Packrods - fishing poles you take with you while trekking/hiking, what do you use....

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by La\\//inci, Aug 16, 2019.

1. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Tracker

Blog Posts:
    lets see your four-piece fishing poles, telescopic, etc......
    what are choosing to carrying in your packs and what are you taking with you on your treks in to the backcountry for freshwater fishing.

I would be interested in your impressions, what works and what doesn't work.

I myself am interested in spin fishing poles... but open to fly fishing poles.
    I am considering taking the plunge, 8'6" would be ideal length...
    four-piece spin pole
    carbon fiber, would be durable, but how is the fishing?
    some thing that can fit in a backpack

Paulyseggs likes this.
  2. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    when backpacking and fishing I either bring my ice fishing jigging pole
    or small 2 piece kids pole strapped to side of my pack,
    a good small reel on a kids zebco works just fine,

Seeker and La\\//inci like this.
  3. SavageJak

SavageJak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tenkara. My Nissin ProSpec 2 way is my go to. Gives me 2 lengths to use (10.2ft and 11.8ft). Pretty much the only way I fresh water fish at all anymore.

La\\//inci likes this.
  4. LoaferX

LoaferX Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a couple of five piece ultralight poles (4' 6") from Shakespeare with small/tiny Quantum spinning reels. Every catch feels big with these.
    Then when you take a picture, the fish looks that much bigger :4:
    5PiecePoles.jpg
    Huyck Perch.JPG

Kirk Lunsford, Kenneth, Teeps and 6 others like this.
  5. Royal Wulff

Royal Wulff Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry a small ultalite spinning rod - a tiny two piece Ugly Stik and a Shakespeare reel or, more often, a 7' 4wt 4 piece fly rod with the flies for the area I'm going. They both work well where I tend to go. I tend to strap them to my pack rather than put them inside.

La\\//inci and woodsranger like this.
  6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Zebco Dock Demon with an upgraded reel. Was using Zebco 202 but just got a Daiwa Silvercast 80A 20190816_102945_Film3.jpg
    Landed some decent fish. 4lb bass. Nice pickerel. Lots of panfish

7. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Last time out I took a Pen Fishing Rod "Backpacker", model FD150. My dad got interested in them and sent me one to try out. I had the pole in a side pocket and the reel rolled up in some spare clothes. Compared to a traditional rig it is super easy to pack.

Until recently I've always used a telescoping fishing rod gifted by my brother in the 80's. I can't remember the brand even but it wasn't anything fancy or expensive.... but it works fine. I used to pair it with an Abu Garcia 762GTi reel and later a pretty nice Quantum reel that I just gifted to my son.

My brother gifted me a Wright & McGill ultralight rod a while back, with a tiny Mitchell 310. I fish left handed and the Mitchell can't be switched L/R retrieve. :( My current evil plot is to pair that rod with something like a Pflueger President (size 20) and use that for ultralight / backpacking.

Have not ever tried tenkara. I'd really like to give it a try someday.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    woodsranger likes this.
  8. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First picture is the pack rod that was given to me by my Uncle when I received my NYS Guides license. It is marked Union Hardware Company. Only used it a couple of times because I was afraid of losing it.
    Second picture is the rod I pack with me now. It is an Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Great for Brookies.
    Third pic is a Horrocks Ibbotson reel that was given to me by my Great Uncle and I slightly modified to fit on either rod.

917DA5A6-D4C9-4A1A-B705-19C5777AEF7B.jpeg 96C6042F-9B6E-4E37-A544-9C4DE7C71098.jpeg 38F393E0-8ED6-49A8-A61B-E55E28E238D3.jpeg

Lichen, mcdudr, La\\//inci and 2 others like this.
  9. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    2 piece, 7ft, Okuma SST.
    I see no need to pack any smaller.
    I've got others. An ice rod, a telescopic, a 5 piece 7ft, etc. Those work just fine, but nothing is really gained by going so small.

La\\//inci likes this.
  10. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Went down to bass pro shops tonight to check out what they had. They had a nice Ugly stick 6’, 4-piece , medium light action. Felt nice... good price $39. But I passed on it.
    The first segment above the handle had a huge eyelet. I could get it to fit in the case I want to use.

I’m looking for a rod similar to the union hardware company. A rod with small eyelets all the way up to the tip-top.

Back50 and aaronu like this.
  11. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an Eagle Claw trailmaster, I got in the service out in CO in the 70s. 6 sections with a aluminum tube. I caught many trout in CO and continued after with it. It took a rest when I took up flyfishing, but I took it out recently and gave it a cleaning. It still looks almost new.

woodsranger, La\\//inci and Back50 like this.
  12. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My freshwater rod:

[​IMG]

I usually don`t bother to take the tube.

La\\//inci likes this.
  13. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Daiwa takedown pack rods and Emrods.

La\\//inci likes this.
  14. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like my evil plan worked out (see my earlier post in this thread).

The BIL gifted me the smallest size of Pflueger President reel. It is both the smallest and nicest reel I've ever owned. I plan to load this with 2 lb. mono or 4 lb braid and take it up to some of the mountain lakes and springs.

Wright & McGill 5' "Feather Light", rated for 2-6 lb monofilament and 1/16 to 3/8 oz lures. I have some small Kastmasters, Rooster Tails and Panther Martins, and might try those little 1/64 oz Trout Magnets.

IMG_0249.JPEG

If the stars align that will be within the next month but come heck or high water I'll be packing it in to some alpine lakes next spring as soon as the roads are open.

Plainsman, colter and woodsranger like this.
  15. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    quoting my post from this thread: https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/fishing-setup-for-backpacking.216676/

I no longer keep the set at my dad's because I live within driving distance now. I have two of those cheap 4' kids rods, and they do break down into 2 pieces. The small plastic dowel thing sticking out of the hole in the one reel turned out to be an electrical wire nut. Still works though, but I've discovered that it doesn't have a drag (or at least I can't find an adjustable one on it).

16. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

Blog Posts:
    Maybe joining this pass around might help.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/t-darrah-perpetual-tenkara-pass-around-little-water.223609/

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth

aaronu likes this.
  17. Kirk Lunsford

Kirk Lunsford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of Cabela's stowaways, a 5-piece 7 1/2 ft, 3/4 weight and a 6-piece nine and a half foot 6/7 weight, with reels and extra cartridges and a small spinning reel that will fit either.

18. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    20180422_160240.jpg

I carry my dad's Eagle Claw spin/fly combo breakdown rod. He purchased it in the early 70s at the bx when we were stationed in Weisbaden Germany.

A little heavier option but it carries too many memories to leave it at home.

aaronu and woodsranger like this.
  19. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Quality 4 piece fly rod. A bit long strapped to the pack, but I love my fishing and it's not worth it to me to compromise on gear when there is tremendous fishing to be had in the backcountry. I usually carry a 5wt or 4wt, depending on the kind of waters I'll be fishing most.

In the past I carried a 4pc ugly stick conventional rod. It worked fine but those things cast like they are made of pure rubber. Were I to go conventional again I'd pack something a bit better quality.

20. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 pice 5 wt. Surprisingly good action and able to snag bushes with the best of them

21. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these. I really like it. I've taken it to Alaska twice, in my suitcase. I caught some very nice salmon 5lb or so with it. I casts really well, is sturdy and well made. Mine is 9ft long and collapses to about 20".

aaronu and colter like this.