Pisgah National Forest Trip 2018

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Zac Swank, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Zac Swank

Zac Swank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For my spring break trip I went to Pisgah National Forest with Adventure WV. It was an awesome group. I went as a participant for the trip and not as a trip leader. It was pretty nice being able to relax little bit and not have to take the lead on to many things. We had amazing trip leaders and I actually work for the one as he is my boss for the climbing aspect of Adventure WV programs. Veterans get to go on most trips for free due to grants. I took this to my advantage to get out and away from Morgantown. The forest service has just gotten done doing some controlled burns, so the whole place smelled like camp fire. There was a light rain as we got there and it lightly rained the first two days of the trip. It wasn't anything horrible, just a little annoying. We did some simple land nav and just usual backpacking things. Myself and the two trip leaders where the only two on the trip who had ever backpacked before, so we were in for a fun trip and a lot of educational opportunities for these young college students. Right off the bat we were talking about our poop cycles and farting in front of each other. So, I knew it was going to be an awesome group. We moved to another camp and it was cold for a few days. I believe it got down into the low teens a few nights. We had a huge cuddle puddle under the tarp to stay somewhat warm. After we moved to the 3rd location it got even colder. I woke up in the middle of the night to the tarp dropping down and covered in snow. Luckily I had brought my bivy with me for a little extra warmth and to keep the elements out. I crawled out of my sleeping bag (in my underwear) and removed the snow and tightened the lines to the tarp. In the morning we ended up with about 3 inches of snow over night. At this point my butt had been cold the entire time of the trip. We then moved to ridge top called "Table Top" just outside of Morganton, NC. It's the Linnville Gorge area. We set up a base camp for a few days where we had resupplied and picked up climbing gear before making our way to the basecamp. Even more weight to walk with. Thankfully we had a basecamp and not carrying all this weight all over the mountains. This basecamp was up the hill from the Outward Bounds camp for NC area, this is where we would do out water resupply at night. Our lead guide use to guide for OB for about 10 years. The first day at the basecamp was super windy. It was annoying to climb and rappel in those conditions, but we made it work. The second day of our basecamp it was a little windy but not bad. We did some awesome climbing and rappelling in another area called the devil's cellar. It was much warmer and amazing the last day in the woods. The last full day we had we tore down and headed to Asheville to get something to eat and grab a beer for St. Patties day. Asheville is a nice little town, but it's nothing compared to being in the woods. We even hit up a climbing gym while in town. Now, if you ever rock climb outside, you will know that it's much better than climbing in a gym. Gym climbing is great, but I'd rather be on the real rocks. If, you've got questions for comments feel free to send it!!

Barry J, blind & lost, Harper and 3 others like this.
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice write up and a good trip young fellar. joe

blind & lost and Zac Swank like this.
  3. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice report. It's a nice area. I was there a year and a half ago and hope to make a trip up there again this year.

blind & lost and Zac Swank like this.
  4. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Linville Gorge is a beautiful wilderness area. Glad you had fun.

Zac Swank likes this.