Piano wire for snare

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by tomme boy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used or tried piano wire for making a snare? I have rolls of it left over from when I used to install windshields in cars. We used it to cut out the glass and save the glass. The wire acted as a saw and cut through the sealant that was used.

Anyway like I said I have about 500' of this wire left over. I have never tried to use a snare before and would like to know if it will work. It is basicly 2 wires twisted together if you don't know what it is. The type I have anyway.

2. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    One way to find out...

80mtn, 2jka, Makarov and 1 other person like this.
  3. woodstalker

woodstalker Tracker Minor age 17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What diameter? The only other thing I can tell you is try it or send one of us some and we will.

80mtn likes this.
  4. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Post a photo. what gauge or size is it? Depends on how stiff it is, how strong it is and what you are trying to snare. A good snare is a balance between strength, suppleness/rigidity and speed, all with a target animal in mind. You want it ridged enough to hold a good loop but supple enough to still close easily. You want it strong enough to prevent easy escape from twisting, abrasion or chewing. If you can fatigue the wire easily to the breaking point by bending it back and forth at the same point a few times, it is too weak. For small animals it may be ok if it meets the above requirements. I would imagine piano wire to be strong stuff but it may not hold a loop well or fire/close fast. The speed of your snare will depend on what kind of snare lock you use and how you build the snare. I could tell you more if I had a piece in my hand. Check your state regs as anything other than multi strand cable may not be legal. There is really no way to know without doing it and testing it but that info is a start. Free is good but it is not worth using if it is not the right stuff.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd imagine most any sized wire would work well as a snare some critter. That's what snare-folk do,,, match to snare to the to be snared,,,

80mtn likes this.
  6. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll get some diameters in a little bit. It is fairly stiff.

2jka and Haggis like this.
  7. Mukluk

Mukluk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can't see why not...it just might be harder to make the little loop but maybe if you use those little metal clamps like those used in picture wires you should be good to go. They're called aluminum sleeves but we called them chokers, they come in common wire sizes.

2jka and 80mtn like this.
  8. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I use 80# test spiderbraid in green for a lot of things. I'm usually snaring ground squirrels or packrats. Holds a loop all by itself.

2jka likes this.
  9. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is the wire. It is a 3 strand. I always thought it was 2. It has a diameter of 0.0316"

[​IMG]

2jka likes this.
  10. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    It looks quite stiff but it is hard to tell from a photo. Make up a snare and set an appropriate loop size for what you are wanting to use it for then test with your hand to see if it closes easily. Work with the memory of the cable (the natural lay of the cable from being on the spool) not against it when forming your loop. If the wire is as stiff as it looks, a small loop for small animals is not going to give you the speed in closing that you want. As a snare loop is closing, it encounters more resistance to close as the loop gets smaller. In other words if you made a big loop out of that wire, it may close fine for the first half of its travel but become too stiff and slow down too much as the loop size decreases. It may require too hard of a tug to close the loop and you don't want that. Good snare material will be stiff enough to hold the ideal loop size without closing or sagging on its own weight but be supple enough to close very easily once the animal enters the snare. The speed at which the loop goes from its fully open set position to the point where it tightens around the target animal is critical, especially with small, sleek animals as the target. Too slow and stiff and the animal can slide through without the snare closing around it.

Multi strand cable generally has the right characteristics to make a decent snare but the small size of the individual strands gives the needed flexibility. It feels like "wire rope" more than like wire. Those three individual strands making up that wire look to be pretty stiff. Again hard for me to say for sure without holding it but I am guessing it might make a decent large animal snare but will be unsuitable for small stuff. If small stuff is your target, that material is overkill on the strength side and that will effect the way it works as a snare.

You really have two major factors to deal with when making snares. One is simply the strength and being able to hold the animal and minimize escape once it is snared. You match the strength against your largest target catch, keeping in mind its power and how it often reacts when caught such as chewing/fighting/rolling etc... Bigger material is not better if smaller stuff holds the catch fine. The second is the mechanics of how the snare operates when an animal enters the loop. Both are important to make catches. In addition to this, it is a general rule of thumb that the smaller the animal is, the more difficult it is to snare and the mechanics of the snare become more critical. Imagine a large heavy beast can lumber through a big loop and easily close a stiff snare around itself. A small, slender and dainty animal that is used to weaving in and out of holes and such is a different target entirely.

This is another topic but this difference in small vs. large targets is one of the reasons I don't understand the almost exclusive interest in squirrels and rabbits from the bushcraft/survival community when it comes to snaring. The room for error is more in your favor with bigger targets and beginners need room for error. Lets face it, most bushcraft/survival people will be throwing these into an emergency bag and are not running extensive snare lines every year. If they are ever in a situation where they need to feed themselves with snares, they are going to be making mistakes for sure and targeting only the little stuff is asking for even more problems. Beaver, raccoon, opossums and other medium sized animal as well as much bigger animals are far easier to catch consistently with snares in my opinion. It depends on where you live I guess and what animals are in your area in good numbers.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    aaronu and Bitterroot Native like this.
  11. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    What are you planning on targeting with the snares? Any wire that holds its shape will do the job provided that it's slick enough to slide on itself, and it's strong enough to hold the animal you plan on targeting.

If it's a larger animal I suggest making some swivels to put on your snares. When an animal is caught it will spin and spin and spin sometimes breaking the wire completely.
    I snare fox on a regular basis during trapping season, its surprising the amount of damage an animal can do to some strong wire!

2jka likes this.
  12. tomme boy

tomme boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was going to try for rabbits. But I don't think it is going to work. It is really springy or stiff as was mentioned. Oh well I was trying to find a use for what I had. I am cheap and never throw anything away. It drives my old lady nuts!

2jka likes this.
  13. Shadowalker

Shadowalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I dont really know much about piano wire. But if it is a little stiff you may look into "loading" it. I use 1x19 cable on my coyote snares and load them to close fast.

2jka likes this.
  14. steel a way

steel a way Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a roll .023" single strand. I use it to make fishing spinners at a fraction of retail. It is on the thin side but does fine. Your diameter should work well for this if it is too stiff for snares.

2jka likes this.