Polk Knives Batch in CPM 3V steel

Discussion in 'Vendor-Hobbyist Classifieds' started by gdpolk, Sep 16, 2018.

1. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    This batch has Woodsman and Small Game Hunter models. You can see more of my work on my brand new Instagram page here if so inclined: https://www.instagram.com/g_polk_knives/

I'm a hobbyist knife maker in Arkansas. I take whatever funds from my shop that doesn't go to tooling/materials and donate them to St. Judes. I just enjoy the craft and working with my hands. If you would like to chat about any of these just PM me your telephone number and I'll be happy to call you back sometime.

Woodsman:
    This knife is designed to serve as the ideal, general-purpose outdoorsman's knife. It is my most versatile knife design. The blade profile has a large, gentle sweep along the belly to work well in food preparation and cleaning game animals. The blade is given a distal taper to improve precision and slicing along the tip and strength closer to the handle. In order to reduce weight, the tang of the knife is skeletonized to the maximum amount possible without sacrificing durability. The handle geometry is optimized to be comfortable and secure in a saber, modified saber, reverse, and choked up grips. The butt of the handle is rounded to allow for a comfortable area to strike with the palm of your hand when stabbing or creating split wood fires. The size and contours of the handle should allow a loose, yet powerful, grip with no sharp corners or hot spots to reduce hand fatigue over extended periods of heavy use.

Specifications:
    Overall Length: 9"
    Blade Length: 4.125" with distal taper and skeletonized tang
    Height: 1.25"

Small Game Hunter:
    This knife is designed to excel at skinning and quartering animals. Its size and proportions are made for those who like to maintain controlled cuts through the flesh and keep every bit of meat possible. The geometry of the blade is optimized to work well in small game, while still being large enough to be efficient in medium game. The handle is optimal for use in a modified saber grip with the thumb along the side and in a choked up grip with the index finger along the spine. The handle profile is left thin with minimal contouring to allow it to fit in a smaller grip as well as to provide increased feedback about the knife's position while in the chest cavity of medium sized game such as deer or pigs. The spine of the knife is squared with a slightly rounded/broken edge to allow for tactile feedback without risk of tearing your disposable gloves when cleaning game animals.

Knife Specs:
    1/10" CPM 3V
    7.5" overall length
    3.25" blade length with slight distal taper

All of my leathercraft is done with some thick, A-grade Harmon Oak leather that I hand select in Springfield Leather. It takes me a day to drive up there and sort hides, but the quality is worth it in my opinion. They are all hand stitched with a saddle stitch and double sealed with finish. They should last a lifetime.

Shipping is a flat rate of $15/knife anywhere in the US with insurance via USPS Priority. I can accept payments via cash, USPS money order, PayPal, or cards via Square.

1) Woodsman with impala jigged buffalo horn, white and black liners, hidden carbon fiber pins, and carbon fiber lanyard tube. This comes with a matching, custom fit, black leather sheath with full coverage tooling. Pricing for this one is $410.
    2) Woodsman with stabilized fiddleback Turkish walnut that I had shipped in from Istanbul, a large loveless bolt, a matching mosaic lanyard tube, and OD green and black liners. This one comes with a custom fit, black leather sheath with border tooling. Pricing on this one is $455.
    3) Woodsman with black canvas bolster and Shadetree custom's Evergreen micarta, white spacers, black liners, and carbon fiber pins/lanyard tube. This one has a black leather sheath with border tooling. Pricing on this one is $425.
    4) Woodsman with stabilized rosewood burl over white G10 liners with tapered tang, loveless bolt, and matching mosaic lanyard tube. This knife comes with a custom fit, custom color matched sheath with two pannel (front and back) double pointed basketweave tooling pattern. Pricing is $505.
    5) Small Game Hunter with stabilized rosewood burl over white liners with brass pins. This one comes with a custom fit two toned mahogany sheath with black welt/edges/shadow line and basketweave tooling plus a removable dangler loop. Pricing on this one is $380.
    6) Small Game Hunter with stabilized buckeye burl over orange G10 liners with carbon fiber pins. This one comes with a custom fit black sheath with the double pointed basket weave tooling on it. Pricing on this one is $370.
    7) Small Game Hunter with Shadetree Customs Drunken Coffee Bag micarta scales over tan and black liners with natural micarta pins. This one comes with a kydex sheath and TekLock hardware that can be ran inverted, vertical, horizontal, or canted for $265.
    8) Nessmuck skinner with stabilized historic curly walnut over hunter green G10 liners. This is my personal knife. I recently made a trip to Alaska with this knife but it remained unused while there and is in new condition. I don't really want to sell it but I can if someone wants it so it is priced a bit higher than I typically would for this model. This is my last example of my Nessmuck pattern that I have on hand, though I can make some more as needed. It will come with a LEFT HAND sheath with full coverage tooling. I did this so I could wear a firearm on my right side and have a belt knife on my left. $650 for this one.

I have 3 remaining Woodsman blanks heat treated and ready for handles; base price with micarta handles and simple hardware for these are $325. I have one remaining Small Game Hunter blank heat treated and ready for handles; the base price with micarta handles and simple hardware for this model is $250. I can take orders for any of these blanks in handle materials of your choice but I may get bored and finish them out too. Please allow time for sheath work to be completed. I do all of my work by hand. It takes a little time to get through leather work properly.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan, stillscout and 8 others like this.
  2. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    1) Woodsman with impala jigged buffalo horn, white and black liners, hidden carbon fiber pins, and carbon fiber lanyard tube. This comes with a matching, custom fit, black leather sheath with full coverage tooling. Pricing for this one is $410.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan, the_dude and 2 others like this.
  3. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    2) Woodsman with stabilized fiddleback Turkish walnut that I had shipped in from Istanbul, a large loveless bolt, a matching mosaic lanyard tube, and OD green and black liners. This one comes with a custom fit, black leather sheath with border tooling. Pricing on this one is $455.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan, Kona9 and 3 others like this.
  4. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    3) Woodsman with black canvas bolster and Shadetree custom's Evergreen micarta, white spacers, black liners, and carbon fiber pins/lanyard tube. This one has a black leather sheath with border tooling. Pricing on this one is $425.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan, colter and 2 others like this.
  5. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    4) Woodsman with stabilized rosewood burl over white G10 liners with tapered tang, loveless bolt, and matching mosaic lanyard tube. This knife comes with a custom fit, custom color matched sheath with two pannel (front and back) double pointed basketweave tooling pattern. Pricing is $505.

Attached Files:

6. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    5) Small Game Hunter with stabilized rosewood burl over white liners with brass pins. This one comes with a custom fit two toned mahogany sheath with black welt/edges/shadow line and basketweave tooling plus a removable dangler loop. Pricing on this one is $380.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan and M.Hatfield like this.
  7. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    6) Small Game Hunter with stabilized buckeye burl over orange G10 liners with carbon fiber pins. This one comes with a custom fit black sheath with the double pointed basket weave tooling on it. Pricing on this one is $370.

Attached Files:

8. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    7) Small Game Hunter with Shadetree Customs Drunken Coffee Bag micarta scales over tan and black liners with natural micarta pins. This one comes with a kydex sheath and TekLock hardware that can be ran inverted, vertical, horizontal, or canted for $265.

Attached Files:

9. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    8) Nessmuck skinner with stabilized historic curly walnut over hunter green G10 liners. This is my personal knife. I recently made a trip to Alaska with this knife but it remained unused while there and is in new condition. I don't really want to sell it but I can if someone wants it so it is priced a bit higher than I typically would for this model. This is my last example of my Nessmuck pattern that I have on hand, though I can make some more as needed. It will come with a LEFT HAND sheath with full coverage tooling. I did this so I could wear a firearm on my right side and have a belt knife on my left. $650 for this one.

Attached Files:

rwfred, Quinlan, Kraken and 4 others like this.
  10. Ernst christian Berg

Ernst christian Berg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lovely:dblthumb: what beauties:)

Quinlan, gdpolk and M.Hatfield like this.
  11. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You do beautiful work! Gorgeous leather work.

12. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your knives and sheaths are looking really nice there! Good to see your shop up and running!

Quinlan, M.Hatfield and gdpolk like this.
  13. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your compliments. I do the best that I can with each knife and sheath. The tooled leather is quite a labor of love but I think it makes the overall package much nicer. I just like tinkering in the garage and working with my hands in the afternoons. Being able to donate some funds to the kids out at St. Judes is also nice. I've donated to them since I was in high school a few times a year and have done a couple sells/auctions here on BCUSA to benefit them a while back. Now I just use my hobby to make them a little funding; they do good work there.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31 <-- This quote is the reason that St. Judes gets my profits. I cannot afford to make knives and give them away as my family has needs too and this is a very expensive hobby. However, I CAN enjoy doing what I do as a hobby and use that down time to make a positive impact in the world that is greater than just supplying someone with a quality knife.

rwfred, Quinlan, Stringer and 6 others like this.
  14. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I especially enjoy that Small Game Hunter. There is something about the size and shape of that one..... looks like it would melt into my hand. :)

Quinlan and gdpolk like this.
  15. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Order you one up. I have the ones listed here and one more blank left that I can handle in whatever you prefer. This model is my most popular one locally. It accounts for about 40-50% of all of my sells. It’s my go-to skinner. I should make a YouTube on this model sometime to walk through the design.

16. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I will certainly consider it. I have several more pieces of gear to sell before I finalize any more cutlery purchases. ;)

Have to make room first of course. :)

Quinlan likes this.
  17. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I understand. Let me know if/when your ready.

Quinlan and M.Hatfield like this.
  18. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I’ve had a few trade offers. While I am open to trades I will likely be kind of picky about what I am willing to take in on trade.

Tooling and/or materials for the shop are always on the table for me IF it is stuff that I can use and would buy anyway. The only piece of gear that I’m really looking at for now would be an Exo 2000 or Mystery Ranch Cabinet pack to use as a deep hunting pack that can haul a stand and gear in plus meat out. Right now I’m two-tripping it when I make kills and would like the option for an efficient way to do it all at once. I have a few stand sites over a mile deep: while they are productive for my family they are not always the most convenient places to harvest from.

Quinlan, SmilinJoe and M.Hatfield like this.
  19. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Beautiful designs and execution. 3v too :32:

And to top it off with $$$ going to St Judes is beyond awesome. :dblthumb:

20. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I handled this one last weekend. I saw the rest of them, but really liked this one! I have one of his blades in 3V that will be getting a work out this fall. You won't be disappointed!

21. gdpolk

gdpolk Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    bump

Quinlan likes this.