"Packable" hip length rain shells (that wont kill the wallet)

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by allfatherodin, Jan 11, 2018.

1. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Always on the search for better gear. Recently I received a marmot precip jacket, which was very cheap and ticks most of the right boxes. Especially how light it is, and can can easily be stuffed into a pocket when not in use. However, it only reaches to just below the belt, and has more of an athletic fit to it. Not great for layering... I suppose I could try one size up.

I don't seem to find any of the lightweight and packable rain gear in parka-length, or that are made for layering. Almost as if they're all aimed at runners/cyclists, or people who want to show off their form while wearing it..

Anyone else in the same boat?

J. Pierce and Winterhorse like this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya. I guess they figure a lot of the people that use the lighter weight gear are on the leaner side or are using thin high tech base layers. On a side note cycling tops are cut longer in the back to provide coverage due to the position of the rider.

J. Pierce and Winterhorse like this.
  3. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Frogg Toggs Poncho is 40" from the shoulder, pretty light and packable, layerable, and only $13. Columbia has a packable shell for rain thats about $54. Neither would be good alone in the cold, but if youre layering they make great rain gear. You ought to try the Frogg Toggs, i have one, and it would work as a small emergency shelter.

NevadaBlue, Zunga and Winterhorse like this.
  4. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about frogg toggs as well. My aim is mostly traveling and hiking. I'm not super conscious about style but ponchos in city environments are a little silly to me.

Checking out the Outdoor Research Foray right now. Seems of a decent length, and their warranty seems great.. On the local buy/sell there are some cheap Arcteryx Beta SL's as well.

For heavy rain and rough stuff I have my Austrian army goretex jacket which I think i'll use until it falls apart :p But I found for traveling/hitchhiking, it's better to stay away from the military look.... As much as I can ;)

NevadaBlue and central joe like this.
  5. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well, I think getting wet is pretty silly. For $13 the poncho would be good as a stow away if nothing else. They do make a hooded parka type model but it will cost $30-45

central joe, Zunga and NevadaBlue like this.
  6. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yea i'll have to get one at some point annnnyway, because they look like the best bang-for-buck poncho out there. my current surplus ones are pretty hefty.

central joe and Wasp like this.
  7. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I have one in tan and its awesome. Id have paid twice that but dont tell them that. :)

I dont have any other suggestions despite having a shell, but its a no name from Atwoods farm and home. Its nice but not a regular name brand I know.

central joe and allfatherodin like this.
  8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I hate rain pants, and it seldom gets cold enough here in LA to warrant them if you have wool socks and nylon pants (dry quickly).

I normally use a poncho, but would kill to find an old school sleeved rain cape. I have a cagoule from CampMor, about 15 years old, that is sleeved, comes to my knees, and is pretty compact. It works ok, but for canoeing, I'd like a little more room around the legs, more billowy, I guess, like a poncho.

I've heard good things about the Packa, a sleeved poncho designed to wear over a pack. I just worry it's too roomy in back without wearing a pack.

http://www.thepacka.com/

reppans and central joe like this.
  9. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Sierra designs has what your looking for. Long jackets and rain chaps to match. Also my marmot jacket is a good length and weighs about 7oz

central joe and Seeker like this.
  10. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    KNALLA from Ikea is an inexpensive option. We keep one each for our family in the RV so we don't forget to pack one.

NevadaBlue and central joe like this.
  11. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried the snugpak patrol parka? I have a couple of them and really like them. https://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-126829-P-Snugpak-Patrol-Poncho/dp/B00PUDT8XM
    You can also get a poncho liner that's like a woobie with sleeves, not that you'd likely need that in your neck of the woods.

central joe likes this.
  12. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    e630d1febab4ae58b6759cc03105ad45.jpg

central joe, svh and Wasp like this.
  13. gdwigg

gdwigg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few different Frogg Toggs items. One of the is a hip length jacket with a nice tall collar and a detachable hood. It’s lightweight and dry, unfortunately this one has no pockets.
    I really like it and it was around $25.
    I’ve stashed FTs ponchos, jackets, and rain suits stashed in packs, vehicles, etc, they’re cheap and do the job.

central joe likes this.
  14. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    The price is good on that jacket. Where do you recommend I buy one?

I just bought a Frogg Togg jacket. So far, so good, but it might be a tad shorter than OP is looking for.

central joe likes this.
  15. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got mine from a flea market in budapest, if you're ever in the area ;)

Otherwise I can't say right now, everywhere seems sold out of them! I keep looking for another to stash away for when mine dies. Although i've done some pretty harsh work in it and no rips or anything yet.

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. Some of these suggestions I know of and am considering, and there's a few I haven't heard about. More researching to do!

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Creaky Bones... That looks kinda interesting... doesn't look like it comes in more colors (green?!) I normally carry a field jacket liner if it's cold out... haven't found much better/cheaper for the 12oz except down. I'll have to check into this.

17. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I got mine in olive green. It also comes in coyote brown.
    Snugpak Patrol Poncho, Olive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B8FYBA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.I8wAb78Y002Q

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Seeker likes this.
  18. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have seen them for a little cheaper with free shipping from ebay. Some even between $20 and $30.. They look like a decent mix between poncho and jacket. Anyone have experience with how breathable they are? I think pertex is suppsoed to be, to some extent? Otherwise it looks like a sweatbox.