Pals webbing medium alice

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Mycroft Groks, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Mycroft Groks

Mycroft Groks Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,
    Long time lurker here, but after looking at all the hellcat alice packs, I've decided to build one as my medium molle II is just to small sometimes and the Large Molle II is a monster. One is too small for more than 3 days and one is way too big.

I've settled on doing the Medium Alice with my spare FILBE frame, pads and belt. I have the MSS carrier so I'll be using that for my MSS.

I'm trying to find an Alice medium pack that is all pals webbing. As in no outside pouches. And I'm at a loss here. I have a shop that I can take a regular medium to and have them put on the webbing(I had them take out the guts of my medium molle II main compartment and do 6 rows of pals webbing on the back. Works out great for hydration carrier and other small pouches).

Does anyone have an solution for a full pals webbing medium alice? Or am I going to have to have the alice webbing and outer pouches removed and pals put in? I intend to put more webbing inside the pack as I did to my medium molle as well.

blind & lost likes this.
  2. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Spec Ops Ruck is all I know of that comes close to your request. But it still has pouches on the outside as well as Molle

blind & lost likes this.
  3. Mycroft Groks

Blog Posts:
    I did see the SORD large field pack that was all pals, but I didn't see a medium sized one. They have a day pack that looks like the medium, but there's not much info on it.

@Panzer. I did see that one before. I got a quote of 200 to sew on all the pals webbing on a regular medium. With the cost of a regular medium, I could keep it under 250, if I went used. 178 and then another 200 on that is just out of my pocket range. I do appreciate the reply though.

blind & lost likes this.
  4. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never seen a Medium sized ALICE pack bag thats all MOLLE/PALS with no external pockets available commercially... all I see are the Large sized and custom sewn. It should be relatively simple to make, just a lot of time on the bartacking portion. You might be better off contracting a shop to make one from scratch if you provide the materials;

1) 1 to 2 yards of 500D to 1000D Cordura, Rockywoods have them in various colors

2) Mil Spec 1337 webbing, or Lite Weight Nylon webbing, Rockywoods(most mil colors) again, or Country Brook Designs (less colors available, but OD#7, Olive Green, Coyote MARPAT brown are available)

3) ITW Nexus repair buckles/hardware, coyote, tan, black, can be found on ebay, or amazon

4) 3/8" to 1/2" CCF foam padding for the upper shoulder back pad, can source from old sleep pads in thrift stores, garage sales, yard sales, rummage sales, or order new online

5) grommets for draw cord

6) paracord for draw cord

7) Cord Loc, or barrel loc for draw cord

8) optional, velcro panels for patches or for map pocket on flap, whatever width, or length

9) optional, clear vinyl for map pocket, or mesh for pocket; 1/4 - 1/2 yard should be plenty.

This would reduce the costs to make a pack a bit by the shop not having to order all of the above or use their supplies for modifying the Medium ruck, and they would not need to disassemble the original pack which takes up a lot of time away from the sewing. On the other hand, a pattern is needed for them, but it should be easier to take the measurements from the original pack's seams and add 1/2-1" per measurement for seam clearance, plus whatever is needed for the top flap.

Mycroft Groks likes this.
  5. Mycroft Groks

Blog Posts:
    That's what I figured. I can't find one either, only a large one. I'll most likely buy the milspec webbing and a used medium Alice. I can remove the pouches from it, that's no problem and I've sewn on quick disconnect buckles on my other packs. I'll have the shop sew the webbing. They did a fairly good job on the molle medium already.

6. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Shoe cobbler might be better equipped to sew the webbing onto the pack bag without disassembling it

Edit: its mostly because of how the pack is laid out. Open at one end, and the webbing stitching is perpendicular to the opening, as opposed to horizontally which most machines can do (similar to jeans, pants, shirts)

7. Mycroft Groks

Blog Posts:
    That's exactly who I've been using on my packs. I learned my lesson from having a regular tailor work on my large molle II.

CamoDeafie82 likes this.
  8. Chromando

Chromando Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Mycroft Groks

Blog Posts:
    Chromando likes this.
  10. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    In one of their posts related to that modification; they mentioned asking a commercial sew shop to make a limited run of new packs made to that same specification for $75-125 each; I emailed the author of those posts, have not heard back from them, did anyone here also contact them; and if so, were there follow up?

Chromando likes this.
  11. Chromando

Chromando Scout

Blog Posts:
    I cannot seem to find out if that happened either. A shame if it did not happen.

12. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I do think that there is a market for 30-35L MOLLE pack bags thats as simple as the modded ALICE Mediums shown in the blog posts... most MOLLE bags of that approximate size have compartments and pockets that takes away from the simple bag size, like 35 liters total, but each main compartment is like 12-14 liters and then there's the external pockets giving the additional volume.

13. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    http://cpgear.com/create_products/64-Ruck-Multi-Frame-Gen4?c=2493588&n=30366646&pn=1

CP gear has a rucksack that's 2100 cubic inches, 34something Liters, fits 5 different frames, including the ALICE frame and the two DEI MOLLE frames; but its closer to how the old 1960s Rucksack is shaped, being short and wide with similar depth.
    Its 14" tall, 15" wide, 10" deep; seems can fit both ways (top or bottom, seems bottom is more popular) on a frame.