Packing Bow/Buck Saw Blades into the woods

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Not Sure, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This has eluded me for some time. I wanted to take just the saw-blade and make my own saw.
    Problem was packing a toothy blade in my pack. Went to Home Depot in the Vinyl section and got this.
    Simple U-Shaped 8' piece of molding. Works great, made 3 saw-blade carriers.
    Quick fuzzy picture and a picture of a saw I made the other night.
    I wanted to do all the saw cutting with the saw-blade so I wrapped a rag around it.

IMG_0016.JPG IMG_4983.JPG

My Vintage Project 1 Standing Guard.

R Stowe, UAHiker, savage99nc and 6 others like this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice! Good skill to have (making a bucksaw from scratch). Are those 24" or 32"? (prob 32 if you only got 3 out of 8').

Another way to do it is carrying the blade in a tin. Old timers used some sort of tobacco tin that was the right size, apparently, roughly 1.5" high by 6" across. They'd roll the blade and wrap some string around the teeth to keep it rolled, then set it in the tin or wrapped it in another cloth to protect from the teeth. You can't really roll a blade much tighter than that. I think there are 32mm film cans about that size, from home movies, thought the 8 and 16 were more common.

I sometimes carry a 24" blade in my belt... just a piece of roughly 30" riggers belt sewn to the inside of my regular woods belt. Full seam across each end and the bottom edge, and then 3 tacks, iirc, unevenly spaced (roughly at the 6, 12, and 18" mark from one edge, leaving a larger 'gap' through which to insert the saw easily.) it then carries around my waist from roughly front of one hip to front of other hip. Pic below is top view showing 2 of the tacked points.

IMG_5399.JPG

3. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like this..............

Seeker likes this.
  4. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My stainless cook pot is 7" in diameter and that's where my 24" blade resides. I wrap it up in the way described above. The cordage I use for tension is the cordage I tie the blade with.

5. bigfoots

bigfoots Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good idea! I've been putting my bow saw blade in a length of 1" Pvc pipe.

Not Sure likes this.