Perfect knife

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Code of The West Survival, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion, the “perfect knife” is the one that you love. Not the one that someone tells you to love. People (including me) get way too absorbed in the technicalities and on-paper details of knives.

If you love a knife, it’s perfect. Regardless of whatever someone says about it. As far as using the “right tool for the job,” I think the attitude that surrounds that statement is a bit misguided. A more appropriate phrase in my opinion is “use good judgement”. If you believe a task can be done with your knife, then it’s the right tool for the job.

I’ve seen Old Hickory butcher knives baton wood, and I’ve seen Becker BK2’s slice meat.

ExAF1N1, wildschwein and schapm like this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think that if I saw some one processing wood with a pocket knife I might ask them if I can video the carnage.
    After all how often do you get to watch some one destroy a knife ? At least it ought to be documented.
    I am not going to let some one that is ignorant about knives mess up mine .No loaning.
    Some one too cheap to get the right equipment isn't going to handle your equipment any better, nor am I required to do their work for them . But I'll sell them fire wood.
    If you go into the woods with a paring knife for all your bush craft ,better off going home .
    Real woods real tools, real work.
    I the woods is the unexpected, it's why we go there. but we go to the woods prepared for the unexpected and if we didn't prepare, the unexpected wins .we are compost.
    I like to win , I go prepared for the worst.
    primary knife is a large bowie , a fighting knife . not that I hope to fight but sometimes fighting my way through brush is an issue, and in my time I have faced a few rather large predators and having that knife felt good , and it processes meat good as any other knife I own of lesser stature .
    Could I live with out it? yes of course, but I don't want to.
    I have smaller knives ,one that is soon becoming a favorite is one I made from spring steel. No doubt these knives will stand up to the rigors of wood processing .
    And though I carry a folder , knowing the weakness in the joint they are just not designed for woods processing .
    The combination of knives works like a set of tools .

3. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like the dude with the big knife needs to join this sight. There are plenty of threads on survival/ big knives. See the bolt knife thread. If your batonning a knive are you wrong for not bringing an axe. Sounds like a large lack of communication at the beginning.
    Hey dude hand me a beer and I’ll help you get that done. Can I borrow your knife? You can use mine.

4. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 LB-42 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You all got me going now. Gonna have to clean a trout with my Boker Apparo after ice-out. Can I do a fillet? Why not try?

There's a saying, "if you never ask, the answer is always no".

I think that gets to the heart of all this, really. Do you know what your knife can do - really- until you've tried to do it? Can you adapt your technique to what's at hand, and make it work, imperfect as that may be, without breaking the tool or injuring yourself in the process?

Dunno if I could do it, or even possible, but it would be absolutely sick to see someone do the next OKC with a single edge razor blade. Could a couple of folks here do a good showing with just that, if not completing?

I am absolutely certain the answer is yes. And all of us would be the wiser from their efforts and lessons learned. How gently do you have to tap a razor, and for how long, to allow space for a carved wedge to do a split wood fire? And can you still do shavings after?

You do not know what you are fully capable of with what you have, until you are called upon to do just that...

Which reminds me I need to be outside more. Period.

My 2 cents. Carry on, everyone.

5. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    OK, weighing back in on this thread. This time without being such a smart a$$.

Although many here have stated that they support the way that @Code of The West Survival approached handling his buddy's friend and his lack of preparedness, I'm gonna disagree. And here's why.

If you are in my group, whether hunting or camping or sight-seeing the Washington Monument, you are my responsibility. As such, if I notice that you are doing something which is clearly dangerous, e.g., not having sufficient water to drink (when none is available from surrounding areas), not having sufficiently warm clothing or sleeping gear, then I AM going to say something about it. For two reasons.

The first is because we all have to start somewhere and things that may be obvious to us now that we have more experience, were not as obvious to us when we lacked that experience. A kind word or gentle direction can be the difference between having a good time or a disaster. The second reason is more self-serving, but just as important. If you are in my group and I see that you are doing something which is dangerous or unknowingly negligent and I don't speak up and it results in injury, illness or some other badness, well then I'm responsible for that, aren't I? It's my fault because I could have prevented the badness, yet I chose not to. Further, in the event that my inaction resulted in allowing injury, well now I have to haul the injured person's butt out of that situation, which is WAY more work than if I had not assumed that the new guy knew what he was doing and asked a few questions before we left. But the end result is that I take responsibility for everyone in my group and, in turn, I expect everyone else to do the same as well.

When I first got my flintlock rifle, I was excited, but nervous as hell because I didn't have any experience with it and I didn't personally know anyone who could teach me properly either. But I read about what to do and got comfortable with the steps needed to shoot the thing. So I took it to the range and started shooting. And it was great! There was a few other older guys at other benches, but I had one to myself. But the range started to fill up and another young guy came over and took the open seat on the right-hand side of my shooting bench. (now anyone who shoots flintlock can see where this is going already). The new guy goes down, sets up his targets, then comes back and sets up his rifle and ammo and gets ready to shoot. I'm futzing around with my flintlock and getting ready to shoot now that the range is hot again. Well, new guy to the right of me leans in to his rifle just as I fire off a shot from the flintlock and he takes the full blast of hot gases coming out of the touch hole of my rifle. He fortunately wasn't injured, but he certainly could have been. Then the old guy at the next bench over leans over and says "I knew that was gonna happen". What I would have liked to have said was "Well, you dumb SOB, you should have said something!" , but I was too scared/embarrased/surprised/angry to form words at that moment and only managed to get out something like "notafingah!". The point being that I was new and ignorant of all that I was doing. The guy next to me was new and ignorant of what he was doing. The old guy at the next table over wasn't, knew better, yet still took no action.

There's a big difference between being a control freak and telling people that everything that they do is wrong and cordially stepping into a situation to discern whether people know what they are doing in order to prevent inexperienced folks from doing dumb things.

YMMV

6. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I started at the beginning and was thinking, why bring a new guy on a hunt? Then I got to page three and saw where the OP was not hunting but scouting for elk sign. Honestly scouting trips are the absolute best time for talking about game, drinking beer by the fire, and playing with knives.

I went to a "city slicker's" land in Pueblo for a week to do some 1000yd shooting and by the third day everyone wanted rabbit. They had hunted everyday with no luck, so I piped up and said I would go by myself. When I reached for my single six they all laughed and picked at me a bit. When I returned with three rabbits the joke was on them.

Something I learned in church when I was younger is that you don't push people away that don't seem to fit. You invite them in, and bring them closer.

Instead of swearing off Joe blow because he doesn't talk like yourself, or carry the same gear why not get closer to him. If he is smashing a tomato, grab a tomato and slice it. If he is dehydrated from too much beer, give him some water. I find humor of the utmost importance in life so I am more likely to rib the fella a little while helping him the best I can. If he doesn't get the joke, or figure out what he is doing wrong then I know for sure he really doesn't want to be there. Even then it doesn't sour my milk to have him around.

I grew up poor and country, but I have created friendships in every place I have traveled. They say you catch more flies with honey, but wine works just as well if you ask me.

Bob, GrayGhost, TWill and 10 others like this.