1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Plumb Axe Hudson Bay advice

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by mountainwalker, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seeking advice, has anyone had experience using one of these axes (I have an opportunity to buy it)? The handle is around 24 inches long. Such a large head I was wondering if it would be too top heavy? Any comments appreciated (axe newbie)

plumb axe.jpg

plumb 1.jpg

plumb 2.jpg

plumb 3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hard to tell much from a photo like this
    Handle doesn't look original and is a rather strange design and I wonder what it is made of.
    Head looks to be polished and buffed up.

You didn't say how big the head is, I have a couple of these Hudson Bay type axes and they usually have a head about 7 inch long with a 4 inch cutting edge, an original handle will be about 26 inch long. What I call a Half or Canoe Axe. They are great axes for general light duty work and for camp use.
    If I bought this axe I would have to change that handle out then rust up the head

3. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    any thing from plumb is pretty good, if the price aint to steep I would get it.
    Looks like the haft is stained and a good job done on it.

Larry

4. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That handle looks handmade. An unusual shape. The head may have been ground down. I have 3 Plumb Hudson Bays and they look different than that. The poll should have angular chamfers at the corners unless that is a later model. Plumb put the same 1 3/4 lb. head on handles from 17 to 24 inches and gave them different names.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Kile

Kile Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own 6 plumb axes and am friends with a fellow who collects them and I have never seen one stamped at the poll. That's unusual, or at least just something I haven't seen before. They make some darn good axes though. I just spent 3 days in the woods with my boys axe and my 4 lb er in weather that never saw north of 20f so needless to say they did some work. They performed like a champ and only needed the edges touched up when I got home.

6. 08H3

08H3 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my old Plumbs too, but I have not seen one with a Bit that long. either way Id probably buy it just cause....

7. mjf

mjf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I say buy it! Plumb makes excellent products. Their steel is incredibly hard and holds quite an edge. Combined with the fact that it looks badass I would take it.

8. ATsawyer

ATsawyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That style axe typically hangs with more of a closed face. Your picture shows an unusually open hang for that head, no doubt a re-hang preference by the previous owner. The small poll would be a drawback for pounding wedges if you planned to use it for bucking/felling with a saw or as an underbuck. That kind of use can loosen heads, and that style head has less bearing surface for the handle. Other than that, it should be a good limbing and small log chopping saw as well as a light carry. Looks to be 2-1/2 pounds?

9. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most PLUMBs are marked closer to the middle of the axe. Maybe Operator will check in on this one. It looks like a good lookin axe though, I'd buy it if the price was right. The handle is what makes it look unique. If there are any doubts about the hardness, I'd take a good file do an edge test.

10. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. I have added a few more pics. Also the only dimensions i have for the head size are (8 3/4" x 4 1/4"), no weight info. Should have added those details at the time, but it was getting pretty late here and I needed some zzzzz

The handle is made from Red gum which is an Australian Eucalyptus, so definitely rehung. If I bought it I would use it just as a general camp axe. Which for me means stowing it in, or attaching it to a pack.

Sounds like there is a lot of respect for the old plumbs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have an idea on the approximate age?

12. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    In the first photo it sort of looks like it is a laminated axe which I think would put it back into the early 1900s at the latest probably but not sure.
    I've never seen one marked like that either but I just noticed you are from Australia and maybe that was how Plumb marked their axes they exported there.

I sell a good many Axes on ebay and is surprising how many get sold to people in Australia, you put a good embossed head up and it's about a 50% chance it will be going to Australia, guess they are big down there

13. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Nick! That's interesting regarding the demand for vintage Axes in Australia. I guess like the US and Canada forestry and agricultural industries are part of our heritage, we also have a pretty healthy competitive wood chopping scene.

If your correct with the age estimate, it's in pretty good condition.

14. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    Thats a beauty, Id be on it for the right price.

15. adkwalker

adkwalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks good but as others have mentioned I have never seen a Plumb stamped there may have a rare find

16. 08H3

08H3 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My plumb is stamped back by the poll.

17. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I took the plunge and bought the axe and it will soon be delivered. Fascinated to see what its like. Thanks for the info everyone. Bushcraftusa is an amazing community :)

18. Kile

Kile Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good buy!