1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Watch?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Chet Punisher, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher Guide

Blog Posts:
    Can someone suggest a good affordable pocket watch?

2. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just started carrying one and I got mine from goodwill then I got a even better one from my stepdad who had a couple in a drawer. Check pawn shops or jewelry stores for used ones

Winterhorse likes this.
  3. Excomantia

Excomantia Bushcrafter

Blog Posts:
    The one I take into the woods with me is a cheap wind up pocket watch I snagged from Walmart. It works fine and I'm not worried about it out there. I don't like wrist watches so I use pocket watches. I don't like having to replace batteries so I look for spring driven ones. I have a nice gold one that only comes out when I have to go all fancy. The Walmart one is the one I usually carry when I can't rely on my dinocellphone.

Winterhorse and CowboyJesus like this.
  4. Yevoc1

Yevoc1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Antique flea markets are a good place to find em, but you'll pay a hefty price for one of the old good ones.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I paid $40 used for one of the Swiss Army/Victorinox jobbers, the ones in the leather cover. Very good watch. They seldom go that cheap, but you only need one...

Winterhorse likes this.
  6. MarkW

MarkW Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the "good", but chinese mechanical pocket watches are certainly affordable:

http://www.dx.com/s/mechanical++pocket+watch

Otherwise my suggestion is to buy a quality antique watch and budget to have it cleaned and lubricated. I haven't priced it lately but last watch I had serviced cost $40.

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought this old key wind/key set Hunter case pocket watch for $30 and had it repaired, cleaned, and lubricated for about $70. It keeps perfect time, has no chips or cracks in the porcelain face or the crystal, and is just a pleasure to carry. It came with its original key and chain as well. It's like having history ticking in your pocket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Winterhorse, oldpagan and CowboyJesus like this.
  8. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Also might wish to investigate the largest one offered by the Andy Weaver Co. Quartz, heavily cased, only real drawback for me is the lack of lume. Best I recall, a little under 60 bucks new.

9. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This...great watches. Good luck for $40 though.

10. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ive recently went back to usin one. I have an Eddie bauer. Stainless steel watch case,Stainless steel watch chain, Swiss movement, batery operated. It takes 3 bateries. It has a feature if you press down on the crown it will be back lit in a green light, similar to the old Timex Indiglo's

With a small brown leather belt pouch

[​IMG]

With a SAK as Watch Fob

[​IMG]

I also got a wrist strap so the pocket watch can be worn on the wrist. This is WW1 technology

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Can be seen here with all my other EDC belt gear

[​IMG]

I also have a nice brass hunter with a gentleman's knife fob that I will wear for more dressier occasion

[​IMG]

12. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a swiss army also.....seen a lot of use....replaced the battery once or twice...mine has an alarm if that is important to you.

13. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got a cheap battery Times pocket watch from Wally World. Made a wet molded leather belt pocket for it. I am mortal death on wrist watches. I prefer a pocket watch with a spring cover to protect the crystal.

14. Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys, I'll have to hit up some flea markets or pawn shops...

15. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    don't forget ebay

16. Chet Punisher

Chet Punisher Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i looked at ebay, but im not sure what brand names are good to go.

17. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    thanks everyone, now i'm watching for something else on craigslist! my wife will hate you all. yeah, i'm willing to wait, but you all got me wanting to find wind up pocket watch!

I've never see a wrist strap for a pocket watch! that's amazing/ingenious! that come from a store, or homemade?

18. grendal

grendal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sitting in my tin can, far above central ohio
    You all are classy people. A pocket watch would be neat.

19. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    Waltham, Elgin etc

20. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    Store

21. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can cheat- if you look at eBay - you notice the price structure(s) and you can see what is commanding the higher prices...that will,usually indicate quality...NOT always.
    There are "Watch forums" and some of these guy TOTALLY geek out on watches! I mean I can't imagine ANYBODY being so totally absorbed in one thing--- I mean really

Ive been carrying a pocket watch for 35+ years. I didn't like things on my wrist to get caught on in the military and quite literally, my old motorcycles have shaken the hands off of more than one watch.

Unless it is brand new- whenever you get yours (I recommend a "Hunter's case" those are the ones that open up.) find a local jeweler who handles watch repairs- I prefer in-house- however, you do what you can just find a good one. Have the watch cleaned and adjusted (I don't care what the seller says---,pay be if your buying it from Jewler or watch shop would be the exception). Pay attention to winding. Mine takes 22 windings if I let it go completely out...which brings us to the second part- wind it A) Slowly, B) as close to the same time everyday, C) never wind it completely taut. When I wrote 22 windings... I wind my pretty close to the same time (about 7AM) everyday and I wind it 13 times. My everyday watch will actually go approximately 18 hours on 13 winds however, I am not loading the spring up to its max tension and thus reducing the chance of failure.

By having it serviced every couple of years (my old Jewler charged me $25 to clean and oil it) my carry watch has been in my pocket for 18 years. I have my Grandfather's watch from when he was telegraph operator in 1900s. It still amazes me how accurate it is.

PS- if you get a Huntsman's cased watch- DO remember to depress the cover release when you close it! My old watch guy said he made a pretty penny in just replacing those catches when people didn't do that simple act.

22. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Check your private messages, Chet.

23. Excomantia

Excomantia Bushcrafter

Blog Posts:
    This is the one, it's almost lunchtime!
    [​IMG]

24. Chevrolet4x4s

Chevrolet4x4s Guide

Blog Posts:
    I had one of those back in the day, kept good time.
    Shane

25. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know nada about Majesti/Majestime.

However, I found a likely 80s quartz Majestime at a flea market with the ultra Reagan-era moon phase feature, and the dang thing was apparently running NOS. It has the peek-a-boo hunter style case with the window in the lid (I think in the 1800s it was called a demi-hunter). Kinda ugly gold plated, but for 30 bucks...

Makes me want to have a girlfriend with big hair and leg warmers. Very 30 years ago.

26. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:

One of my favorite haunts, CountyComm.com offers a different version: http://www.countycomm.com/12sizepocketwatchholder.html

27. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bear well in mind re the CountyComm mount: Vast majority of vintage American pocket watches are 16 size, 12 size is smaller.

28. RhodeWarrior

RhodeWarrior Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have this Victorinox pocket watch. Its very dependable and has a nice look to it. They don't make it anymore but you can snag em used on ebay for about $150

29. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    RhodeWarrior, my watch is a variant of that one. They are awfully awfully good stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  30. nug

nug Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    sgt. Mac, I have an eddie bauer pocket watch like yours. can you tell me how to take off the back for watch replacement--is it a screw off or pop off?

31. nug

nug Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

32. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    Pop off Buddy

33. JMV

JMV Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got lucky a couple years ago and got a Hamilton 4992B military pocket watch with the 24 hour dial for under $100. Damn fine watch, keeps pretty accurate time.

34. wdstephens

wdstephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Railroad approved pocket watches are the ones that bring premium money. The 4992B mentioned above is simply a railroad movement re purposed as a navigator's watch. Hamilton was the most expensive with Waltham and Elgin rounding off the list. The Ball company offered a line if pocket watches but they were all made by one of the companies mentioned above. The 16 size case is the most popular but you can pick up the larger 18 size for less money. A Waltham 845 or Hamilton 940 are examples of railroad approved 18 size pocket watches that sell for far less than a 16 Size Hamilton 992 or Ball 999 or Elgin B. W. Raymond etc. The 18 size watches are older and will have more beautiful movements. The more jewels the better. It's not a money thing. The jewels are bearings and the more jeweled bearings the less likely the moving parts will wear out. To be railroad approved a watch had to be open faced, have bold aribic numerals and be lever set. With a lever set watch you do not pull out the winding stem to set the time. Below the screw on crystal there is a lever you pull out with your finger nail. Then the hands could be set. The days of getting an old watch fixed and or cleaned cheap have come and gone. You may very well pay more to have the watch cleaned/fixed than you paid for it. Outside of blue jeans, you'll be hard pressed to find pants with a watch pocket. I had a brown and a black belt pouch made for my carry watch. Where to buy? You just have to have an idea what you want and know what it should roughly be worth. After that patiently look. Take a close look at the dial. Hairline cracks are no big deal but dials with dark wide cracks and chips or chunks or missing porcelain or areas of repaired dial should be avoided. It was not uncommon for movements to inhabit several cases. People bought items for life and if the case wore out it would be replaced. Don't let a quality new case bother you but do steer clear of cases with big dings and dents and wear. A dented case may be difficult to open. Remember a pocket watch is a big commitment. It's always best to start with a cheap wal mart version before you invest hundreds in an antique. Make sure a pocket watch fits you before you plunk down serious cash. Good luck!

hooliganwithheart and Sgt. Mac like this.
  35. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been carrying this cheapo pocket watch for the last year or so now. Spring on the door is going fast but keeps perfect time. Not bad for $15 lol

Pocket-Watch.jpg

But like many, i've been looking at an older used one but always get scared off as i don't know what i'm looking at or if it's good to go. I don't want to buy one only to send it off for tlc and further cost. Or find out i've been diddled with a piece of crap!

I do like pocket watches though, usually have one out camping, etc :dblthumb:

36. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg I posted above about the old J Favre Jacot pocket watch I bought at an old run down jewelry shop, but the photo is no longer visible, so I'm reposting. It cost me $30. It's a key wind/key set. I had it cleaned and lubricated, and it keeps very accurate time. It's over 100 years old and I just love the sound of it. I will probably buy a mechanical beater pocket watch for everyday use.