Pathfinder stove vs. d.i.y. fancy feast stove

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by ponchomatt, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ponchomatt

ponchomatt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So while digging through some kit the other day I came across 2 of my stoves ready to duke it out. (Had to stop these guys before someone got stabbed) 71BA4211-9E86-42A6-B545-930C0329B31A.jpeg
    The test was simple. Who can boil two cups of cold water for me the quickest using heet as the fuel source.
    Let’s start with the pathfinder stove.
    AB0A4FB7-4F25-40FB-9639-948F43A3E77B.jpeg
    This stove was given to me as a gift so no money came out of my pocket for this review. This really is a neat stove. Came with a windscreen/flame regulator, o-ring sealed cap, and a snuffing cap for when you are done. Although this stove weighs more than it’s competition it is a very sturdy built stove that will last for a long time. Now to the meat and taters of this review. This is the part that bothers me about this stove. I had to constantly relight it until the fuel was heated up and the stove primed before I could even put my cup on to begin boiling water. Once on the flame it took a little over 12 minutes to boil 16 oz. of water.
    The competition
    310A07FB-1BF1-40C5-8AD6-C0D0D27623C6.jpeg
    This is my d.i.y. Fancy feast stove. Cost me less than a buck to make and is super super light. The downfall is if packed wrong in your pack it can bend and twist some but will by no means crush under the weight of a bush pot. When nested into a cook pot though you have no worries. This really is a no frills stove. Getting down to business. This stove primes in no time at all. You literally light it, wait a couple seconds and throw your cup or pot on. In just barely over 7 minutes I had water boiling over and coming out.
    AAB3E5A2-C789-484E-8D9A-D5107F9B01C5.jpeg
    Needless to say my d.i.y. Stove kicked the pathfinder stoves butt on boil time. Simple answer to this though is with the pathfinder stove you cook/boil on the windscreen/flame regulator. This design places the cup farther from the flame and increases boil time. With the fancy feast stove you place your cup directly on the stove so the flame is right on it. There are pros and cons to both depending on intended use of the stove. To just boil water quickly direct flame is great but for cooking something, a little lower heat would be good. I believe both stoves are great additions of kit minus inherent flaws that both have and would not hesitate to take either on an adventure. Thanks and enjoy
    Happy trails
    Poncho

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only time I use my Pathfinder stove is if I need a long burning flame.
    I wish they had made it from brass to better heat up and bloom.

3. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My DIY Fancy Feast stove did this, just after lighting it in high wind and it only took a couple seconds before putting pot on top. They are fun to play with but are not what I consider durable at all.
    IMG_1627.JPG

4. Calicoast

Calicoast Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1, for grabbing / using the Pathfinder stove for extended burn times. Holds a bunch of fuel, no leaks or issues after the initial break in for me. The lid for simmering works, but could be made better. Overall solid. Boil times could improve by cutting down the pot stand.

Thinking I might dedicate the Pathfinder to car camping. i.e. one of those new red Sterno stove kits and get the height right for boiling, cooking, etc.
    C

Attached Files:

MrFixIt, PAcanis and ponchomatt like this.
  5. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    I have used mine on several outings with no ill effects but never in high wind conditions. Thanks for the input.

MrFixIt and Tangotag like this.
  6. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    you made me go back and check the stats for my Pocket Rocket vs White Box stove chalenge

using a 500ml Ti pot w/ measured 3-cups of water(OP boiled 2-cups in his test)

Pocket rocket(canister/LP) = 5 minutes 50seconds(no cost calculations possible)

White Box Stove burning denatured alcohol = 5± minutes( 21¢/1.5oz worth of fuel when bought @ Wally World by the qt)

White Box Stove burning yellow HEET = 5± minutes(20¢/1.5oz worth of fuel when bought @ the local sleazy stop self serve fuel station)

the cost of fuel WILL fluctuate depending on the size of container & where you buy

my White Box Stove cost < $20 shipped

the Pocket Rocket was $2 @ a garage sale

LP canisters vary in price depending on where/what time of year you buy them

NORMAL WARNING: you must play outside w/ these toys/tools since breathing the fumes will make your babies be born'd nekkid, toofless & bald head'd :-O

MrFixIt and ponchomatt like this.
  7. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love my Fancy Feast aka Supercat stoves. Many burns and no melting yet. For slightly longer burn times you can make one with a single row of holes.

MrFixIt and ponchomatt like this.
  8. ponchomatt

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. I’ve had great luck with mine too

MrFixIt likes this.