Peenee in a Bottle

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by SpecialAgentDBCooper, Nov 30, 2017.

1. SpecialAgentDBCooper

SpecialAgentDBCooper Scout

Blog Posts:
    It would have to be pretty cold for me not to want to get up to pee. But once I get that urge, if I don't go, it'll drive me mad. I won't be able to sleep and it'll be all I can think about. Very annoying.

I'm beginning to think a diaper is the most effective solution here.

alukban and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  2. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Why bother? Cut out the middle man and introduce him directly to R. Kelly.

That guys gotta be 40% piss by now.

3. dmangler

dmangler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

There it is.

SpecialAgentDBCooper likes this.
  4. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    NO & knot yet...

5. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    At "The Original Place" was an old travel trailer parked on our land...
    Had a deck by the door....
    Being there alone a lot of times....would just get up and go out to the end of the deck...and let her rip.
    All sorts of weather....and you would be surprised that you really did get cold till you were done....then going back in was a great.

Out there one morning doing my duty....cold and frosty, full moon, so was real bright.....

Was about half done looked up by the gate...saw a "shape"...then the "shape" snorted...was a big buck...but the steam was blowing out and up....
    Startled/scared the heck out of me....

From that day forward....used a pee bottle.

Was interesting to know that the grass always used be real green around the deck...don't know why?.

6. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a wide mouth Nalgene that is marked to avoid confusion. I have tried Gatorade bottles before and they are just too prone to accidents, they are not that wide at the opening.

7. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I tried one of those a few years ago for wearing to a movie the theater and riding my motorcycle.

The one problem is that it's almost necessary to stand while using it. Also, the rubber sleeve was incredibly tight, cutting off circulation to the 'junk', if you know what I mean. To put it on, it was all but necessary to have an erection, which necessitates a trip to the local women's business college or the public pool... which will also get you arrested, pretty much EVERY time!

I suggest a Vicky's Secret catalog.

Steve

8. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Gold. This is gold.

Trader Tut likes this.
  9. OldMan

OldMan Artist, Trapper, Hunter, all around woods bum

Blog Posts:
    Good suggestion! Gatorade bottles are too small to fit in and trying to aim in the dark is no fun. As one who is on 5 different diuretics 'going' during the night is something that affects me often as in nightly and then there's the danged volume. I use the large OJ bottle or a few of those hospital urinals.

And no, don't see no reason to sleep with the bottle after. While we all have our quirks and kinks that's just weird.

bgf and SpecialAgentDBCooper like this.
  10. NWArkOz

NWArkOz Tracker

Blog Posts:
  11. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    this is also what I use winter camping- I'm definitely not going to be rolling out of warm sleeping bag, putting boots (and a coat?) on, unzipping the tent, stumbling around in the cold, get back in the tent, zipping it back up, taking boots off and getting back in my bag

instead-break the widemouth out, roll on your side, wizz, secure cap- done

in a snow cave/trench or floorless shelter you don't even need a bottle :)

12. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    32 oz nalgene with a bio hazard sticker so everyone knows!
    Also holding your pee will make you colder. Better to empty out you will stay warmer.

13. YellowstoneSquatch

YellowstoneSquatch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was stationed in Alaska white in the Army. iv been in the field with temps exceeding - 50 below. I get up to pee. When I can no longer do that, I’ll quit camping.

14. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I learned long ago ,
    1. don't drink a lot at night, do most of my hydrating during the day.
    2.take care of business just before going to bed whether i feel the need to or not.
    3. urination is done around the tent/sleeping area. in theory repels snakes .

15. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys! All this information is very useful!

I need to build up the courage to go out there by myself. Haha. I'm not afraid of the dark or anything like that, but with my experience, and no dog, I'd probably have a bit of a hard time relaxing to really enjoy it. Especially if it's really cold. I usually go with my uncle, but he's all "I've gone winter camping before, it's not fun. Why don't you just camp out on the deck?" The backyard just isn't the same thing.. When I do, I can figure out what's best for me to pee in!

mtwarden likes this.
  16. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just don't know why you're scared of loosing heat. You'll get it back when you get in the bag again. Just get up and pee. No reason to risk pissing the bag and ruining it. Plus going to bed with a full bladder in the winter makes you colder.

17. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Not scared of losing heat really. I would much rather be cold all night than be wet of pee all night. I has started this thread because I was curious how everyone did it and how they managed to keep clean. Part of me thought there were various sophisticated methods that I was not aware of, but in the end it was all about personal preference. I enjoyed the discussion. Personally, I think I'll get up and TCB. I'll walk past the fire and stoke it while I'm at it.

But if you are referencing my previous post about lacking courage to "go out there by myself", that isn't just about losing heat. Haha. I was talking about camping alone during the winter in general. Still a bit of a newbie.

freebirdfb and CharClothed like this.
  18. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish I had thought about these as a teen. There was one winter I watched said urine start to freeze on the ground. That night staying in the shelter would have been preferable.

19. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have no problem peeing in a bottle and it does not even have to be winter, i was working a couple months ago in the high Sierras and we had a storm that rolled through punishing us with high winds and rain, did not second guess the bottle over getting my sleeping gear soaked in rain. Technique comes with practice, never have I had a spill. The worst scenario happens when one's bladder is bigger than the piss bottle, better hope your pubococcygeus muscle are in shape.

20. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting input. In a rainy situation, a pee bottle would definitely be preferable.

Regardless of my preference, I should definitely get some practice with this skill. I may not use it during the winter, but if it starts to pour and I don't have a tarp situation well enough to get up and pee, I'm definitely busting out the bottle.

21. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Folgers new plastic jar has a less then water proof lid dag nab it .
    I use an old Nalgene bottle now .
    I always hammock camp in the winter so you just skooch up toward the tree in a semi sitting position and use the wide mouth . If you are a dribbler NYou might want to linger a moment before removing .
    I camped with a guy who used his regular drinking bottle when I asked him if he threw it away “ nah I just rinse it out and use it for a water bottle it’s my urine after all “ He was originally from Texas and was an ex Marine so
    You know .
    I usually dump it in a hole in the snow since I use it multiple times in the night . It will freeze in your bottle otherwise .

22. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Apparently none of you fellas have been standing in front of a urinal and pissed on both of your shoes.

23. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
  24. billdawg

billdawg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The older I get, the more I have to pee in the night. Usually 2-3 times. I've used a pee bottle for years. I use a 64oz old, cheap Nalgene, that I use just for that. Rinse it out each day, and then wash it well when I get back home.

25. prybry

prybry Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a bright orange GSI water bottle... orange color is a warning! also a good color to camouflage the yellow contents;}
    [​IMG]
    The string retainer on the cap also helps as does the rubber grip on the bottle... cold sleepy hands. It does not match any of my other water bottles for obvious reasons!

26. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    had to whiz when it was -18f. just bit the bullet and opened the tent door , the tent was dug in about 2' below snow surface, and whizzed in the snow bank.

27. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    Empty Gatorade bottle.....

28. Hippielatenight

Hippielatenight Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use an empty and cleaned-out mayonnaise container. It has a wider opening than a gatorade bottle. I'm not a big fan of opaque containers after I had an exceptionally active bladder one night and I couldn't tell that my container was already pretty full....
    Whatever container you use you should be able to tie a string around and hang it below your hammock, then pull it up via the string when you need it. Works well, and no risk if you don't seal it properly.

29. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If it is too cold to pee on the ground, outside the tent/bag/hammock, it is too cold to be out. Thanks. I haven't found it too cold ever...

30. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    You guys can't reach outside from your bag?

drobs and SpecialAgentDBCooper like this.
  31. NWArkOz

NWArkOz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I gotta be careful to not touch the ground.
    Personally, I get out, put on my camp shoes and head to the tree at my foot end. I may be shivering, but sometimes I look up and see the most beautiful star filled sky.

32. ridge rover

ridge rover Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For car camping, a Gatorade bottle is cheap and works. But for boating and lightweight camping, suck it up and get a small Nalgene Kanteen. That's the lightest, most secure, and most compact way to go. That's what I did several years ago and am glad I did!

I experimented with several other ideas like ziplock bags, etc. Spilled a lot of pee! There's a lot of security in the Nalgene Canteen. Its a flexible bottle suited for different body contortions, when you try to pee. https://www.campingsurvival.com/tsa-approved-travel-bag-items/nawimoca32oz.html

33. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ditto. i also use a wide mouth and do the same thing :) simple and easy!

34. James MacRae

James MacRae Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I carry multiple 32oz bottles, one of my blood pressure meds makes me... well you know

bgf and SpecialAgentDBCooper like this.
  35. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I know this thread has mostly died down, but I wanted to thank everyone with their input. This has definitely been this most laughs I had over a post.

I recently had a chance to do a backyard gear test at -20c and found that even if I wanted use a jar, I'd have to zip my MMS mostly open, at which point, it's easier to just get up and out to pee.

Also, I think I may have somehow gotten stuck in my sleep system. I was extremely constricted. I think the ability to button all those layers together is a bit of a curse. I'm pretty sure I had more room when the system isn't buttoned together. Perhaps I'll try to jar next time with more room..

36. NWArkOz

NWArkOz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's been a fun thread. I had to scroll back up to the original post to remember if we were talking about ground camping or hammock camping. I think they might make a difference. Being older and diabetic, I go often, but I still like getting up out of my hammock. I remember being all bound up ground sleeping and I guess I see the purpose of a bottle. If I ground camp, I've completely gone to a quilt and an insulated mattress and it's pretty straight forward to get up and out. It's all a preference, I think. The old days, it was definitely exhilarating to stand up in the opening to pee out of an alpine tent and it was a lot better to use a bottle. And days in a snow cave just meant keeping separate the end of the cave where you peed and the end you got the snow to melt. I remember years ago hitchhiking and being amazed the truckdriver could go in a bottle while driving. I don't think women would understand this whole thread.

37. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a serious winter/snow camper but definitely find the ability to take leak inside to be convenient in hard rain. I'd go with one of these wide-month Hydrapak Stash bottles, although more costly than a Nalgene.

[​IMG]

Personally I converted over to a floorless mid tent with nest. If I know it's going to be raining, I will pre-dig a cathole on the far/unused side of tent (opposite the door) - just drop the inner tent with one clip, pee, and pile some dirt on top to trap odors. I've even dug catholes inside for my morning deuce under the cover of the fly - of course, this is after I'm all packed and am ready to go, and only wild camping (never establish campsites).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  38. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When its that cold out I am in a little four season tent. It has a back door of sorts that is designed as a gear vestibule(that I don't use for gear). I situate that door at the head of my sleeping bag. I still have to get out of my bag enough to get to my knees and unzip the door. Not to bad..

39. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    Having less dexterity than most who have replied, I will add my view too.
    I would be able to aim a 1ltr bucket, but not whilst laying down. I find those funnels akward, even in my kayak.
    My solution are down slippers/booties on with silicone like soles. Can wear them all night in my bag, so just zipp out from hammock and go if needed. Usually not, I have a travel bladder, sleep over 12hrs without the urge.

40. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the van lives a 32oz gatorade bottle. For the sleeping bag, I knew someone that peed without exiting the bag by,..er.. "rearing up like a cobra" on their knees for the short duration, using the bottle, then lying back down again. The bag was big enough to move in, but not so big as to slide down during the performance. Nothing shown, and didn’t get cold during. Made me think of a tomato worm. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    SpecialAgentDBCooper and bgf like this.
  41. highlighter

highlighter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I once read that military pilots of small planes use ziplock bags with a sponge inside of it or just a diaper.

42. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just a thought, but what's stopping you from having a pee hole? Something you can attach a hose to and put a funnel on that. Won't need to leave the tent and will be fine.

43. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    After my last camping trip, I've come to the conclusion that I am far more concerned with cleanliness than I am finding an easier way to pee. I tried using a Gatorade bottle, it worked, but I didn't like how fully alert and awake I needed to be just to make sure not to get piss anywhere. Getting up and peeing in the wild doesn't require me waking up fully.

Plus, I'm realizing, as I get older, I actually really like the winters. How much more alive can one get than in winter time!??

44. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    AH! The bag and the sponge. That's actually quite smart! The sponge would definitely help keeping droplets from flying. Might have to try that out.. if I can find biodegradable stuff, I can probably just bury or burn the pee..

45. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure this has gone on long enough, it's not like most of us have a choice, it's going to seep out sooner or later no matter how hard you squint your eyes and grit your teeth, so why not just take the hit, get up and go take care of business.
    Yes, you can take a chance at peeing in a bottle, but what do you do if it doesn't go right, you're looking at getting up anyway to clean up your accident, and then you still have to face getting back in your wet bag.
    Seriously, two minutes of discomfort being cold to get a few hours of restful sleep, come on guys/gals, are you capable, or are you wimps. :33:

46. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    maybe some folks don't camp in 6 feet of snow in the middle of winter, but I do. if you have to put your jacket on, your boots on and often your snowshoes on (so you don't sink up to your waist) and then do all of the the same in reverse, you might have a different opinion of what you want to do (or not do) in the middle of the night

in July, yeah- step outside of your shelter in your bare feet, admire the stars, swat a mosquito, take care of business and back to bed- I can tell you it's a wee bit different in February at 10,000' :4:

47. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    Figure if I’m in the van, plenty of room, and no problems. Pulled over on the highway on road trips (usually off a bit) works ok too. Stop, move to the back a step, kneel, pee, resume the trip. Takes longer to pull off than to finish the business. More private than the usual pull over and hide behind the door routine. People know exactly what you’re doing. Drive by a parked car and honk your horn. Same thing if you see a car stopped, and a person walking in a hurried manner back towards their car from the shoulder. No secret.
    It’s kind of a weird joke here, I think.

48. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It is always good to hear from people that have actually experienced the situation and understand all the nuances that go along with the issue. A lot of people just go over the issue in their mind, without real
    world experience or repeat something they heard on youtube (always a place to get accurate information;)). Kinda like you can't put the spindle in the inside of the string for bow & drill nonsense.

Most people I know that cold weather camp/backpack use a pee bottle to avoid the issues listed above. As was said, it's a wee bit different to wee in those conditions.

49. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m moreso curious about the people who do long rock climbs, and have to ahem.. use poop-tubes. Waste must be carried out. Same people who tie to the rock face, cook, and sleep using portable ledges. I am in awe of the process. Pvc pipe with caps for containment of the matter are hauled like everything else. Make sure you hit the tube. Stay tied, while trying to complete the process. Don’t mess it up. I’m guessing they use some kind of drop-seat garment to prevent removal of the harness during. Guess yelling "rock!" Or "look out below!" Wasn’t well received. Look that up.
    Late thought, go in a bag, THEN pack into the tube maybe.

50. highlighter

highlighter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My minor concern with going out of the tent to take a leak at night is that I am stuck in car camping campgrounds and I worry about someone seeing me a calling a ranger on me!