Polaris to TC

Discussion in 'Gossman Knives' started by PatrickKnight, Mar 10, 2019.

1. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have seriously been thinking about trying to trade my Polaris for a TC. The Polaris is just a bit to short in height for my liking, and I am hoping with the taller blade stock normally used on the TC it might fit better.

Thoughts?

2. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems logical to me. Similar handles and blade length the TC has a taller height and a different profile of course. Can't go wrong with either or the Orion IMO.

3. ugashooter

ugashooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just curious. Why do you prefer a taller blade profile? Is there something you’re not currently able to do with the Polaris, or is it just aesthetics?

I personally like the Polaris a lot (so much so I just bought a second one for a backup). That spear point and blade profile allow you to get in tight places with ease. Coupled with a thinner blade stock, it’s just about damn perfect for a blade that size.

That being said, I do want a TC, mainly because I like Tusker blade profile, but not as a replacement to a Polaris. @Pharmer has it right, in that you just can’t go wrong with either.

4. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Throw a Deer Creek in the mix!

Andster, wvtracker14, bowitis and 3 others like this.
  5. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its mainly due to my stupid hand, I have a narrow palm with long fingers. The Polaris, I have as I know all of Scotts knives vary due to the handmade nature of them leaves openings in my hand so no matter how hard I hold it I find it wants to spin or turn when carving into wood if that makes any sense at all. Over all I LOVE the blade but if the handle doesn't fit the user then how useful is a great blade? I find if the blade is a bit taller right where the scales start it fills my hand better over all. Its only about the first inch to inch and a half of the handle where my hand is left wishing for more to hold onto.

6. ugashooter

ugashooter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Right on. In that case, though I haven’t held them all, a TC, Deer Creek, or even Puukko should fill the hand a bit more, while still providing you one of the best tools around. Let us know what you end up going with!

7. Raoul

Raoul Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a Polaris and i feel the same, i'm waiting for a TC in a cpm steel (after a 7" cpm154 tusker if Scott see this :p )

8. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love the size of both the TC and Polaris. My Polaris is just about perfect as an EDC fixed blade but I certainly agree something a bit different could work.

Hard to go wrong with a Gossman! :D

9. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed completely with you cant go wrong with a Gossman. Since I got my Polaris I have retired most all of my other fixed blades with the exception of my F1s.

10. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As mentioned above the Deer creek is a good choice too if you want something larger and heavier. It's a great knife but I for whatever reason prefer a knife with a spine that's straight across the top. The deer creek has a dip in it. I prefer a 5" Tusker or a TC depending on how large you'd want to goover the deer creek myself. The new Kepharts are looking nice as well and I'm sure have a full handle. The puukkos I've had also had very full handles FWIW.

11. pommie

pommie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if you want height then the WSK small has to be added to the pot 5/32 A2 steel. one of the most comfortable handles i have ever held.

[​IMG]

12. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    TC is about as hand-filling a 4” blade as I’ve ever held. Polaris is my baby, though. Sounds like a TC would fit the bill for you though.

13. Murman

Murman Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:

Don't trade Just get a TC so you can try them side by side and see. I bet you can borrow one here. Then you will be better informed without risk of letting your polaris go.

14. Andster

Andster Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear an extra large glove. I consider the Deer Creeks handle to be the best fit for me. I suggested to Mr Gossman to make a version of the Tusker with a Deer Creek handle and he has a couple times. I’m always looking for one.

I have recently acquired a Tusker Companion and it definitely has a more filling handle for us big hand guys.

15. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Fallbrook Forge Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love my TC. One of the best knives I’ve ever used, and a big reason for that is the handle and blade design. They’re just right!

16. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I loved the blade, but the handles felt a bit small on the TC. I wear a size M to L glove and it didn't feel hand filling. The CFK is very hand filling and I think the same blade length, maybe slightly longer. I have't been able to play with a Gossman Puukko yet but I want to.

We really need to make a post with the general specs of each model to help people figure out stuff... even from pictures it's kinda hard to tell.

17. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's not a bad idea to give a rough idea of the handle sizes, even though they are vary if we have 15 different Polaris (just a random number thrown out) handles measured we can establish a pretty good idea of where they will be at.

S.Gossman likes this.
  18. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Hand crafted is hand crafted but yeah you can hopefully get a good idea.

S.Gossman and PatrickKnight like this.
  19. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That was surprising to me as I wear a L/XL glove and the TC handle really fills my hand. I also have a CFK and I just compared the two and found that the radius at the palm swell is significantly greater. The CFK is also more contoured. It’s actually a shorter version of the Deer Creek handle, which to me is pretty much the gold standard.

S.Gossman and PatrickKnight like this.
  20. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I like the CFK handle. With the TC its how thin that front cut out makes the handle.

[​IMG]

The top TC used to be mine. This isn't my picture. The handle height wise is fairly thin at the front pin.

21. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Polaris is straight perfection. Though adding a matching Python handled Tusker..
    IMG_5174.JPG

ArmyMacE, M.Hatfield, Vanitas and 4 others like this.
  22. stanley_white

stanley_white Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Me want!

-Stan

23. pommie

pommie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    from my understanding there are only 5 to 10 of these out there and this one is the most comfortable handle that i have on a knife.