Pitbull as a bird dog?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by PhunkyMunky, Oct 9, 2010.

1. PhunkyMunky

PhunkyMunky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The wife and I recently picked up a one year old pitbull, sweet as can be and awsome with my kids. So, I got to thinking. I believe in dogs having a job. She's already got one as the family dog, so now, I'm thinking of working with her to be a grouse/small game dog. I figure if I can train her to point and/or retrieve grouse, then I could possibly train her for pheasent, quail, and small game.

Ideally, it'd be nice for her to sniff out/spot game and then sit and wait while I get up to her, provided she's walking out front of me. After the shot, she could then retrieve it or at least stand by it and mark it.

Not sure how realistic that would be, but, I figure I may as well try. Has anybody here done this with a pitbull? I understand she'd be no match for an actual gun dog, I just thought it would be fun to be able to hunt with her.

How tough would this be? What considerations should I take when training this breed for hunting?

Winterhorse and Noddy like this.
  2. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have two jack russell

I tried the same with them. I found that while they have great noses, they are super fast too. They tend to chase rather than just point.

My dogs I thought would be great rabbit dogs since they love to get into burrows. They just ran the rabbit down and killed it and didn't leave much to eat. So that was illegal and such a waste.

When they did flush one they were too close to take a shot.

My terriers are great squirrel dogs though. They run a squirrel up the tree and just jump.

Terriers in general are go to ground dogs. Though I confess that pits may be different

Good luck though and be careful. I have one jack who flushes and won't come back anytime soon. I ruin my hunt by having to chase him down which can be difficult in taller brush

TNCanoer likes this.
  3. PhunkyMunky

PhunkyMunky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I've heard that before, and I'll have to keep an eye on it. Pits are prey driven animals, or so I've read, and so are given to chase and catch. As for small game, you're probably not unique in that your dogs will just catch a rabbit and eat it.

I'm going to try tying her to the tow hook of my truck and let her walk ahead with a long lead. The idea is that she'll respond when she spots game and I can stop my truck and she won't be able to rush in after it and therefore spook it. If I can get her doing that, then maybe I can teach her to spot and sit a safe distance from the grouse, giving me a chance to sneak in and shoot it, then have her retrieve after the shot.

But if I find she's running all the day long chasing everything that will run from her, I guess it'll be a waste of time.

BTW, any ideas on getting dogs to not fight over food/posessions?

My dad came over with his lab and they got along fine, until Bella (The pit) tried to get a kong away from Mocha (Lab). The fight was on, and we got it broke up real quick. Seems Mocha didn't like anyone trying to take "Her" toy. Then, a few hours later, they got into it again over some food, Mocha being the aggressor again. My dad and I talked it over and we're going to be feeding them in separate places, but it's no good having to worry about this the whole time they're here. I'm worried the dogs will either hurt eachother, or hurt someone trying to break it up. Any tips on getting BOTH dogs to not aggress eachother would be nice. Both dogs have been around other dogs, and are generally fine. It looks to me like they are working out who's boss, but I could be wrong.

4. dogman

dogman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep, they are trying to establish a pecking order. As you have only recently got your dog,if your dads dog been used to having the run of your place and being the only dog when it comes over, it now finds its got some competion, try them on neutral ground with a toy each, but food will always be a problem, feed them seperatly.

Don't tie her to your truck, got out there and do some some miles on your feet, then there's just you and the dog to think about, the truck is a recipe for disaster.

See what her play/prey drive is like, try some simple retrieve's, and go from there, but it must be enjoyable for both of you.

Rob

5. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I know @mtwarden trained his pit as a bird dog

Just looked I could have swarn he was a member here, buts hes on bladeforums.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    werewolf won and brionic like this.
  6. Mattnu

Mattnu Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pits are gnerally determined and tenacious, I guess they could make hunters. According to some literature they were originally bred to fetch large livestock, cows, horses, pigs etc in the Appilachians. Owners would send them to catch and hold a cow, pig etc until the owner could catch up. One that is aggressive can be pretty hard on small animals though.

I have a Yellow-Lab Pitbull mix, half and half. She has a great nose for tracking and sweet disposition. Not the brightest bulb though. I have trained her to retrieve cats when they escape from the house. She'll jump them and then hold them pinned to the ground until we come an pick up the cat. The learning curve was a little rough on the cats, but they survived.

7. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    It will be tougher, particularily with a one year old dog, even if you follow a structured program that builds the obedience foundation and adds the skills in a planned and consistent manner. The best (and easiest) results are usually obtained by starting dogs at 16 weeks or so. Dog training takes a lot of time. I would suggest you review a few training manuals and see if the programs will work for your personal schedule. There are a lot of good ones out there and one of the best for newer owners is Gun Dog by Richard Wolters. It gives you a step by step training program to follow. You can ignore his take on the age to do things. Good Luck.

8. Scotsmanspride

Scotsmanspride Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with that. Anything is possible but dogs have gotten to the point they are bread for specific traits to the point it is almost insane. I loved my pit but I will have to stick to my britneys for bird dog work. So much just comes natural to them.

9. Dano

Dano Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Like Mattnu, I also have a lab-pitbull mix and it's extremely friendly. He has a great nose and tons of desire. Hopefully as he gets some puppy out and grows a little older, he'll settle down. For now, if he gets scent and catches it (extremely fast!!), it's his! LOL

10. Bladed

Bladed Tracker

Blog Posts:
    American Pitbull dogs were originally breed as a multi-disipline working dog. While sport fighting was one of the parameters for the breed, it was not the main one. Pitbulls dogs were bred to be man hunters, rescue dogs, pack animals, guard dogs, and believe it or not, family pets. If you can find a good untainted line (no incest breeding, like the dog fighters use to make meaner dogs) a Pitbull dog is the most loyal gentle breed there is for a family pet.

SkipJunkie likes this.
  11. bigmattdaddywack

bigmattdaddywack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pits are usually holding hunting dogs meant for hogs and the like. They and American bulldogs are the classic American hog dogs.
    If that guy trained his to be a bird dog you may be able to.

jcs271 likes this.
  12. PhunkyMunky

PhunkyMunky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanx guys. I'll need to get some literature. My wife and I found her at the local animal shelter, and we think she MAY (not completely sure) be a mix of some sort. She's very sweet, has alot of energy, and seems very smart. I guess my best bet is to educate myself more and give it a shot.

On a lighter note, I just returned from one of my daughters first soccer game and my 3 year old boy unhooked my dogs leash, and she got loose. Man, that dog was all OVER that soccer field and we played hell catching her LOL. I knew she wasn't likely to attack anyone, but, I kept thinking If she tackles one of these kids to get at the soccer ball, I'll NEVER live that down! LOL She got out of the area where the field was and ran into the woods, where we managed to corner her against some thick brush and she finally gave up. There went a years worth of excercise for me!

13. statikpunk

statikpunk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a pitbull ..his name is buddy and he is the best dog I have ever had.
    the trick to reducing the chase instinct is to work on a stop command. go into a field with a friend have your friend call your dog. when your dog takes off give the command "stop" (you can augment this training with a long lead that can be pulled on) when it learns to stop reward it and so on. like you said pitbulls tend to be pig headed so the real test will be when its chasing something it "really" wants like a rabbit, but if your consistent it will learn to stop. its a good command to teach anyway. pitbulls have such a bad rep that a well trained one really helps the image with the haters.

as far as the fighting over the food and toys goes. you just need to establish dominance. "you" are the pack leader so you need to establish the dominance. I suggest making the lab the dominant dog. place food or the toy on the floor between them, when they both go for it, punish your dog and tell it "no" continue to do it until your dog learns that the lab gets first "dibs" on everything. you will feel bad, and it will seem like your picking on your dog but, it is better in the long run for your dog to understand that he is the lowest on the totem pole. this also helps when your dog meets new dogs because your pit will look to you to establish a pecking order for him. rather than figuring it out himself.
    im sure with practice you can teach your pit to hunt. it just may take a little more work than with a dog that it bred for the task.

here is a pic of my little boy with his sweater on :) awwwwwww
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Jighead and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  14. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That's stop command sounds like a winner. I just got a 2 year old Lab/Rot mix. Vet says he sees Pitt too? He so gentle he eats off a fork. But when he sees a squirrel he chases. He got away from my wife yesterday but came back after 10 min. I would love to take him to the woods and be able to let him off the leash when we're alone.

15. statikpunk

statikpunk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think its a very important command for strong dogs, more important than sit, especially if women are going to be walking them. I dont think any well trained dog is any more aggressive than any other dog, but if they are, pitts and rotts and other large dogs they have got the mustard to back it up, unlike a chihuahua. so its all the more important that the owner can control it all times even if its not on a leash.

i will admit that even after all this talk of obedience, I still cant keep mine from sleeping on the couch when im gone :eek: oh well we all have our work to do :)

16. PhunkyMunky

PhunkyMunky Tracker

Blog Posts:
    LOL I'm sure Bella sleeps on the couch, but, I work nights and had to sleep for most of today and woke up with her on the bed with me! All snuggled up... Maybe my bed was more comfortable then the floor? Either way, all I could do was laugh and tell her to get down.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  17. Nightside_Eclipse

Nightside_Eclipse Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome!

My pit mystery mix is a determined and driven little turd! Unlimited energy and almost immune to pain, I bet she'd make a great bird dog if she could actually focus on one thing long enough haha

Iowa outdoorsman and tomcfitz like this.
  18. cjc

cjc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Found this old thread and thought I would bring it back to life. Anyone giving their Pittbulls a job - hunting, shed dog, blood tracker? @mtwarden I would love to hear more about the bird dog if you feel like sharing a story or two

19. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not hard to believe for any of us that have owned or been around them at all. :)

SkipJunkie, Birdman and cjc like this.
  20. Jighead

Jighead Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Only one way to find out. If your pup is not gun shy the rest is up to you and your understanding of your pup. Good luck and keep us posted.

cjc likes this.
  21. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not a pit, but my brother had a Scott-type American bulldog that was a heck of a good blood trail dog. His nose and ability to learn the job was just fine. What couldn’t be helped was his murderous aggression towards humans outside of my brother’s immediate family and he had to be put down in his prime.

cjc likes this.
  22. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Staffordshire Bull Terrier was a damn good squirrel dog. Shes too old these days.
    My best all around woods dog has been a Malinois / Pit mix. From fetching birds, to taking down coyotes, he does it all.

brionic, Paulyseggs and cjc like this.
  23. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man I'm I glad you chimed in . I am a huge advocate for the breed and would/could easily bore most with talk/facts of them . They can be highly intelligent but always remember that they are true terriers hence the tenacity . And with that being said they might not be the best in all situations for all people .

24. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Loyalty to a fault ! But yet again that's what the breed was designed for .

cjc and SmilinJoe like this.
  25. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even when breed to be animal aggressive/fighters people aggression was not a desirable trait . They wanted the animals focus on the other animals not the people around the pit .

cjc likes this.
  26. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Start with basic obedience first, like when you say -STOP- it will stop, whatever it's doing, it will stop and stand waiting for you and new instructions. Ie.no running around footie fields.

cjc likes this.
  27. cjc

cjc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies! Love my pitts and have a long history with the breed, sad that they have the rep that they do..... I've always done obedience and the current pup I have now is on point - all the basic commands and them some, hand signals, off the lease, etc. My kids are older - I need a project and this dog needs a job Haha! I just can't decide what to start working him on. The prey drive is strong and I know he would be a great squirrel dog. I'd love to get him started hunting sheds or blood tracking but he seems to be more visual that scent driven. Toyed with the agility thing with a Staffy we had once but that becomes a full time job. I'll probably end up tossing sticks in the backyard lol

brionic and werewolf won like this.
  28. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My son and my BIL both have had two Pit Bull mixes and all four have lived in excess of 10 years each. They were (and one still is) healthy dogs, very intelligent, loyal, friendly to people, and crazy powerful. Three of the four were very tolerant of all other animals, the fourth one was fine with other dogs but would become an absolute insane and barely controllable monster when confronted with a cat. Those dogs prove that with the right environment and loving owners Pits are amazing dogs; however their dark reputation needs to be considered, with a weak minded idiot owner they can become absolutely the most dangerous animal most people in North America will ever encounter. If you don’t start with a pup or a very young dog, make sure it has not been ruined by an idiot. I’m sure you’d rather spend all your time training the dog to hunt not breaking it of unacceptable habits and still end up with a pet that you cannot trust off lead.

I think the problem you will find will be not the dog’s ability to be trained to do hunting skills, but health issues. Most bird hunting dogs are midsized, with denser fur or hair to protect them from thorns field debris and being smaller they tolerate heat better. I’d think they might be better suited as bear and cat dogs. I think at the end of the day however if you don’t hunt alone now you will going forward, most hunters with dogs will not trust your dog not to hurt theirs.

KFF and cjc like this.
  29. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I come scarred up and single minded.
    Just like my dogs...

Some folks dont like us darkies.
    Fine by me.
    Shows how some are raised with hate or fear.

Best dog out there far as I'm concerned.
    If they tolerated cold better they'd be the german shepherds of the cops and military.

Mess with their head while their eatiing.
    Be their alpha and they will do anything for you...
    Drown trying to fetch a rock from a pond.

cjc likes this.
  30. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    We had a few Staffordshires when I was growing up. As kids, we taught them all sorts of party tricks, but when they wanted to go, a switch went and there wasn't much stopping them. You'd certainly know if there was something over there in the bushes, but whether it was going to be there for much longer was a question. Super smart though and the most attentive and loveable things. We just got a border collie for our kids .. almost exactly the same personality .. sharp, affable, takes instruction well and is obedient ... up to a certain value. But, she'll be onto a squirrel before it can look up. All of which makes me wonder if it is maybe coming more from us than it is the dogs :lol:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    cjc likes this.
  31. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Noddy i hope your kids are atleast teens and plan to work with the dog.
    Bc's end up being problem dogs too, very many of them, due to boredom and frustration. They start inventing their own entertainment.

SkipJunkie and cjc like this.
  32. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, they can be naughty dogs. I grew up around border collies ... sheep hills ... and knew enough to take care around the working ones. Lot's of classes for her now ... every monday like the clock. She's out with us at least 4hrs a day. Kids are keen on getting her into gym .. she is too. Maybe the end of the year :) Trained, but not too trained .. it is a careful balance

You keep collies in Finland? Ours loves the cold, she gets so hot chasing around, and means she can stay out lots longer without having to lay down and cool off. We get a lot of snow, which then melts into great pools, and then it freezes and snows and thaws some more. Her great delight is flopping about in these pools and skating about on the ice.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    cjc likes this.
  33. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m a strong believer that although you can turn a good dog dangerous by improper raising, you’ll never make a born-dangerous dog good no matter how well you raise it. And that’s what I don’t see some bully breed owners acknowledge. Sometimes there really are bad ones that are hard wired that way and need to culled. There seems to be a resistance to admitting that.

I see that more in American bulldogs and American bulldog mixes than I do pits. I’ve never known a Scott-type American bulldog or derived mix that wasn’t an unreasonable danger to someone within its sphere. I even knew one pure Scott American bulldog that killed a little girl. I met the dog and the girl 2 weeks before it did so. They’re attack dogs thru and thru. Not family pets or even decent guard dogs. They’re killers. About what I’d imagine the old Roman and Spanish war dogs to have been like.

It was the Scotts, more than pits, that were bred to be cattle dogs, derived from the now extinct old English bulldog from the colonies in the southern US. The old English bulldog was often said to have been the most vicious dog known from history.

Pits were bred to be fighters, but also bred to be human tolerant due to the need to handle the fighters during and after the match. More human aggressive pits came about when selective breeding went out the window as dog fighting was illegalized and became the purview of the underground drug and gang culture.

SkipJunkie likes this.
  34. Jeremie

Jeremie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a pit that would retrieve downed birds and follow blood trails. But the birds were always smashed or really wet! I ended up using a leash and letting her track blood trails from deer.

cjc likes this.
  35. L0NER

L0NER -Gone Exploring- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the dog the trainer and the amount of time one wants to invest to train the dog.
    Some breeds are easier to train for certain jobs but most dogs can be trained to do just about what ever job you want them to do.

cjc likes this.
  36. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Noddy yeah, have had several, few pure, mostly kelpie/bc mixes, currently got a koolie/bc mix and looking for either a pure working kelpie or bc

FB_IMG_1551887334709.jpg

cjc likes this.
  37. Noddy

Noddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    :) got the look and all

KFF and cjc like this.
  38. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I'm gonna be the odd man out here. First of all I've had hunting dogs my entire life including now. I am also a certified Police K-9 trainer and handler. I am also a retired city police officer who has dealt with countless encounters of Pit bull terriers. Here is my take on it..there are few things as dangerous to the public as someone with a gladiator dog and they are naïve as to the background and capability of the animal. Pits were bred to fight period. Yes there are good ones with responsible owners, but there are also a lot of them walking around like a cocked gun. You don't know which is which by looking. Pit bull dogs have a horrible reputation as being dog aggressive, they have earned it. There have been countless cases of people, including children, mauled and or killed by them. They have a very high prey drive and tenacity like few other dogs posses. It is so bad in the Southeast because of dog fighting, several of the animal shelters will not adopt them out, they put them down. If you don't know the animals history, you are really rolling the dice guessing at its behavior. Your child or family or anyone else's may pay the price. All it takes is one careless second, someone brings a strange dog around and they don't click, a child gets too close to the food bowl or toy, there are a dozen bad things that can happen. I was awoke one night around 230 am by a ruckus in my yard. I went outside to find a pit bull ripping at my dogs kennel chain link fence trying to get to it. He was going to kill my small dog. Yelling and throwing things at him did not stop or deter him, but I found something that did. Here in South Carolina ( and probably most other states) the Insurance companies have a "Dangerous dog" list...Pit bulls, rotts, Shepard's, Dobermans and Chows are the dogs listed. If you have one of those breeds, they will cancel your homeowners Insurance. And that's the big companies i.e.; State farm, Allstate, Farm Bureau, Nation wide. It is worth a persons time to check that out because they have done their research and can show what a liability they are.

If you ever have the opportunity to go hog hunting with dogs, or check out "catch dogs" on you tube....you will see quickly what the dogs were bred for and what their capable of. . It will open a lot of eyes, and yes old Rover has the same blood. I served in the military as a Military Policeman and have trained with numerous city, county, state and federal K-9 officers. I have never, not once seen a pit bull trained for Police work of any kind. There is a reason for that. I've seen Pits that where gentle as a lamb with a family, but kill a dog walking down the road simply because they were there. I have owned a couple pits that were good catch dogs, but even with them it was hard to find one that would catch a hog but not jump another dog. I don't hate the breed but not everybody should own one, they are a lot of responsibility that goes with it. Do you want your children on a soccer filed with a rescue pit that's obviously not under control ???? What if a child had grabbed the ball or made the dog feel threatened ?? It could have been bad, real bad. As for hunting, most bird dogs have a lot of "Bird sense" bred into them. Pointing comes naturally not trained. A bird dog must have a soft mouth, a pit has just the opposite. You could get it easily to chase small game, but it will not bark on the track like a beagle or bark treed like a cur or feist. A one year old dog has not reached maturity yet and sometimes that's a game changer. You have to be very very careful and know what your dealing with.

Lead Dog, KFF, brionic and 1 other person like this.
  39. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife wanted me to take him w/ bird hunting to get some exercise, figured it couldn't hurt. Turns out he enjoyed it and actually had a pretty good knack for busting up sharptails. He wouldn't retrieve, but he did find a couple of wounded birds- he would put his paw on the wounded bird and hold it down for me :)

I wouldn't go as far saying he was a great bird hunting dog, but good enough he surprised several folks (me included)

KFF, Birdman, cjc and 1 other person like this.
  40. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    That can be said for any dog breed. Volunteering for a dog rescue for years, I was around hundreds of dogs, and have been bit a couple dozen times. Never once was it a pit. The worst two attacks were a Dalmatian and a Dachshund. The Dachshund wouldn't quit, if I would have been a small child it would have been really bad.
    ANY dog can be a bad seed from the get go. Hell, people are no different for that matter.

cjc and Paulyseggs like this.
  41. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another very good point . That coupled with the need to burn energy one way or another .

cjc likes this.
  42. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had pit bulls and pit/boxer mixes for a long time. Catch dogs for hog hunting. The redbones would find and bay and then we turn the pit loose. I am down to one pit bull now, he will likely be my last one as I am just getting too old to chase pigs through the woods.

I have never tried bird hunting with my pit bulls, but I have had some that were pretty good as squirrel dogs. But they tear up the squirrels if they get them into their mouth. They are hard headed dogs. But every one, with one exception, have been people dogs. The exception was submissive to my daughter and I but was standoffish to anyone else and could become standoffish to me when a stranger came around. I also have been very careful with my pit bulls around other dogs. They stay in the kennel or under control unless turned loose for the hunt. Then once the catch is made they are back under restraint. Only once have I had a Pitbull kill another dog, and I think it was not intentional, my daughters chihuahua attacked the pit. According to my daughters the pit did not lock it’s jaws as they do, but only nipped. Unfortunately the nip severed an artery and the chihuahua bled out. According to the girls the pit stopped hostilities but the chihuahua stayed locked to the pit until it bled out.

I am a firm believer that a pit bull is a pit bull. It can be trained to act like a French poodle, but inside they are still pit bulls. (I believe this about all animals, even the human animal. Bad blood.)

Inmate is the name of my last pit bull. We had gone to the shelter to find a replacement for my daughters companion who had passed. The shelter had this dog separate from all the others, it was a Saturday and the dog was going to be euthanized on Monday. The folks at the pound said it was a very good dog around people. I relented and we adopted the dog. Hence the name, my daughter says we sprung it from jail. I did everything I could think of to see if the dog would be aggressive to me. I could not get him to be. He is one of the best people dogs I have ever had. Thinks he is a lap dog. I know if Inmate is out of the kennel, the first place to look is my daughters bedroom. She will was him and bring him inside. They are best buddies. That said, I have seen this dog hunt and know full well his capabilities. Over the years I have come to trust him around people. Still will not allow him around other animals, outside of hog hunting. He is getting old, turning gray, when he is gone I will not be getting another.

cjc, Hillbilly stalker and KFF like this.
  43. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a pitbull greyhound mix.
    Great dog. Imagine a greyhound body with a pitbull head.
    Hunted on sight. We were hiking and a grouse flushed ahead. Maybe 25yds away. He takes off leaps up and catches that bird mid flight!
    Also had a very soft mouth. And dropped on command. When he caught the bird. I told him to drop. He did, the bird shook the dog slime off and flew away.

He was so fast, you could have him sitting at your feet, throw a frisbee or a ball and he would be waiting for it across the yard.

He was so gun shy. Fire a gun and he's 2 countys over.

I think it can be done. But it won't be easy.

My dog now would be a great squirrel dog. But gunshy. Again! Not a pit mix but a weiner dog mutt. She also really lazy! We went hiking. Maybe 4miles total. I had to carry her home. She just lays down and won't budge. :18::42:

Birdman, cjc and KFF like this.
  44. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    That's a fairly common breed/cross in some parts of the world. Mixing a sight hound with a terrier. They call them lurchers. Very cool dogs. I'd love to have one!

cjc and Paulyseggs like this.
  45. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He was a great dog! Had him 4 great years. Lost him to Lyme. Attacked and shutdown kidneys. image.jpg

cjc likes this.
  46. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    Bummer man. Sorry to hear that. He was good lookin too!
    My Malinois/Pit mix has similar markings. The brindle with white chest.
    Screenshot_20190723-094527_Instagram.jpg

Jighead, cjc and Paulyseggs like this.
  47. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cocker spaniels bite more people than any breed. Did you have the opportunity to break up any dog fights between a pit and another dog ? We use a " breaker bar" to pry open a pits jaws off of a hog. There is a big difference between a pit fight and most all others. Pits fight to kill. I could share several stories of that exact thing. One of my officers shot a pit twice with a .40 cal...and neither would turn loose. The best way to stop a pit bull or any other aggressive dog is with a fire extinguisher . The thing with pits is they have muscle and temperment to take care of business. They will get you sued when they get ahold of some old ladies lap dog. Insurance companies made that list for a reason. All the data is there for everyone to see.

Birdman likes this.
  48. cjc

cjc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the replies! Great to see so many folks having the breed and putting them to work. I've had many Pitts over the years as well as other breeds and hunting dogs. Just like SkipJunkie said - I need to get some energy burned off this guy! We work hard core on the obedience and get out daily for walks both on leash and off (in the woods). He is great with other dogs and people and about as happy as you can get - but he won't tire out Haha! I'm thinking it might be squirrel hunting that wins out .....but I love the frisbee idea that Paulyseggs had. I had a Rottie about 15 years ago that we could do some frisbee tricks with but she didn't last long, pretty lazy. She was a therapy dog

Paulyseggs likes this.
  49. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Fire extinguisher works great. We used to have a rechargeable unut. Wed fill it with a mix of water and vinegar. Worked like a charm for dog fights.

Paulyseggs and cjc like this.
  50. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some folks are just ignorant and small minded.
    See some color or breed and jump to their prejudices.
    Good. Be proud as to show the color of your truth...

Paulyseggs likes this.