PNW North Fork Elk Camp

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by OutnBacker, Sep 8, 2019.

1. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, the PNW Group Meet wasn't exactly a standing room only event, but it was a good time anyway. With an initial interest pool of nearly twenty, it whittled itself down to five, due to a variety of circumstances. Still, those of us who made it were glad to be there.

I didn't get there til Saturday morning and was happy to see Mr. and Mrs. Skeptiks ( I tease them with that moniker because they were married just a few months ago), and Big hat, who reserved the group site. Later Saturday, Duncsquatch arrived, bringing his excellent longbow and equally excellent skills therewith.

The Skeptiks's, with Duncsquatch just getting there in the background...
    North Fork Sept 6-8...1.jpg
    Here is Big Hat suffering with my heckling as he uses his Opinel pocket saw to get started on a mallet.
    North Fork Sept 6-8...3.jpg
    And here he is, having just about enough heckling. Notice the threatening position of the saw. Some time around here I wandered off to strip bark from a downed cedar with my teeth, mumbling about making some cordage, or whatever...
    North Fork Sept 6-8...4.jpg

Having failed miserably at making cordage, and seeing Mr. and Mr.s Skeptiks, as well as Big Hat succeed brilliantly, I mentioned that perhaps I'd be better at using cedar bark for dress making.

Later that night, we enjoyed some excellent rabbit chili verde and tortillas ala Big Hat, which he prepared in his Big Vat. We also feasted on a perfectly seasoned salmon fillet. I think the Skeptiks brought that. Boy! Was that good.
    North Fork Sept 6-8...5.jpg
    Around dinner time, we had a rather active thunder head come over, so we quickly set up a tarp, but it was largely done in about a half hour, with just a few sprinkles from thereon. The lightshow went on for a few hours though.
    North Fork Sept 6-8...2.jpg

Later Saturday night, as the refreshments came out (I should say, after the refreshments came out), there was a deep and sincerely engaging conversation regarding the probability that Sasquatch exists. Regrettably, I cannot report on any final conclusions concerning the matter. Other debates and observations covered such eclectic subjects as the various shapes and designs of spear points, both currently available to those who do things with that kind of stuff, and those ancient and proven.

Somehow, probably with the change in flavored beverages making the rounds, the subject of certain plants came up - and I have no idea how - but it was pointed out that the plant in question resembled, both in name and shape, certain anatomical features found on ...well....half of the human race. In no time at all, one of our number seemed to loose the ability to maintain comportment, at one time turning his back and walking away, all to much pointing and roaring by everyone else. There was much comedy in the air.

Anyway, we had a great time and we all commented how missed were those who could not make it. It could only have been better.

Sunday morning, cleaning up and getting ready to leave. The Skeptiksez are still cocooned and I'm gathering my stuff and getting ready to pull down the tarp. A few minutes later they emerged and I stuck around so they could have the last of the chickpea hash I brought. Then, they helped me with the tarp and I was on my way home.
    North Fork Sept 6-8...8.jpg
    C'mon. I don't look like a heckler, do I?

Looking forward to the Millersylvania GTG on Nov 1-3.

dougx, Dinsdale, wannabee and 32 others like this.
  2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good time was had by all! :)

3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really wish I could have been there. Great pics, thanks for inviting us! :)

4. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great time. Sorry I had to miss you folks this time, but glad you all kept up the tradition!

Thanks for the update.

:38::38:

5. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a great time wandering about the creek flinging arrows, checking out the various and quite different gear philosophies, chowing, imbibing, and just hanging out around the fire.

6. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fun, fire, and fellowship...

It was good times

7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you all had fun! :)

8. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Green Haired Weirdo Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A great get together for sure. Always fun to be in the woods, and as usual the company was great.

The wife and I got in pretty late on Friday night (think 11 PM or so) we got a bit lost though. So that night was spent quickly setting up camp and rekindling what was left of the fire to heat up some late dinner.

That night we had a few visitors besides the mosquitoes and midges. There was a vile running around and then this fine fellow.

20190907_020108.jpg

Next morning we crawled from our cocoon to meet John and start breakfast. He was good enough to bring and share his amazing chickpea hash, and good god that stuff is amazing!

After breakfast the needling and bushcraft building of things began in earnest. As well as some exploring of the river bed. 20190907_130321.jpg 20190907_144750.jpg
    20190907_160726.jpg
    We worked on different projects until it started to rain as we were making dinner, then it was a mad dash to get a tarp up and all the gear under cover.
    20190907_172025.jpg the salmon my wife prepared was fantastic and paired up nicely with the pirates tears and chili verse that @BigHat brought along. From there we talked and drank long into the night. What a blast!

Also, I found this rock. It's a damn cool rock.

20190909_064443.jpg 20190909_064447.jpg

November cant come fast enough, I'm stoked for millersylvania!

9. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I still say you glued that rock together.o_O

10. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I'm still sticking with the idea that ita someone's crack rock :D

MrFixIt and Red Yeti like this.
  11. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remain Skeptikal

Skeptiksks, MrFixIt and Red Yeti like this.
  12. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What a nice gathering, thanks for sharing the report!

13. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice PNW gathering! Wish I could have been there but all weekends have been booked... but should see ya'll at Millersylvania.
    Bring that rock and sweatshirt @Skeptiksks :dblthumb:
    Cheers!

Skeptiksks and OutnBacker like this.
  14. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    The rock is definitely coming, and the sweatshirt is definitely joining me (it was ironically, or not depending on how you look at it) a huge hit in Norway.

Getting more and more excited for the next meet!

plantedtao likes this.
  15. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A great outing, the salmon looked great! Thanks for sharing.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  16. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That salmon looks amazing. Bet it tasted just as good. :)

Skeptiksks likes this.