Patagonias Hyperpuff query

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Moondog55, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It seems that the replacement for the long standing DAS parka is no longer available. Does anybody here know why ?
    I have heard some scattered remarks about fragility of the shell but nothing substantial.
    They were never brought into Australia so I've not had a chance to try one on, but my big thought when looking at photos was that the cut was too slim for real belay parka use
    Any long time users of the garment here who can comment?

2. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    they dropped the DAS in 2017 and brought out the Hyperpuff, the Hyperpuff is a nice synthetic jacket, but while warm, it's not as warm as the DAS was

personally I think they dropped the DAS as most mountaineers were more often going w/ down over syn for a really warm jacket

For a really warm synthetic parka- I'd go with Nunatak (5 oz Apex)- all continuous fiber (vs the DAS which had a mix of continuous and short fiber syn) and with fabrics like Robic you can get superior wind and light precip on top of the warmth

rustystove2017 likes this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'd have agreed with that but they sold more of the DAS in Scotland where it is wet, wet, wet than almost anywhere else. Perhaps most US climbers were simply buying surplus L-7s so they needed something different? Functionally the L-7 and the DAS are indistinguishable apart form the drab colour they are the same cut and oversized fit. My trip over the pond is cancelled so I no longer need to dream of new gear.