plantar fasciitus

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Riverpirate, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's great news!

2. coachp

coachp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Suffered from PF for over a year and was taking 8oomg of ibuprofen each night for the inflammation and pain per doctor's orders and was already taking 400mg of magnesium daily for a different affliction. I tried New Balance running shoes, inserts, stretching, etc. The greatest relief - and now preventative - was boots. Vasque Sundowner, Thorogood Beloit, and Red Wing Heritage. My guess is that it is the combination of a heel that forces some "stretch" and possibly the ankle support to help with alignment. Nevertheless, the PF rarely flares up now.

3. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It is just awful. Once had it so bad needed to move my entire leg as couldn't put pressure on the heel. Had to skip to the door basically on one leg getting up in the AM. It is the worst in the AM. I had it on the trail once and that was a nightmare. Hard to walk never mind hike with a pack. I got it two years ago during a group winter camping trip. Maybe running with the extreme cold weather boots and heavy pack was a bad idea? For a few days was basically crippled in camp. I forget if it was ice or heat but one of the two really really helps. I think it was ice. yes... it was ice. Nothing else works.

4. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did well with zetia in place of Lipitor, statins cause a whole lotta problems and can be hell on inflammation!

5. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had PF for 4+ years. Now I practically live in Crocs Yukon slides. Always wear them in the house as we have wood floors. Yet they go out a lot too. Far and away, the most comfortable footwear for me now. Like others, I was advised early on not to walk barefoot or in flip-flops. Interestingly, I've used Crock water shoes while rafting and light wade fishing with good success as well.

I went through a lot of over the counter insoles without success. Dr Scholl's Superfeet, you name it. None of them helped much. After seeing a well recommended Podiatrist, I got custom inserts. They are not cheap but I've been wearing them almost 2 years and they are a big big improvement. It's PIA to swap them out every time I change shoes however. Most of the time they stay in a pair of New Balance walking shoes. Got Black, brown and white pairs as I almost never wear dress shoes anymore. Just too painful. Another brand of footwear that's very comfortable for me are Muck Wetland Boots. These are very comfortable without inserts. Given their functionality in field and stream, I swear by them.

I must confess to having not taken the rehabilitative exercises seriously enough. I'm sure they would help if I only took the time. But I rarely do. So while the crocks, Mucks and NB shoes have made life manageable, custom orthotics have proved effective and durable as well. This combinations of partial solutions is what has worked best for me...so far.