Peenee in a Bottle

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by SpecialAgentDBCooper, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wierdly enough, wear a fleece poncho. Find a spot, take a knee, pee, stand back up. No showing anything, just watch yer aim. If its dark people won’t even see you do that. (They’re probably night blind from their phones anyway.)

2. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry these:

http://www.traveljohn.com/

Mostly for the kid that has to pee as soon as we hit the road...even though I asked him before leaving.

Sanitary, no worries about leaks. I keep some in my day bag too.

BBizy and SpecialAgentDBCooper like this.
  3. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember that exchange from childhood well. And how I disliked mom telling me, "Well go try anyway." I did, and she was always right. RIP mom.

SpecialAgentDBCooper likes this.
  4. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ahh, anybody who camps, knows that people piss/crap in the woods. Especially men pissing at night

Huey and SpecialAgentDBCooper like this.
  5. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I pee so often at night now that I don't use a bottle - just a 2 inch hose to the outside...Ha

6. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    3 times Past Master... but that's another matter. Turn off your headlamp... it helps.

7. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I piss in the canteen then wash it out the next day and use it. So anyone wanting to use my canteen around camp now has something to consider.

8. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm really impressed that we can sustain a discussion about peeing in a bottle for three pages!:4:

9. mountain joe

mountain joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I personally use a bottle in the night and have been using this method for years when camping. It is mighty handy especially at the cabin since I'm on a top bunk and the outhouse is a bit of a hike. lol. Thrift stores here in Alaska quite often have nalgene type bottles that work very well for this. The polycarbonate construction is extremely rugged and they seal well. I do not however store the bottle with me in my sleep arrangements. I do not feel like the heat does anything for a person. It just came out of your body so the temperature is the same as your body at the moment it comes out. From that point on, it continues to get colder thus being a heat sink. It can not add heat to your body since it is the same heat as your body.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  10. Izabarack

Izabarack Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a ex-laundry soap 2 litre bottle to take care of business when sleeping in my hammock. No boasting but I need the wide mouth and volume. I will get cramps at night if not adequately hydrated before turning in and accept the inevitable 02:00 wake up nudge from a full bladder. I feel no need to cuddle the bottle after use and just drop it on the ground until morning get up. After 19, kids, grandkids, and GGkids, a bit of pee does not worry me.

11. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since I left the ground for the trees several years ago, this is no longer an issue, but, when I was a ground dweller, a gatorade bottle was used. Dont have to open the door, no skeeters coming in.

12. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’ve even used the technique at home to avoid the walk to the bathroom. After all, chamber pots have been used in some form for centuries. Nothing really new.

13. SpecialAgentDBCooper

SpecialAgentDBCooper Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I agree with you for the most part. I would rather be cold than get my gear wet with piss. That being said.. I haven't done any deep winter camping yet.. so my tune may change.

14. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I'm one of few people who are eager for winter to come back so I can experience deep winter camping. We'll see what the pee situation will be like for me.

I often camp with my uncle, and this guy can hold his pee in till almost noon the next morning. How??? No freakin' idea. Me, as soon as the idea of needing to take a leak enters my mind, that's it, I can forget thinking about anything else, let alone sleep.

15. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Hahahahahahaha! Oh man.. I wasn't sure if you were kidding or not.

Doodoo is funny.

Knighthorse likes this.
  16. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    By trees, do you mean hammock? Pee right off the side?

17. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I guess it's all good practice for the wild.

xD xD xD

18. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Haha.. I think the cops of have called for less.

19. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I feel you man..

I don't get it. I'm quite a healthy eater and hydrate normally. I will drain myself, deliberately, multiple times before bed and STILL will need to get up MORE THAN ONCE!

So annoying.

Knighthorse likes this.
  20. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I like using that red light for peeing. I call it my pee light.

21. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I think all of us here enjoy the gutter. Literally and figuratively.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  22. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever had your pee freeze over night?

23. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    Haha! Yeah.. kids are gross. xD xD xD I have 3 and they are NOT allowed in my man cave, which is totally sanitized. I am a bit of a clean freak. The thought of getting urine into the fabric of my sleeping bag will keep me up all night.

It's funny you mention cramps, because I forget that I get them each and every time I go camping. Trying to wiggle myself into a sleep system that fits tight, I get ab cramps some times. Definitely dehydration. My lips would be chapped.

24. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, hammock. Open the zipper of the hammock, a little pelvic thrust action and walla. I will warn you right now, its common practice to stow gear directly under ones hammock. I have since learned to stow it towards the back side, opposite of the zipper end. Woke up one morning and someone pissed on my pants :17:

25. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was going to mention remembering where you left your shoes, but you got it.
    My bedroom is kept warmer than the rest of the house in winter. Using the bottle lets me stay in the warmer area until I have to leave. No walk, no cold to wake me up more than necessary.
    The chamber pot was pretty much the same use, but put off the walk to the outhouse when, uh "inconvenient".
    The smart folks keep the outhouse seat leaning up against the wall near the woodstove inside the house. Wrap seat in a blankie, walk quickly, place seat, and sit on a toasty bum warmer while getting the job done.

26. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome..

Man..

I need to get out more during the winter. I'm beginning to believe, compared to y'all, I haven't experienced much of the winters yet.

27. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Peeing is important to staying comfortable and warm in extreme cold. Your body has to expend A LOT of heat keeping a bladder full of urine at body temperature. When you urinate all that body heat gets to go elsewhere and really makes a difference in your body temperature. You're always better off getting up to pee than trying to hold it because youre cold and dont want to get up.

I've never peed in a bottle and cuddled it but im sure it would radiate that precious golden heat back into your bag quite nicely!

When I wake up at night and have to go I slide out of my sleeping bag real quick making sure to close it up when I leave to keep what little heat is left trapped in the bag, take a couple steps to the side of my lean to, pee, then get back in the bag as quickly as possible lol. Some people don't like to pee around their camp but I always pee around the perimeter. Not sure if it makes a difference but on an animalistic level I feel like it kind of marks the area as mine and I would like to think that other animals like bears, cougars, wolves, ect. take notice as well.

28. P40

P40 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive had good results with a 32oz spaghetti sause platic jar w/wide opening for in the deer stand mostly. Some paracord as a handle makes it easier to hold!

29. The Pan

The Pan Ironwood Lover Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You've got to be kidding? If you got to go then that's simply means you get up crawl out go outside do your business then crawl back in your freakin nest

30. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I get up and pee even if it's raining. The old valve ain't what it used to be and can't be trusted to fully shut off when needed ;) If I need a warm bottle for warmth I make it filled with coffee to drink when I get up so that I can replace the lost warmth. If I'm awake I can make new coffee to replace it for the next few hours but honestly I prefer not to use a warm bottle to keep warm. Since I often camp close to a waterfall and have kidney issues I tend to get up 2-3 times a night. If your a desperate pee'er you could always catheterize yourself before bedtime o_O and sleep with a bag on. Besides ...(here comes the lie) there's just no way to fiddle with a baseball bat under a sheet and to hit a big shot glass (32oz gatoraide bottle) at the same time ? Nope. It's great for getting me past "3rd base" with someone but not for wrestling in a hammock:55:

31. JonM

JonM Scout

Blog Posts:
  32. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

grey mouse likes this.
  33. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
  34. Big Furry Guy

Big Furry Guy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've actually given a lot of thought to this, especially after my camping experience in March of '17. It was in the low '20s, and the wind was blowing the whole night so the wind chill reading was probably in the low teens. I had to get up four times that night. I resolved there to do two things:

1) buy a tent instead of doing the cowboy set up with no shelter, and

2) buy a Nalgene bottle, tape 550 to the surface in such a way that I get a different feel from the water bottles, and use that to roll over in my bedding and pee in. It stays outside the bag. I'm not cuddling with it as my body will waste energy trying to keep myself and the bottle warm. For extra warmth, I'm boiling two Nalgenes worth of water, putting the now hot bottles into some expedition weight socks. One goes to the foot area of my bag, the other goes mid body about 20 minutes before I go to sleep.

35. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i introduced my 4yr old to peenee in a bottle this summer. we were on a road trip to WI and stuck in construction when he announced he had to pee and couldn't hold it. after a long debate between him and my wife i finally said take my empty water bottle and pee in it or pee your pants and sit in wet pants and car seat b/c there is no where to get off and i'm not stopping, the choice is yours. my wife and son both said no and after a few rounds of that they finally gave in and he went in the bottle.

btw it was a metal bottle and all i had to do was empty, wash and scrub with hot water and good to go again!

36. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Alternatively you could just send the full bottle to Bear Grylls for consumption.

37. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LOL! LMAO!!!

38. petey091

petey091 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whatever container you use make sure it is different than your water bottle. If it is the same wrap one in duct tape so you can tell the difference by touch.

39. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Age and diminishing concentration hormone not withstanding if you need to pee more than once in the middle of the nite you are showing signs of burning fat to stay warm. Broadly speaking each gram of body fat holds an equal amount of water, so eat something and burn food not stored energy

40. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I'm not getting you loud and clear, but I don't see the use of peeing in a bottle for cold weather camping.

I pee in the bottle so I don't have to get up at that moment. But by the time I wake up, the pee is frozen in the bottle. Now I have a bottle of urine ice I either need to melt over the fire so I can pour it out, or else pack out my frozen pee bottle (maybe 3 or 4 bottles of frozen pee depending on how many nights I'm out for).

Seems simpler to me to just get up and pee normally. You'll be cold for a minute, then back in the bag. Not the end of the world.

The only way I think you'd keep it from melting so you can just pour out liquid urine from the bottle when you wake up later at the normal time is to pee in the bottle and keep it in your sleeping bag with you overnight. Your body heat should keep the urine liquid in the bag. I don't think you want to be hugging pee bottles as you sleep in the bag:

A) because the cap may loosen as you toss or turn and leak pee all over you and your bag...not fun to wake up to or have to deal wirh cleaning/drying yourself and the bag in freezing temps!

B) the pee bottle can be a source of abrasion to your sleeping bag as you shift around overnight.

C) Is this a drinking water bottle you mean, or disposable plastic bottle? Cleaning out your metal or nalgene bottle in the morning so you can safely fill up with drinking water? That's more hassle than just getting up to pee. (As an aside, I did have a guy in my boot camp division that would pee in his canteen rather than get our of bed overnight...just dumped it down the drain in the morning and gave the canteen a cursory rinse...shudder...)

D) because it's gross. Ok, that point was a joke...kind of.

In any event, I don't see the advantage to peeing in a bottle overnight. You'll be paying for the temporary convenience later one way or another. Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and get up to pee.

Or even better, why no just hold it until morning? Haha!

41. winterlover

winterlover Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OK call me gross if you want, but when it's cold or rainy out, I pee in a bottle, and then just pour it out the back door. (That's why you want 2 doors in your tent, right?)

42. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like to pee in an empty Jim Beam bottle, put the lid back on, and leave it where high school kids will find it.

43. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I pee ALOT .Mostly due to my meds and i drink ALoT of water .

32oz Gatorade bottles are not big enough if I really have to go. I like that downy bottle idea

As gross and weird as this subjject is it's something we all gotta do!

44. SpecialAgentDBCooper

Blog Posts:
    I would have to agree with Moondog here. As a healthy 34 year old..

Generally, I HATE eating right before I sleep. While at home, I go to sleep on an empty stomach. It doesn't bother me.

I would do the same thing while camping. On top of that, whilst camping, I would stop hydrating after a certain time. Go to bed pretty parched.

Neither of those worked.

I was freezing and waking up to pee 4 times over the night.

Now, I drink as much water as I feel my body needs. Before I go to sleep, I'll eat a massive handful of nuts and dried fruits.

Best freaking sleep ever! Especially in my new hammock. Now, I get up to pee once, maybe twice, and I'm not freezing while trying to sleep. Usually I can hold it and will end up going just the once.

I've realized, from all the insights in this thread, that it's easier to take care of yourself physically, instead of trying to jig up some bottle to pee in. Personally, freezing or not, I'll get up to pee. Too much of a clean freak.

PS. It's been months since I started this thread guys! Thanks for keeping it alive with your tales of piss! :)

Leshy_apprentice and Paulyseggs like this.
  45. Big Furry Guy

Big Furry Guy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    To all those who say just get up and pee, I don't get a lot of sleep to begin with at home, so when I am snug as a bug in a rug in my sleeping bag, I like to keep it that way, especially when the wind is howling, the ice is crackling and the gales of November come early... Thanks Gordon Lightfoot!

Seriously, though, I really like the idea of retaining that warmth in my bag, and not exposing myself (pun intended) to the cold. But don't bring the half full pee bottle in with you, because

1) your body will be wasting heat energy trying to keep it warm, and
    2) unless the pee in question is at the boiling point (you've got other issues) it won't keep you warm.

Clear as mud?

46. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    As an afterthought, I wouldn't pee in a bottle for the reasons I (and others) stated above, but here is what I have done on occasion when it super cold or rainy when I wake up to nature's call: I'll half unzip my sleeping bag or unroll my wool blanket if that's what I'm sleeping in at that time. Just enough that I can unzip my tent body door and maybe the rainfly vestibule. So I'm on my knees sort of leaning forward as far as I can. I whip it out and pee as far as I can shoot outside the shelter, taking care not to splash or drip on the tent or rainfly or any gear I might have in the vestibule area, or under the tarp, or whatever shelter I've got.

That's my lazy way to pee without fully getting up. I don't get cold or wet because I'm still halfway in my bag/blanket and shelter...just long enough to take care of business and zip everything back up without ever getting fully out of my sleep system and shelter. Much better than dealing with frozen bottles of pee or pee bottles in my bag, if you ask me.

This would not work very well with my usgi MSS bivy set up, but works just fine with various tents, tarps, poncho shelters, etc.