Panic bag part 2...contents

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by THRsucks, May 5, 2018.

1. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    20180505_095332.jpg

1. Food items that require little or no preparation. That are light weight and compact.

2. Basic hygiene items, mini tooth brush, tooth paste, (straight razor not pictured), deodorant.
    3. Stainless water bottle, and gorrilla tape.
    4. Pelican headlamp.
    5. Leatherman multi tool (not pictured)
    6. Peak gear belly wallet. RFID blocking
    7. Altoids tin, rare coins and one gold coin. A old hotel key (we can get to that later) and a autographed origami 1$ bill ring.
    8. Ace brand playing cards.
    9. Paracord
    10. Extra charge cables, ear buds.
    11. Dummy wallet, passport, and check book.
    12. Lock picks, button compass, flash drive, SD card and adapter. Sog folding knife/ money clip. (Note: 20180505_095332.jpg 20180505_095415.jpg small bills on outside.)
    13. A note book with marker and pen.
    14. My pocket ref, and a beagle bone black single board computer.
    15. Water filter (from walmart)
    16. A highsecurity bubble wrap envelope.
    17. Diamond Candy back pack, and marmot sleeping bag (poncho not pictured)
    18. Bible, and a crossword puzzle (not pictured).

Other items carried but not pictured, a string line level, paper clips, a Smith's pocket survivor, safety pins, large needles, a small fishing kit, wet naps, rubber bands and unflavored dental floss.

That yellow thing in one of the thumbnails is a floating thing-a-ma-jig you can put your safety deposite box key on in case you end up on a boat in costa rica.

Attached Files:

Rockgod1619 likes this.
  2. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rare coins are great, but they only have value if the other party knows they are valuable. Look into some silver 1oz bullion, I suggest the rectangular ones. No one will mistake them for coins and almost everyone understands silver. Each of them is approx, a US $20 (give or take). But I have found the perceived value, by many, to be near double that.

3. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the reference book but what use does it have in the field?

THRsucks and atlastrekker like this.
  4. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I hope that I'm just being a little slow as usual, but how is this different than a man purse/EDC kit? I bring along something similar everywhere I go.

THRsucks likes this.
  5. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The pocket ref is actually really handy to have around. I usually have one in arms reach throughout the day. There is all kinds of great info in there, it's kinda the precursor to Google or something like that.

THRsucks likes this.
  6. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Every bag ought to have a 1L platypus in it. Totally flat, no weight, holds 1L of water. Costs $12

7. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like it! Some items I don't understand. The single board computer. What it is and for, I guess?
    I agree with a pocket ref. Times when your tired and hungry. Just can't remember that knot, that would work perfect. That kind of thing. I was gifted these. So I can't tell you where to find them. Playing cards with flora info on each one. If you can find some your cards can do double duty. ;)
    Cheers Jim
    20180102_062615.jpg

8. Burncycle

Burncycle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's one of those neat books that I can't believe is not available in .pdf / digital format yet....

Guttersnipe and THRsucks like this.
  9. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Because the bag is information based, you may not get all the information you need without google.

If for instance you need to know how to signal in morse code, or how to temper a piece of steel if you must make a cutting tool you can do that (just as an example) besides that it is great reading on long flights, and it did come in handy on my last mission trip overseas during a building project.

Guttersnipe and chndlr04 like this.
  10. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    The SBC can be mounted to any available television with the correct adapters, if you could not get wifi, you could use ethernet, you can also add any peripheral devices you might need, like a magnetic key card/reader and writer, or a near field communication device for finding other types of signals. The sky is the limit.

Rockgod1619, Guttersnipe and Zunga like this.
  11. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    In my first post i explain what a panic bag is, it is about what you can provide for yourself with the right amount of information. Of course EDC tools are great to have, and very important. But, if you have enough information you dont need as much equipment.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  12. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you reach customs and border patrol, you cannot carry more than a specific dollar amount without declaring it. The coins, while rare are interpreted to be face value. I have those coins because i go thru my change and cash once a week for anything potentially rare.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  13. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a water bladder. It rocks. But yeah that is a great way to go.

Guttersnipe and Wasp like this.
  14. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine actually stays empty most of the time, but its nice to have options. I carry it in addition to a regular bottle.

Guttersnipe and THRsucks like this.
  15. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Please note the security envelope.

These are very useful for carrying sensitive information and/or sensitive objects. You could potentially mail a package to yourself marked "general delivery" to the destination of your choice for pick up. Sometimes having some form of tamper proofing is important, especially when traveling in places that may have less than scrupulous officials.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  16. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love the cards, i posted an article of my edc/card story... i write notes on the playing cards, and use them for lots of things....in the other post i show how to count cards, and use them for physical cryptography

Guttersnipe and Zunga like this.
  17. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Wasp one alternative that i like to use over the bladders is oven bags, you can actually expose them to allot of heat/hot rocks etc. For water purification. Or place over a leafy plant to collect water from evaporation.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  18. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are a few other gizmos i like but i havent shown.

One of them is called a "biege box" (circa 1990s phone phreaking) and the other is my nooelec SDR: software defined radio...not as cool as the gadzooks hackRF but still pretty cool. There is a great software package on the android playstore so you can use it via a USB 3.0 dongle on your smart phone.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  19. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another great use for the reference manual is for making calls when you need to know airport names or international telecom codes.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  20. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    The crossword has cryptography uses as well, if you go to the solutions page you can create a word bank for the message you wish to create. Page 1. Crossword one, 4. accross etcetera. You could use it for allot of things, like a really fun geocaching game. You could make it as simple as altering a file name in a digital photograph to provide a "solution number" for the prize.