Perpetual Esee Junglas passaround #6 - with a SAK and a Silky

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by HannahT, Feb 4, 2019.

1. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Mountain Mel started this wonderful passaround for us in 2015, starting with a Junglas and adding a SAK and a Silky 180 later. Here are the threads from previous passarounds:

Pass around thread #1
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/perpetual-esee-junglas-pass-around.158107/

Pass around thread #2
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/perpetual-esee-junglas-pass-around-2.167596/

Pass around thread #3
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/perpetual-esee-junglas-passaround-3.177771/

Pass around thread #4
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...ass-around-4-slots-filled-in-progress.222190/

Pass around thread #5
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...assaround-5-now-with-alox-and-a-silky.227915/

As posted in the previous threads the rules are pretty simple:

"All I ask is that you post an outing report with pics and/or video using it. Really use it and put it to work. Keep it a week or two and pay for the shipping to the next person.

There is no limit to this pass around. The knife will belong to BCUSA so to speak and can be passed around indefinitely. The last person on the list will be asked to start the process again and so on.

If you want to participate then post a reply. I have 2 requirements.

1) You have to be a BCUSA paid supporter
    2) You have to have posted some kind of trip report or shared some skill or craft or perhaps something you did as part of the Bushclass

Here's a link to ESEE knives for a pic and specs:
    http://www.eseeknives.com/junglas.htm"

The last person on the list will start the next passaround. Let me know if you have any questions.

Here are our participants:

1 Logan Woods

2 Bushcraft and Brews

3 Portage Monster

4 JasonJ

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    ahhh yeeahh I am so down! Thanks for the heads up on the other thread!

MrFixIt likes this.
  3. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome! I have you on the list and I'll be sending the Junglas your way either this week or early next week, once I've had a chance to do a little sharpening :D I'll just need you to PM me your address please :)

MrFixIt likes this.
  4. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    PM inbound

MrFixIt likes this.
  5. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So good to see this continues. :) I wonder how many besides myself have bought a junglas after using this one?

I actually had mine out for a bit today. :)

MrFixIt, Logan Woods and HannahT like this.
  6. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    We have plenty of spots open in the passaround! Anybody else want to try out this chopper?

7. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There has to be some folks that meet the criteria and want to try out these tools.

8. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    @Logan Woods is ready to pass the Junglas along! Who wants to be next?

9. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll take next. If it works out, I'll take it in the VA meetup in March. Thanks!

10. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    I'll put you on the list! PM your address to @Logan Woods and he'll send it your way!

11. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’d love to give a Jungas a try. I’ve never used a Esee knife but if I were to get one it would be one of the bigger blades like this.

MrFixIt and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  12. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! I'll put you on the list!

MrFixIt and Portage_Monster like this.
  13. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Glad to see this is still going. I'd love to join in on the fun, but I've already had my chance in the third go around.

It's cool to think how many members here have had their hands on this great knife, and it goes to show how durable they are!

MrFixIt and HannahT like this.
  14. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The whole kit is really great. I ended up trying and buying a Junglas before the pass around reached me but its a really great knife when you just need to chop things. The saw was also excellent. If you want to check out some affordable gear get in on it!

Portage_Monster, MrFixIt and HannahT like this.
  15. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    Hey @HannahT I haven't gotten the knife yet, but once I've had my fun with the blade, where should I send it?

MrFixIt, Sosteve and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  16. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Nobody has spoken for that fourth spot yet, but hopefully by the time you've had some time with the Junglas, somebody will want to try it :)

MrFixIt, Sosteve and Portage_Monster like this.
  17. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had the opportunity to take the Junglas and all of the other goodies for a spin this weekend! We had a BCUSA Virginia meet up in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forest. The Junglas was a monster of a chopper but still nimble enough for a decent feather stick. This was my first time using a Silky saw. As advertised, it made short work of wrist sized logs. The SAK saw plenty of action as well, from using the awl with a ferro rod to cutting spam for dinner! Thanks again for the opportunity. I will be sending this out to @Portage_Monster in the next day or so. 20190315_162734.jpg 20190315_162242.jpg

MJGEGB, MrFixIt, Sosteve and 2 others like this.
  18. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you're having fun :) Thanks for sharing!

19. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, I'm the guy in the blue shirt above in @Bushcraft and Brews picture. While I'm not technically eligible for the passaround I was able to accidentally get my hands on the knife for a couple of days by organizing another VA meet. As luck would have it the knife and kit made it's way into camp a short while after I did. I remember the original thread from 2015 and have wanted to check a Junglas out for a while so I was happy for the opportunity.

Here's a couple of pics I snapped of it.

[​IMG]

Had to get one with my new Convex Stainless # 1 just for kicks.

[​IMG]

I used it to chop through the tree you see pictured. This was a relatively green tree that had obviously come down in a recent storm. Unfortunately I'd already limbed it with my axe to prevent from tripping on the limbs. I had issues with the lanyard whipping around and ended up putting the small opening at the far end around my pointer finger to keep it from going all over the place while using the knife. The first several chops where a complete disaster. I'm used to bucking with an axe and approached the wood at the same angle I'd use while using an axe. The hits didn't go deep at all, and I had glancing issues multiple times. I changed up the tactic and went with a more obtuse angle closer to perpendicular to the tree. It quickly began to penetrate and no longer glanced. I made my way through the tree and was able to complete the task. For this work I found it to be far less effective than an axe of equal weight, but the handle was comfortable and it got the job done.

I then sunk the blade into the log as pictured began drawing feathers to start the fire for the first night. This was more effective than trying to do so the conventional way, but the feathers weren't my best. I feel like I had an easier time with my own ESEE Izula II. I wish I'd checked the edge on it while I had the chance.

I grabbed it for other random tasks throughout the weekend. Chopping smaller diameter sticks at a 45°, rough carving work like a hatchet and so on. I think it's what it was designed to be, a heavy duty machete. It won't replace an axe, and it won't function as well as a small knife in a lot of rolls, but I bet it would work well at knocking out free standing limbs around .5"-1.5". I wish I'd left some of the limbs on the tree.

I also tried out the saw being careful not to bind it. I noticed how easily it moved through the cut. Further inspection showed one major difference between the silky and my similar Corona saw. The Silky has the teeth set. That is to say they are bent to point away from the center of the blade just slightly switching directions with each tooth to either side. The Corona on the other hand has the blade tappered so that the spine is thinner. The Silky seems to have less friction in the cut as a result. Pretty cool, but I still used my Camp Axe for the vast majority of the fire wood processing which was far faster. A larger saw might have evened the odds however.

goon, JasonJ, Sosteve and 6 others like this.
  20. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    @MJGEGB I have the Corona its a smooth fast saw that would be hard to beat.

21. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Scout

Blog Posts:
    @MJGEGB that is some pretty good input. When I put that lanyard on the Junglas I did it in a non permanent fashion because I know not every one likes lanyards, the way I use it I slip my thumb threw the smaller loop then kind of wrap it around the back of my hand locking it in place. I have posted pictures of this method somewhere haha glad you had the opportunity to give the knife a go

Sosteve, MrFixIt, HannahT and 2 others like this.
  22. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Bump! @Portage_Monster how are you liking that Junglas?

Who wants to try it out next??

23. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    It showed up at the end of last week and my first impression was “wow! That’s big!” I got a change to hit the woods for a little bit yesterday and it sure is a fun tool. A few minutes with a stone and the edge glistens and it’s ready to go. I’m not sure if I’d trade my hatchet for it, but it made quick work of a couple of saplings and has significantly more heft to it than a machete.
    6AFB13FF-DDE4-48F4-913D-5A0B70AD06F2.jpeg
    645B8AF7-0EC9-4AA8-A546-456B975EC7C9.jpeg
    I’m hoping to get out next weekend and use it to actually process some firewood. Unfortunately Minnesota is a mix of snow and mud right now so it’s a little tough to get out.

24. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    They make a great shovel too! :)

Sosteve, Portage_Monster and MrFixIt like this.
  25. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @HannahT ... Can I join in? I really want to compare this to my Skrama!

Sosteve and MrFixIt like this.
  26. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Sure thing! I'll add you to the list!

27. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    WootWoot! Just in time for cottage season and heading "up north" too! Plus, I have about a 1/4 cord of wood that came down out of my maple tree this winter... Skrama vs Junglas to delimb and chop that crap up for burning.

Sosteve, MrFixIt and Portage_Monster like this.
  28. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    You'll blast through all that and won't be able to stop - there won't be a tree standing for a square mile :D

29. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    We need one person for this round!

MrFixIt and Sosteve like this.
  30. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a big knife. Prov 27:17

MrFixIt, Sosteve and HannahT like this.
  31. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Bump!

MrFixIt likes this.
  32. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    @JasonJ do you have any action pics of the Junglas? Maybe somebody will jump into that last spot and finish this round up :)

Just a reminder, whoever takes the past spot in this round is in charge of the next round.

MrFixIt and JasonJ like this.
  33. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    It's due to arrive today! PM had some work related delays and it only just got sent out before the weekend. I'm going to put it through some work this week and weekend, perhaps keep it til the Holiday weekend coming up and then can ship it either to the next tryer-outer, or back home.

It's going up against the Skrama for me.. so I expect GREAT things from the Junglas!

MrFixIt likes this.
  34. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Ah, ok! Let us know how you like it!

JasonJ and MrFixIt like this.
  35. Portage_Monster

Blog Posts:
    I know I had the tools for a little long, but I wanted to take them on a proper Minnesota canoe trip and get some real use out of them rather than just 20 minutes of backyard fun. I took these tools on a hike in the snow, scouting for deer stands and then on an overnighter in Minnesota's Boundary Waters.

IMG_8222.JPG

My initial thoughts:

Jungas - Fun. Lots of fun. The blade was robust and more manageable than a machete, while being surprisingly agile. It could chop through saplings in a hurry, make beautiful feather sticks and it really shined at batoning through split wood to make kindling. I really liked how it rode on the side of my pack and quite frankly, I felt like a bad a** walking around with the thing. The reality is though, that I'm really comfortable with the fixed blade, axe, saw combo and I didn't see a place where the Jungas would replace one or two of those tools in my usual rotation. It was a little too big and cumbersome to replace my fixed blade belt knife, and not quite as robust as my GB SFA. I could see this being a great tool for around a cabin or an addition to a kit of someone who likes to go tool heavy. All in all, it was a fun tool that might make it's way into my collection at some point, but likely won't replace any of my go-to's.

IMG_8013.JPG

IMG_7955.JPG

Silky Saw - This thing wowed me. Growing up my dad kept a small hand saw in his truck and while it was handy, it likely was never sharpened and left my mind with a bad representation of hand saws. As a result I've always opted for a larger bow saw when I went into the woods weather it be a fixed bow saw or my collapsible Dustrude folding buck. However, this little saw was aggressive, comfortable and light. I was really impressed with how quickly it could fly through firewood. It's not going to replace a bow saw for bigger trips, but its very likely that one of these will find it's way into my pack. As an added bonus, I finally found a use for the thigh pocket on my Fjallraven Vidda Pros.

IMG_7982.JPG

I didn't get any use out of the survival kit - thankfully - but it was well put together, and I was really impressed with the quality of that SAK. I'd never owned a Vic SAK and I'd just assumed that they were all created equal. This is obviously a good quality knife and while it wouldn't replace my Leatherman, they are definitely on my radar.

This was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I got to try out some gear that was nothing like what I currently carry. Thanks!

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 10:39 AM
  36. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Portage_Monster likes this.
  37. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts exactly on the Silky @Portage_Monster :) It's amazing! Thanks for the write-up!

Portage_Monster and MrFixIt like this.
  38. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Ooh it's delivered and waiting for me at home! Too bad I have to feed the boys and then get them to karate class first! So excited to try these out!

MrFixIt, HannahT and Portage_Monster like this.
  39. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Oh boy. First impressions, now that’s a big knife.

Solid, well-built. Really love the micarta scales. If it were mine, I would probably remove the black coating. I know it helps with protecting the blade, but aesthetically I don’t like it.

In between feeding the kids, I went out back and did a few initial chops. It bites in deep and cut cleanly. I may touch up the edge little bit so it is a fair comparison to my Skrama in terms of sharpness. Not quite as nimble in the hand as Skrama but it sure does cut.

The silky saw on the other hand, oh wow this cuts very very well. That nice thin blade stock really makes a difference compared to my corona saw. Not that it cuts any faster than my corona ( My my my Corona!) But it feels like it takes less effort to do so. Starting cut is much easier, not sure if the silky cuts on both the pull and push stroke, it feels like it does, but that would make the difference.

I haven’t assessed the survival kit yet, so that’ll be later, probably tomorrow afternoon. But I will speak to the Victorinox.

Having never held or used a farmer model, I am thoroughly impressed. Most of you know that my every day carry multitool is a soldier model that I would break someone’s fingers over if they try to take from me.

Having said that, even though I have little every day use of a saw, I think I may need to pick up a farmer just simply because of the feel of the alox scales in my hand.

As a real test of this tool, I immediately took the soldier out of my pocket and put the farmer in its place. The farmer will replace it for the next two weeks. So far with it, I am super impressed.

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 6:10 PM
  40. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    It just occurred to me that if I like the size and feel of the farmer but have little to no edc need for a saw, the Pioneer X with the scissors may be ideal.

Excited to to work the Junglas on an Arkansas stone too.. It's sharp most of the blade but not evenly throughout. I'll fix that. Should be nice and therapeutic too.

HannahT, MrFixIt and Portage_Monster like this.
  41. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    This weekend is planting weekend for me. Also happening is these stupid bushes that grandpa planted 70 years ago are going away!

EC6434F2-B687-4FC9-A49F-259640AC1118.jpeg

The two main tools? Chainsaw and the Junglas!

The skrama will come out too, for comparisons sake. But I'm expecting big things from the Junglas!

42. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    Ah, a worthy task for the Junglas! I grew up trimming bushes just like those :D

MrFixIt and JasonJ like this.
  43. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Get yer butt up here and help then! They wee half this size 5 years ago, but every time I trimmed them back, they were just sticks!

Too big... They make my small house look smaller. Gonna Junglas it up!

I'll even let wyatt, my 7 yr old give it a try and see what he thinks.

MrFixIt likes this.
  44. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    @JasonJ those shrubs look like box elders.
    Some of the wood at the bad should be large enough for knife handles and ferro rods.
    Once seasoned, it will have a beautiful grain.

JasonJ and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  45. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what they are other than unwanted. Lol. I'll cut off some of the larger, straight pieces and post pictures here.

As for the Junglas and tools..m the silky saw was the shining star here. Junglas was about worthless on these.

557CC5B5-E7C1-41C2-BAC2-620401DF1B5F.jpeg

Mr. Tettnanger and MrFixIt like this.
  46. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    The easy part is over. Now you gotta dig up those roots...

JasonJ and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  47. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Wow. What a difference that makes. :)

MrFixIt likes this.
  48. HannahT

Blog Posts:
    It looks much better :)

JasonJ, gohammergo and MrFixIt like this.
  49. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Jeep and a chain... Still had to cut lower roots from the root ball, put tension on it, cut some more... Broke a few tools, but half done now.

753E294C-EC83-46FB-9394-D28999CB5591.jpeg CA659493-2C9A-442A-802E-27B336C0B239.jpeg 773060DB-0DCD-414C-AFB6-FA3756AFA157.jpeg

I'm beat. Need a hot shower and a bottle of motrin.

This silky f180 blade is gonna be about good for green wood only when I'm done here. Sorry y'all.

50. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I have done stuff like that before. I know from experience that you did an amazing amount of work there. I'm impressed.

HannahT and MrFixIt like this.