Places to Practice in Maine

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Moonstorm86, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Moonstorm86

Moonstorm86 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I live in the Bangor/Orono area in Maine, and I'm not sure where I would be able to go out and practice skills like fire building and shelter building. If anyone knows where or have any general advice in finding a suitble site, it would be a huge help.
    Thanks!

bumma, mainewoods and x39 like this.
  2. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17

Blog Posts:
    Wish u luck on fining a place to practice your skills. Prov 27 : 17

mainewoods likes this.
  4. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Old town here. Welcome to BCUSA , Post up on introductions .

x39 likes this.
  5. bumma

bumma I'm not lost. Just a bit confused. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome! Wish I could help but I'm over here on the NH line. May I suggest maps and road trips. Good luck!

mainewoods likes this.
  6. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hi, my ideal recommendation is White Mountain National Forest. Their regulations are best suited to allowing bushcraft type use, in my opinion. Most of the NF land is in NH, but there is a smaller district of the forest in Maine too. That might be more of a drive than you want as your go-to day-trip practice place, but it might be worth looking at if you are planning a longer multi-day camp trip sometime. You probably CAN get away with going into the woods for bushcraft, open fire, shelter building, primitive camping, etc at other public lands in Maine, the "best" such option probably being Public Reserve Land. But I've researched it myself recently and it is not really condoned and probably not within regulations. Are you going to get caught or prosecuted? Probably not. Another option would be to ask a friend or other owner of a tract of private land, hunting camp, etc. Sometimes if you explain how you use the land responsibly and respectfully for bushcraft, and offer some kind of compensation, barter, deal, etc a landowner will give you permission to camp or bushcraft on their land with whatever rules you 2 agree to. Just recognize that permission is a responsibility and don't take advantage.

Sorry I can't be of more help with specific local practice place advice. I will say, that depending on your living situation, there is nothing wrong with practicing in your backyard! You don't have to be in deep woods to hone your skills (but of course it is more fun if you are!). Some bushcraft skills can be practiced at city public parks or trails if you have that sort of thing around. Just make sure anything you are practicing in a public space is within local regulations. Friction fire ember practice might be ok, but you probably can't proceed to build an open fire unless the park has those BBQ grates for grilling. Also, any practice you do in the open with edge tools like knives or axes will likely attract attention, raise eyebrows, and probably be reported to the police. So check local knife length rules etc. Sad, but most people would probably be scared by the sight of a Bushcrafter whittling a spoon with a knife at a park. If they don't use knives and axes as tools themselves, their paradigm view is that knives and axes are scary weapons. Just something to consider.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Terasec likes this.
  7. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Drive up the road apiece on RT. 16 about 20 mi. to the Maine public land preserve in South Lagrange and have at it.

Aaron Wing likes this.