Packing Just Got a Lot Easier

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by BradGad, Sep 21, 2018.

1. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Burrow Econ 20 sleeping quilt is terrific. I've never been so warm and comfortable on the trail. The quality is excellent and the simple design is extremely efficient.

1AC32629-BEF4-47C0-A835-FE8F26B1574F.jpeg

I was thinking about getting some compression straps to reduce the packed volume, but then I got a notion and went in a different direction. It turns out the Burrow Econ 20, along with my Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite sleeping pad, a 10 x 10 silnylon tarp, and the paracord ridgeline for the tarp will all fit in the Burrow's stuff sack. A complete and very roomy shelter and sleep system in one small bag that weighs 3 lbs 9.65 oz... 3 lbs 14.6 oz with a Tyvek groundcloth.

2. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They are nice quilts for sure. My only concern with packing it all in one bag is when your tarp and ridgeline is wet, so is your sleeping bag. Just something to think about when in use.

3. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good point!

But the tarp has a sewn-in stuff sack/pocket. Easy to go back to separate packing if needed.

Bobsdock and Todd1hd like this.
  4. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another cool thing is just stuff the quilt in your bag wherever, actually packs in a bit more efficiently. That said I have a compression sack that I use that's pretty good. Get's my quilt down pretty small.

Bobsdock and BradGad like this.
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like to keep my quilts and "sleeping" clothes separate from everything else to make absolutely positively sure they stay dry, but stuffing your quilts around other more shape-defined items definitely helps save space and fill out a pack to a nicer-carrying shape.

6. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Couple years back I did an experimental poncho lean-to in a severe thunderstorm camp out.
    It really wasn't that cold the night I did that, and my soaked synthetic bag was overrated enough to keep me totally warm but there was something about laying in a wet bag that is just bad,... that little bit of sand turns gritty lol
    "I thought to myself that night,"this is just survival,...this is not what I do"

Quilt, under quilt, and actual hammock, should probably be stored separately from the tarp and hammock straps, wick lines.

I camp on the ground and my sleeping clothes and bag are each in there own bags. If its wet, I dont open my sleep clothes until I have the shelter and air mattress up and have used my camp towel in it. Then I use the camp towel some more before I take out the sleeping bag.

7. Chorazin

Chorazin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a silnylon bear bag throw from Dutchware, I store my hammock straps in that to make it multifunctional.

8. Xackman

Xackman Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    If you pack the UQ, Hammock and Tarp in a loose fitting stuff Sack, it can still form to items inside the pack without compromising contamination/ Dry/ Wetness.