Plastic Framed Coleman Peak 1

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by rescout, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    A local surplus store has a plastic-framed, US made Coleman Peak 1 pack. It appears little used. The tag is $70. I think this is the "Ram-X" frame. I recall these seem to be well thought of. What is the consensus here? I confess I'm interested in it out of nostalgia, both for the Coleman of yore and as a US made pack that doesn't cost big bucks.

2. woodsmith

woodsmith Guide

Blog Posts:
    It cost about $70 new. I have one I used for years. It survived two Philmont treks and several day/weekend hikes. I haven't tried it on in a while, it wasn't fitting very well by the time I hit college - so make sure it'll adjust to fit you if you go for it.

Plus side - external frame, easy to lash onto, has enough flex that it will twist with your body (most external frames felt like having an aluminum ladder strapped to your back). Roomy compartment, easy adjustment of size/fit.

Downside: less stiffness means that you can't lash as big a load to the frame, heavy what with all the buckles and toggles. Could be hot.

I enjoyed using mine, I might go back to it for a winter hunting pack where I need to carry buiky gear. For summer use I've downsized a lot and carry a much smaller internal frame or daypack with a good mesh vent system (it gets here in the humid south).

3. chopchop

chopchop Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of the peak 1 frames. I've used one for work with a small honda generator and a circuit box attached to it (electrofishing). The setup probably weighs around 45-50 lbs when it's full of gas. It carries well and the frame handles it great.

These frames are no longer made by coleman. Outdoor products took over production some time ago, and makes them under the name "dragonfly" and "firefly". They also have another frame with "mantis" in the name that has changed the shape a bit, to the worse imo.

What size is the one you're looking at? I know there are different sizes, and I'm told that guys used to mod the smaller 24" frame to fit an alice pack. I've got a 32" frame in my basement right now. Damn thing is huge.

The great thing about these is that they are super adjustable, and it's extremely easy to rig ties, straps, whatever for carrying odd loads. The plastic is surprisingly durable. The one we've been using at work is going on 15yrs of hauling in and out of streams, trucks, etc. and still strong w/o any cracks. It's all scuffed, but no worse for wear. Another bonus is that it's pretty easy to rig new straps and a new belt to one.

Best of luck with it!

If you're looking for an inexpensive US plastic frame, you might look at Downeast frames as well... 1606? 1604? something like that. They're the plastic frames for the army's molle ruck. The newer foliage and coyote frames are supposed to be much better than the old black ones. I've not had any experience with them personally, but have read good things.

4. HardBall

HardBall Basket of Deplorable Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I remember these being pretty good packs. My buddy had one in the early 80's when they were cutting edge technology. I would think you could do a little better on the price, though.

5. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    You might want to think about upgrading the suspension as it's pretty primitive from a modern standpoint.

There was also a later redesigned Peak 1 frame that doesn't have nearly the rep as the original.

FWIW Peak 1s are currently going in the $30-$50 (w/shipping) range on eBay.

1603 MOLLE frame
    1606 is the ALICE compatible frame
    1609 is a lighter more minimalist U-shape for use with day/assault packs - will also work with ALICE

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's to much for that frame, I sold one on eBay not long ago for $50 shipped and it had the bag and all straps. There's a couple in there now for well under $50 shipped.

Ive been using that frame for over twenty years, I strapped a whole, gutted pig to it, around 130 lbs and hoofed it out 2 miles so it will carry some weight. The one I have is the smaller frame that I have attached pouches to for a light weight modular setup for 1-2 day trips, any longer than that and I carry my kifaru.

Love the frame but $70 is to much.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by Hunt4lyf, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  7. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    The smaller frame = youth model correct?

8. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure, mine is a smaller frame and it fits me fine and I'm 6' 2".

9. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have one of those from way back when i was in boyscouts ... its a nice pack im thinking about modding the back a bit to suit my changed needs

and 70 is way to much

10. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. It may be awhile before I go back to that shop, but if it is still there at least I will be more knowledgeable about it.

11. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just in case it's of use to anyone I've posted pics of the three different Peak 1 frames:

Standard:
    [​IMG]
    Youth:
    [​IMG]
    Later redesign:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  12. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Skotelawe. I'm pretty sure they one I looked at was the original, adult-sized frame.

13. chopchop

chopchop Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine looks like this one, except it has a plastic channel molded into the frame for attaching the bag, rather than the metal rivets.

I think the biggest functional difference between the youth & adult frame (apart from the obvious difference in frame length) was the size of the belt & straps. I think you used to be able to order the shorter frame with adult-sized straps and belt.

Either way, it's really easy to adjust and rig things to fit, so if you had straps and belt that were long enough, then I think the shorter frame could work fine for an adult... and Hunt4lyf is living proof! :dblthumb:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  14. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    The smaller frame has worked out great for me! I did not care for the large frame, just to big. I bought mine 24 years ago and it was called a "Dwight "Schuh" but the packs that came with the frame fell apart long ago but the frame is still going strong. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

15. chopchop

chopchop Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! I would probably use mine more if it were smaller.

16. Oneironaut

Oneironaut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    London Bridge Trading built an external frame incarnation of the FPLIF/CFP-90 around the Peak 1 frame in (I believe) the early 90's. That must say something about the frame's durability and functionality.

[​IMG]

17. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice pack! I like it...

18. NorCalHermit

NorCalHermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a complete Peak1 set up in great condition at a Buddhist Church rummage sale a couple of months ago. For .75 cents. Best deal I have gotten in years! Only draw back was that the waist straps were cut down for a smaller person. I plan on fixing that next weekend.

19. Hunt4lyf

Blog Posts:
    Cant beat that price! Wanna double your money?

20. Buck Rnr

Buck Rnr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the standard frame with out a pack, but with the straps. I'm thinking about molle straps and waist belt. Are they compatible? Id like to use this as a game hauler.

21. Oneironaut

Oneironaut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've heard good things about using MOLLE II suspension components on the Peak 1 frame. Check out this thread:
    http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81453

22. roweman07

roweman07 Scout

Blog Posts:
    OK thanks. That gives me a bit to work with. In your opinion would cutting down the top of the frame to fit the Alice be detrimental to anything?

23. Badgerkc

Badgerkc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a plastic external game hauler frame from bass pro that I am in the process if modifying now. I'll take some step by step pictures And post them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    here is how I put the MOLLE suspension and stuff to my Coleman PEAK 1 frame; along with one way of attaching the Medium ALICE and having room up top for extra items

Attached Files:

25. MedievalMike

MedievalMike Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Camodeafie82

thanks for your post I just got a Coleman frame last week and am waiting on a Mollle belt to throw my Hellcat Alice together. I am also recycling the top straps for my Molle shoulders like you did. I saw where you attached your Alice without shaving down the side of frame. how did you manage that?

I just looked a little closer and it looks like you just mounted it lower on the frame. Does it carry well for you there. love your set up BTW.

26. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    it is quite simple, since it is a Medium, I simply used the MOLLE's green load lifter strap attachments to tie the rectangle rings from the ALICE pack onto the frame's slotting, because on the original frame, that metal rectangle ring and the webbing its attached to, is the primary load lifting system, while the frame is just to support the pack and its sleeve. (often you will see where stitching is blowing out on the sleeves tops to the pack tops)

when worn without the frame, these rings are again, the primary load carrying system. That is why they seem to have an excess of straps sewn onto the back of the packs....its to hold the load to the shoulder straps, while alleviating the load on the pad sleeves, this works only for the Medium series, the Large on the other hand, does NOT have such d-rings...and would need modifications to get it to fit the Peak 1 frame.

EDIT: that's one way to mount it, I did the same thing to mount it higher on the frame, and put the black load lifter straps on the outboard sides of the frame top slots.

the slots are really in the perfect place up top for those rings and straps. I mounted mine higher after those pics, because I wanted to be able to mount my MSS bag on the bottom and not have it hang too low, and didn't like it on top of the pack due to the straps not being in the right place to retain it well.

27. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    This pic left me a little confused until I realized that you originally had the ALICE mounted lower on the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one might also be of use showing where the straps are attached:
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants a more detailed description of his mod you can find one in the blog entries Coleman Peak 1 framed Hellcat pack & Revised Improved Hellcat hunting rig and two standard ALICEs.

28. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    thanks; yes that is the blog I run :) and yes it was set up low on the frame at first...Now I'm running it with the pack at the very top of the frame.