Pictures start to finish of hand carved Kuksa (wooden cup)

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by GGTBod, Mar 25, 2018.

1. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Aye aye all ye good folks of BCUSA i hope ye all be fighting the winter blues in style, here we just hit the spring equinox and i am carving again, so bloody happy to be back on the blades, anyhoo enough waffle for your scrutiny carved completely with hand tools over about 40 hours (probably more)

Moby Kuksa from a slab of 40 year old African Oroku wood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more soon in next post due to pic limits per post

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    chekmate, Deji, weltondl and 25 others like this.
  2. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tools used were 2 Stanley hand saws, 3 vintage Marples short handle gouges, 1 Japanese Shinto push rasp, 1 Mora 120, a bundle of small diamond hand files, 1 tungsten scribe, i went for a purposeful tooled finish all over and my artistic impression of a whale, finished in raw linseed oil

chekmate, Deji, LoaferX and 36 others like this.
  3. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You sir are on a creative roll!

DomC, weltondl, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  4. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Thanks mate it's my first wood carving in about 6 months and i mostly really enjoyed it :D mostly

DomC, weltondl, MrFixIt and 6 others like this.
  5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had to put down my coffee cup. You can’t drink coffee with your mouth hanging open! OMG, that is epic! A museum piece. WOW! OK, breathe... :D

Where does one find a 40 year old slab of african wood? Did you use a mallet at all or just push gouges?

I have to go back and study the pics again. KUDOS, beautiful work you have done!

DavidJAFO, DomC, weltondl and 7 others like this.
  6. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's a whale of a noggin! ;)

Nicely done brother!

weltondl, Kreger, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  7. Muleman77

Muleman77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's great. I gotta say, the whale kinda threw a twist in the plot I never saw coming!

8. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Thanks mate highest praise there, i just wanted to make my kuksa something different that i'd use and keep for life, i had to use a mallet with the gouges to go across the grain on the underside only to do the diagonal cross grain gouge grooves on the whales belly, the wood comes from a little UK supplier of exotic hardwoods called Ockenden Timber i bought it about 5 years ago in a big 10KG mixed sample box, it had all sorts in it from Zebrano and Cherry Heartwood pen blanks to this great big slab of oroku, each piece had a traceable sticker and stamp on the wood telling you when and where it came from, if interested there are a few little videos of me working on it at several stages on my Instagram

Beach Hiker, DomC, weltondl and 7 others like this.
  9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Excellent! I am not an instagram user, but was able to see the pics and videos. Thanks!

The wood doesn’t appear to be very hard, is that correct?

Beach Hiker, DomC, weltondl and 6 others like this.
  10. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Exact opposite mate it's one of the hardest woods i have ever tried to carve, it is normally used for professional kitchen work benches for how well it's fibres resist cutting across the grain, it just looks like butter in those videos as i keep my gouges like lasers and i'd come from the strop to the video, i have also used the same gouges for over 5 years now by hand using Swedish choking up techniques i learnt from Wille Sundqvist book Swedish Carving Techniques, one of the biggest tools that really help me find my inner carver

11. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Sharp tools make hard wood look soft. Thanks for the reply. Very interesting.

Beach Hiker, DomC, weltondl and 5 others like this.
  12. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    By the time i had dug out the bowl i had already put in over 10 hours and the worms started to dig in my brain that if i am putting in this much time i want to be sure at the end to have something original, figured if i was just gonna make one looking like most the kuksa we see i could have saved myself 50 hours and just bought one :D

13. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very nice work !!! Ya done well young fellar. Pleasing to the eye also. joe

14. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Very nice work!:dblthumb: to my eye the side view of the face. Has a real Polynesian style to it. Very cool!

15. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Love it! Great workmanship and I love how the design evolved. I seem to do that with spoons but I'm definitely not that creative.

16. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Nice one i like Polynesian tribal stuff especially the facial tatoos, i was going for Pictish tribal and reusing my design from an earlier stone carving of my double spiral Pictish stone to encompass the whale eye and the side flukes

[​IMG]

17. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    At one time I would have been surprised. To find such similar art work among far flung groups. But having started wood carving. Some shapes are either easier or just look cooler. First etching of any kind I did. Was a spiral cut with a chainsaw file. Only chose it because it was easy. That was on a hammer handle. Start your line and just keep going.
    Cheers Jim

18. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    The spiral and double spiral are global universal stages in the development of art they were even shown by the art of Neanderthals, first we made a line, that was easy so we made parallel lines and they were easy too, so we tried a curve and kept it going like you said, then we combine the line and circles and we get the cup and ring marks again globally world wide, here are some pics i took of 8000 year old pre Pictish stone carvings just up the road from my house, i think it is safe to say i am becoming a little bit obsessed by all this part of my heritage and it might be influencing my creations here and there, i have no desires to ever directly copy anything but i am definitely inspired and enthused by it all

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beach Hiker, DomC, stillscout and 8 others like this.
  19. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine

Blog Posts:
    That looks great!

20. winter1857

winter1857 Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm wondering if those stone carving did double duty. No art in This case just a hole in stone. But similar was found in western China. Used some 8-10k years ago for salt making. Story goes that invading forces took over the area and ramped up salt production. It became the cash to fund armies. It grew from there until emperor Chin. Took mass production to the next level and produced bronze weapons. By the ton. Thats the fella credited with unifying China!

22. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    @Zunga please don't get me pontificating on potential uses outside art :4: i have blisters on my fingers and hands from carving i don't need to start typing about that :4: I ferkin love pontificating on that stuff, it must have been very important, you don't spend months carving the same shapes all over UK in the bedrock of the Earth just for fun, do you? :4: See don't get me started :4: The men, women and children doing the carving work could not have done other tribal duties, who cooked and hunted and done their work load in the tribe whilst they spent months during the warm weather making sure the rocks are pretty? See :4: if they were the early farmer settlers as is pontificated by the experts who looked after their animals and sowed their land and planeted their seeds n harvested their crops n made them clothing whilst they carved the rocks using flint tools!! Right right sore fingers :4: did i mention i love this stuff :4: lots of smiles

23. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    ROFL! My mother has a cable tv package that's loaded with history channels. Just as well you don't have to same. You wouldn't ever get off the couch. She hides the remote when I come over. Or she tends to get ignored! I know that makes me a bad son! ROFL all over again!

24. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  25. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very nice, I really like the originality of your kuksa.

Beach Hiker, DomC, weltondl and 4 others like this.
  26. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Thanks mate freak or unique is the story of my life :4:

27. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    thanks @mainewoods it come out pretty nicely i reckon

28. Kreger

Kreger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Firstly, just awesome! Second, at what point did the kuksa decide to become a whale. :) That is really an awesome and very unique kuksa

29. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sorry still pontificating! Was looking at the holes with the ring depression in the pics. You could lay firewood in the ring. Brine in the hole to cook off water. It looks to be a higher vantage point. Australian aboriginal people's. Would carve maps in high place on common routes from A to B. Circles were usual water sources. Not nearly as big an issue in the UK. But larger lakes where one could find food. Might have been recorded for travelers.
    Cheers Jim

30. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    I spent over 10 hrs digging out the bowl and as i was doing that i had the worm of a thought digging deep that i was not putting all this time in for a kuksa that looks like the traditional if you will (little round bowl barely holding 150 ml, finger holes or curved handle kinda thing). At the point just before i cut the kuksa from the block i decided to take a day off and just look at this thing i had made so far and explore the thoughts of decoration and final shaping, i was making a cup of tea and it was on the shelf nearby and i could just see a Sperm Whale in it grinning at me with it's tale in full splash down, maybe even breaching the surface with the power of the thrust, i laughed it off but over the next few hours every time i looked i seen it clearer and clearer to the point where i was rolling it around in my hands and i couldn't see it being anything else

31. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    This might hurt your brain Jim but in a good way :D

I never shared the pictures of the carved maps in the same area before, each pot hole represents a hole on the hill each about 8ft x 8ft circles and about 6ft deep dug into the bedrock that we are standing on, each hole has post holes around the edges where they stuck poles in to string a skin type shelter over each hole, this is not by any means at the highest point in the area but it is in a high point with great 360 visibility, the double lines you see on left in first 2 pics are the hill and ditch defences controlling access to the site (3000 BCE), the third pic is a much earlier version of the map (5000 BCE) when it only had a single ditch and mound defence, when the site grew over thousands of years usage (think of that thousands of years usage!!!HFS we can't even go back a thousand years without it all turning into folklore and fantasy nearly globally) :4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That's really cool. Its a ancient version of city planning records. Theres sites in and around lake bikal. I think it was in eastern Europe. They were able to determine a pattern of use and decline over thousands of years. A group would move in for decades or centuries and eventually use up the resources. Or in some cases natural disaster. It would be ignored for centuries more until it came back. Then rediscovered all over again. It's been a while since I saw the documentary. But they found 3 different cultures. The same one hundreds of years apart more than once. Just imagine when the whole continent was open to be roamed!

33. Michael OD

Michael OD Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks so good. Wish I could carve like that :dblthumb:

34. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Been watching on IG. Nice noggin

DomC, CivilizationDropout and GGTBod like this.
  35. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Start carving Michael it really is just a skill than anyone can learn, the more you do it the better you get no matter what level you start at, really not filling you with BS man, i carved my first ever spoon in 2013

My first spoon, no BS it was the very best i could do with about 4 hours of hard work and blisters to both hands and thumbs, i will keep this 'spoon' until the day i die because it is a reminder that if i put the time in i can teach myself anything, put it this way you certainly won't get better at carving by not having a go :D the time is passing anyway whether you carve or not, might as well carve :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers Evan when did you change your name here?

36. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Oh, about a month ago. There is a post about it in the introductions thread.

37. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    I must have totally missed it, i've been a bit internet scarce lately only popping on very briefly here and there trying not to get too sucked in and distracted from my semi productivity

DomC and CivilizationDropout like this.
  38. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the above statements. Regarding the carving learning curve. My first epiphany on the subject. Your not learning carving. Your learning patients. The very first practical lesson I learned, was watch your finger.
    Cheers Jim

39. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Just noticed i have an almost equal amount of the Oroku wood left ;) :33: that uncut block has a lovely looking up sweep in the grain flow that the bowl of the kuksa would dissect through

IMG_20180325_222358_659.JPG IMG_20180325_222325_187.JPG

Beach Hiker, Madwell, LoaferX and 3 others like this.
  40. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Geez! Talk about going big or going home...pretty amazing even if it weren't your "very first".

41. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    It is my very first, my previous attempt ended in kindling before I even got the bowl hollowed out :D i never even got to that point where you hope you have dug it out enough and test how much liquid it holds to find out hardly any at all :D you should see my pile of failed jade peyote amulets :( when i finally carve one without breaking it that will be my first jade amulet :D i just made piles of bits of jade all the other times

Madwell, DomC, Quinlan and 1 other person like this.
  42. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you for sharing this @GGTBod. It is a double win for me, the detailed approach you adopt, photos and list of tools, it sort of reads like a research paper. :dblthumb:

:33:
    Jade micarta?
    :D

Regards,

Christos

DomC, GGTBod and CivilizationDropout like this.
  43. weltondl

weltondl Sergeant of Marines

Blog Posts:
    Awesome job on your whale Kuksa! Love it!

44. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    I have zero understanding of Micarta beyond the word itself and it gets used for knife scales, please fill some gaps here :D

Thanks mate same here i really love it, i just applied a second coat of raw linseed oil and the colours it enhanced made me put the time in and make a little 30 second video in natural lighting

Moby Kuksa

DomC, Quinlan and weltondl like this.
  45. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Mine is 0.0001, but i'll try. :D
    Without having Googled it much, my understanding behind the micarta principle is that you layer up material and immerse it in epoxy resin. The cured hardened result is the micarta and it can be used for knife scales, knife liners, spacers and I am sure I have just scratched the surface here.:D

Regards,

Christos

DomC and GGTBod like this.
  46. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    cheers @Quinlan little do i know i have been making variations of micarta for years, i often do it with microparticles of brass or shavings of wood from the wood i am filling a gap in :D

Quinlan likes this.
  47. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You sir are and artist, i hope you can't stop at just one. Have you ever thought of carving Totem Poles.

GGTBod likes this.
  48. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Mad you mention it, first time i seen an animal in branch n though 'Hey i could probably carve n bring that out' (but never) I was about 12, between then and me starting carving aged 37 i regularly thought that i could and would like to carve a totum pole, one day when i eventually move out of sky scraper living and get a garden i'll give it a go, i also want to carve a large standing stone, think like Obelix and his Menhirs but the entire thing intricately carved on every inch :D

49. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here is a Totem Pole for of Order of the Arrow Lodge ( Order of the Arrow National Boy Scouts of America National Honor Society ) Ipod 1301.JPG

The flap on the Tee Pee is on the top of the Totem, A bear with a fish

Ipod 1298.JPG

This were we hold our induction ceremony at our local Boy Scout Summer camp

Ipod 1296.JPG

GGTBod likes this.
  50. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What an amazing piece. Congratulations!
    So.... you're back to wood again. Last time I asked you about the change to stone carving. ... so now.... how does it feel to be doing wood again?

GGTBod likes this.