm-08

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. 30-30

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Snowflake caliber

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A steal on both accounts. Congratulations! You've got two fine firearms that will readily feed you.

Regards,

ezra

alukban likes this.
  2. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    If you decide you want to take a grizzly, getting a rifle capable of doing it will be the cheapest part of the endeavor....

That's a good deal you got on that rifle. If you keep your eyes open, something good usually pops up for not much money.

alukban likes this.
  3. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you did very well all the way around!:4:

Cwlongshot likes this.
  4. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Good choice, good price:)

5. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sweet deal!

6. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm not complaining about it. The dealer said the model 24 had been there for about 2 months and no interest. He was suprised a young guy like me wanted it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on a finding good deal!

Check the serial number for the trigger recall.

I experienced an AD myself when I pushed the safety off. Its a genuine issue, not internet bs!

trust_no_one likes this.
  8. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh it was made in 88 and is not effected. I tested it out todat to make sure.

caoutdoorsman likes this.
  9. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing against handgun hunting or the people who are crazy about it. It was silly to me in the way I was doing it because that particular handgun was getting close in weight to an ultra-light rifle, and, although I could shoot nice groups out to 300 yds at the range, my reliable range with it in the field wasn't any better than it would have been with a (much handier) revolver (steady rests being in short supply when I need them). It was a fun challenge and educational experience in load development - but in the end, it didn't do anything for me that I couldn't do better with either a more conventional handgun or a UL rifle. While I don't criticize anyone who really enjoys such an arm, I came to the conclusion that if I were to pursue handgun hunting further, I would prefer to do it with a simple revolver.

pab1 and alukban like this.
  10. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    When handgun hunting I almost always use a revolver too. I'll spend the summer practicing with a hand-rifle I think I want to use that year but when season rolls around I'm usually in the mood for a revolver. :dblthumb:

FreeMe likes this.
  11. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mine was early 90's.

Rough handle it and see if you can get it to fire, on a dummy round of course! Mine went off at the range while I was preparing to take a shot.

12. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very nice my first rifle I bought when I was 18 was a 3006 remington

13. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice, you got the 700 back when they were actually good and a nice bonus to boot!

14. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rest assured it was thouroghly handled and vetted. Thank you for the advice though

15. instructorzero

instructorzero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I pondered the same thing once and selected the .270. No regrets here.

16. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Would anyone care to stand in front of a .25 acp ?:)

scottman likes this.
  17. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think 25 is a general purpose cartridge lol

18. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    You know, having posted an opinion earlier, and after suggesting the .300 Savage, and after following this thread this far, I'd like to throw a twist in here relating to the original question. So, living where I live - near Seattle - the optimal caliber just might be found in a defensive weapon such as the S&W Shield 9 or .40, or any number of other fine performers in any number of fine handguns. Crime might be the major portion of criteria for caliber selection. This place is going crazy. Not like Chicago - which is in a state of near anarchy - but it's heading on a downward path pretty quickly. Maybe another category of "all purpose" round could be considered.

19. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I that's going to be a great rifle for you. My only concern would be the scope. I like a variable scope in the 3-9 range. That's because a lot of times even in the mountain west you are hunting heavily wooded country, and your shots can be 50 yards or even less. Having that lower power available on your scope makes for quicker target acquisition on close shots. But other than that, you have yourself an excellent all purpose hunting rifle. And the price was sure right.

scottman likes this.
  20. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    All purpose means different things mission drives the gear . In this case he wanted a field rifle choice not a pistol or pdw . I've met very few people on foot in day to day life that are walking around with 3006 rifles concealed .

When I went up for deer season i was open carry a 308 windham I had a pdw concealed in my pack .... that I had logged hours days weeks with concealed in normal life not just hunting . I actually used my pdw to fill a tag because I was confident on the range and presentation . When the farmer met us he was open carrying a 3006 bolt gun . I doubt he like most walks around with such a field rifle concealed . I didn't even mention what I used was concealed he propbably assumed it was the 308 windham . Having the windham broken apart is a grey area imho concealed or not carried in the trunk .

Thread drift imho looks like the member got himself a great field rifle .

21. MMS375

MMS375 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think you made a very wise choice. Proven rifle. Proven caliber capable of a broad range of game and readily available. 6x fixed power scope is not a terrible option but if you get the chance to put a good low power variable it increases functionality. A good 2x7 or 3x 9 with 40 mm objective will do all you need. Leopoldo VX3 or Nikon Monarch if you can swing it. A good sling, ammo for intended game and familiarity with practice are all you need now. Good luck and enjoy.

Geektrapper likes this.
  22. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Tracker

Blog Posts:

I'm looking for a 2x7 50mm to replace the M8. This is not a high priority for me at this time. Thanks for the input.

23. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Used Leupold 2-7x40's are easily found on Gunbroker. It's your gun so it should be set up the way you like but on a smaller scope like that you're gaining little going up to a 50mm objective over a 40mm.

24. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Best of luck but you wont need it. the grand old '06 IS so loved BECAUSE its so versatile. So much so I really don't care for it! (Even tho I suggested it!) I simply like to be different caliber wise. Those old M8 Leupold scopes are also as solid reliable as the rifle and caliber. If you ever do have issue, know that Leupolds warranty covers it and you and is no questions asked.

CW

25. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    Off the top of my head, I do not know of any makers offering a 2x7x50MM... The 2x7 is a compact range scope its usually not even full length.

Do some research, the 50MM is pretty much useless for America (Mostly we do not night hunt) with the quality of a good scope as a 20MM objective can transmit more light to the human eye than it can use. But if you just like that look, more power to ya!! I have a buddy thats same and it was not until I proved it to him one overcast, dark, late after noon on stand. When he saw for him self side by side, my VXIII Leupold 1x5x20MM was MUCH brighter then his Bushnell Banner 50MM scope. (No strike on Bushnell, its also a fine scope, its just no Leupold)

CW

EDIT: On such a short scope as most 2x7's are, having a 50MM objective would really reduce the room for scope rings making it very limited to what guns it could even be mounted on...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    akbound likes this.
  26. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I put a 50mm on my air rifle to hunt rats, since they only come out at night.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  27. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I put a 50 mm on a rifle and it bumps you up to the next height rings and the whole thing turned out huge! I wouldn't describe it as fitting a gp rifle.

If it was me I'd either use a simple fixed 4x or a 2-7x variable, maybe even 32 mm instead of 40 mm to keep it compact.

akbound likes this.
  28. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    While you are probably correct for this instance, and concerning a 2-7, I do night hunt quite a bit, and in Texas legal shooting light begins 30 minutes before official sunrise and ends 30 minutes after official sunset, and I have learned that on those dreary winter days that a 40mm or 50mm objective can make quite a difference in the first few or last few minutes, which also seems to be right about the time those wise old bucks either head towards the brush, or come slipping out of it.

29. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's starting to sound specialized, and less general purpose!

30. RockinU

RockinU Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not at all, if anything it's being more general use, being more useful in more situations, it will excel in lower light, and still work just as good as a smaller objective in full light. Go with a larger objective, and if he travels to an area he can run a predator call at night, and he can use the same rifle that he uses for day hunting somewhere else. Specialized would make it useful for fewer situations, not more.

Geektrapper likes this.
  31. Geektrapper

Geektrapper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    308 or 30-06 and reloading gear. Both can be loaded up or down to suit your needs. I run a Belgian FN mouser in 30-06 and it will take any of the game all the way up to bear and elk with well placed shots and can be loaded down to make it and passable small game rifle. if you are reloading the 30-06 will do everything a 308 will at lower chamber pressure making brass last longer. if you do not have any intention of reloading go with a 308 as the verity of factory ammo is more diverse.

Just my 2 cents

32. Geektrapper

Geektrapper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry i failed to read the replys before I posted. nice score!

33. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My general use round is .308, and while the .30-06 can be loaded more powerful, they do %95 of the same stuff. I live in Oregon and hunt somewhat often.

I would say you made a damn fine choice, I've taken black tail deer, elk, mulies, antelope, and hogs with the .308 and I never had an issue. .30-06 should do just as well, if not better.

Happy hunting!

Geektrapper likes this.