Pondering the “Ultimate” squirrel gun...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Donald Devall, Aug 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM.

1. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    As many of you guys know, I love to squirrel hunt. It’s my absolute favorite thing to do in the woods.
    Now of course there is no such thing as the “ultimate” anything. Needs and tastes vary greatly. But I’m dreaming and thinking. :D

I had recently bought a CZ455 varmint, which was nice, but turned around and sold it due to the financial restructuring we are working on at the moment.

For this year I’ll be using s stock 10-22 carbine and my trusted old Romanian m69, but, being someone who loves to research my next purchase, even if that purchase is a couple years away, I’ve been looking at what my “perfect” squirrel slayer will be. Now I’m not saying “price is no object” because it always is. I wouldn’t want to go for a 3000 dollar anschutz plus the cost of barrel threading and everything.

I’ve decided that I definitely want quiet. That means I’ll need a good suppressor for .22lr, or an airgun with a good moderator.

One option is a modded CZ 455. The CZ rifles are fantastic for the money. But to get the “perfect” rifle, I’d be buying a 455 American, fitting it with a new 16 inch barrel (or having the factory one shortened), new trigger, and having it properly bedded. This should result in a very accurate, very attractive, decently lightweight and nice handling rifle. Best guess is this being about 1500-1800 all done up including suppressor.

EDIT: actually there is a synthetic suppressor ready version. That would eliminate the need for a new barrel and drop the price to about 1200 or so.

EDIT EDIT: there’s also a new integrally suppressed barrel direct from CZ. Hmm.

Integrally suppressed 455:

[​IMG]

Another is a good PCP airgun. This is one of those things that I can’t convince myself is practical. However, I love the idea of them, and can’t stop researching them. The pros of this route are being super quiet, and the skirted pellets bleed energy rapidly, practically eliminating concerns about a missed shot coming back down to earth some distance away retaining dangerous velocity. I’d also be able to practice in my back yard!!! Unfortunately the upper end rifles capable of consistently offering MOA accuracy (.5 inch at 50 yards), as well as being reasonably light and compact, aren’t cheap. There’s the Taipan Veteran (1300ish) the FX impact (2000ish), the Edgun Leshiy (1400ish), and the WAR Warp (2400ish). Then the cost of a scuba tank and fill lines have to be considered. Tanks seems to be another 2-600 for full sized tanks. Also, I call them “reasonably” lightweight because they usually end up near 10lbs ready to go except the Leshiy. And I assume handle like logs because of the necessary weird shapes with the air tanks.

FX Impact:

[​IMG]

Taipan Veteran:

[​IMG]

Edgun Leshiy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WAR WARP:

[​IMG]

Another rimfire option is a Kidd 22 rifle. They’re very accurate guns with excellent triggers and decent looks. The issue I have there is that semi auto platforms aren’t really my thing, and aren’t the best for rediculously quiet suppressed shooting. These would be about 1900-2000 including the suppressor.

[​IMG]

Then there’s the Volquartsen Summit. Essentially a toggle action 10-22. This gives you all the modularity and aftermarket support of a 10-22 with the suppressor friendly and very slick toggle action.

[​IMG]

And let’s not forget the Vudoo gunworks V22. The complete rifles are about $2300. They’re kind of an updated 40x, and fit rem700 stocks and triggers. Supposedly obscenely accurate guns.

[​IMG]

Finally, there’s my favorite idea so far. A threaded 16 inch match barrel for my TC contender. A contender is very short for the barrel length, as the action takes up practically no length. A bolt or semi with the same barrel length will be about 6 inches longer over all due to the action. It can be taken down and put in a very small case or bag for travel, should weigh about 4 lbs before adding a scope, and be reasonably accurate once tuned. Cost for this one would be about 12-1500 including the suppressor and upgrade parts from mike Bellm.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Im enjoying researching the possibilities. I know the .22lr is the most practical option, but I just can’t quit looking at the high end PCP guns.

Bigghoss, SmilinJoe, svh and 9 others like this.
  2. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favorite squirrel fun is my dad’s old recurve with judo tipped arrows. Super quiet. Accuracy ... so-so. ;)

Good luck on your quest, I’m sure you’ll get great suggestions. For what it’s worth, I’m not a fan of integrally suppressed firearms. While cool, I’m not to a point where I could have or afford multiple suppressors, so A .22 suppressor would go further than A suppressed rifle. I’d go for the TC contender. I love those in .22, I just don’t hunt squirrel with them.

3. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    IF you can find a CZ 452 American with the 16" barrel that is factory threaded it makes a very light compact package....and it is very accurate.

I have one with a Tactical Solutions AXIOM suppressor and it is my go-to .22.....

Bob

central joe and Donald Devall like this.
  4. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s my thought as well. For the same reason I’m considering looking into the multi caliber suppressors. I know there are a few that can do 9mm down to .22 and such.

I was big into trad archery at one point. The day I finally hit a squirrel with a blunt after roughly 3.7 million attempts, only to watch him fall out of the tree, hit the ground, and scurry right back up the tree, kinda killed that for me.

Maybe when I get older and patienter. :rolleyes:

riverjoe, central joe and GoKartz like this.
  5. mtngunr

mtngunr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Depends on how good you are now, how well you can see them. A match chambered bolt gun will be something capable of 1/2" 10 shot groups at 50yds, the hybrid chambers 3/4" at 50yds same 10 shots, and inch at 50 with most auto chamberings or even wider dispersion with many off the rack.

Hybrid chambers in autos foul them enough and quickly as to stop them from running.

The match chambered barrel can be set back a couple of threads after top accuracy lost, and chamber recut and still be a 3/4" gun when bore is tired. Step up also the other chamberings by at least 1/4" when recutting whatever chamber they have...

All depends on what you want. I vote single shot or bolt gun for true precision accuracy.

Do I have my 52 or Anschutz or etc anymore? No, I have a 1976 Ruger 10/22 with later Ruger stainless barrel, Tech Sights, and and older nicer folding stainless Butler Creek stock, in the bedroom, muzzle of loaded gun sticking out of a pack.

alukban and central joe like this.
  6. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Blunts will do that. If you ever get back into it, judo tips save a lot of that frustration, while still not getting stuck in trees.

central joe likes this.
  7. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My vote is for the kidd 10/22 but I’m a 10/22 nerd. That’s one of my dream guns

central joe likes this.
  8. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    F560083C-E1D9-4596-9824-20F651BAC191.jpeg Here is one of my squirrel guns. It’s a Stevens 44 built before 1894. The barrel was a replacement with a heavy bull profile. It shoots a gnat’s ass at 50.

Have you considered the Ruger American Rimfire? I think they have a threaded muzzle.

9. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got a rebate and a sale price this past Christmas. I think I paid sub$20o for a suppressor ready Savage. I put a Boyd stick and vortex scope on it and I’m still less that $400 I think. It is very very accurate with CCI SV ammo. At 50 yards it’s stupid accurate.

I’m bought it for Alaska. Hunting grouse in the bad weather. It’s gonna be effect. It’s a tool for me at this point.

central joe likes this.
  10. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was able to take a look & handle the " Ruger Precision Rimfire .22 Lr Rifle " this weekend..:33:

It was really nice & allll the reviews have been very positive.
    https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

" IF " , I was looking for another .22 lr Rifle .. I would seriously consider this one :3:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 1:14 PM
  11. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Donald Devall

I find that doing the research and checking all options is just as much fun as shooting the gun you finally decide on. Which of course leads to the next search because there's an anti-climax when the goal is accomplished.

As to "the options". Everyone has their dream gun in the back of their mind. I already own the perfect squirrel slayer. It meets most of your requirements. Light, accurate and quiet. And it set me back about $20 back in the 70's.

A Stevens 15-A Shooting Flobert Caps or CB shorts it's even quieter than a suppressed .22lr. The squirrel is just as dead with a $20 tool as with a $2000.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck with the search, and happy hunting!! :dblthumb:

-John

12. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always thought the best would be a single shot bolt action with a suppressor.

I have a CZ 455 American with factory threaded 16" barrel with Leupold 2x7 and a can sitting about 10' away. I'll try to get a picture in the next few days. If I wasn't staying with family I'd show you how it shoots.

13. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I want one, but suppressed. :)

slysir, central joe and GoKartz like this.
  14. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    As you say DD, different things to different folks...

I grew up squirrel hunting with my grandfather. its near and dear and something I say I will do more of every year and don't seem to get it together. Back in those days it was all shotgun. He liked his sweet 16 Browning and Parker (Also a 16) and that all he used. I was more a 22 hunter. When I was old enough I used a 22, early days what dad had like all of us. When I could buy better, I bought a Contender with a 21" match barrel and topped it with a Leupold VXII 2x7 Rimfire. WOW was that bugger accurate!! I built a number of 10-22 rifles. Most all where very accurate, but that lil Contender was where its at for me!
    The one gun I really thought would be "THE BEST" for squirrels was a Savage 22/410. it took me many, many years to have my own. Even then I had to "bite the bullet" and overpay gun broker prices to get it. I paid $500 some 17-18 years ago, but it is a real clean rifle that actually has about 50-60% case hardening visible. (Incase ya done know, thats a BIG rarity for these "pot" guns of the 30-50's) Its a great shooter, but tiny open sites only. I super lucky that the soldered barrels regulate nearly 100% @ 50 yards.

I have never owned a silencer. I have shot them many times. If they where legal to hunt with here in CT I would have one as soon as my paperwork cleared! But I cannot so I do not.

Thanks for the memory and best of luck on your journey to squirrel rifle perfection.

CW

EDIT: Forgot to speak to the air rifle side!

I have two I would consider candidates and YES they would make a excellent choice too!

First was a Benjamin Discovery 22. I was lucky to find a used slicked up factory gun. This one was built (re built) by Tim @ MAC1 Air rifles in California. Its a real shooter too! EASILY clover leafing at 25 yards and mostly touching at 50 if your careful. I have a TKO lead dust collector attached and its pretty quiet.

The second is on the heavy side and a bunch bulkier. But its a shooter and brings some big power to the table is needed. That's my Benjamin Marauder in 25. The M-Rod as its called is a integrally suppressed barrel made by Lothar Walther and shoots to his excellent reputation no doubt clover leafing at 50 yards regularly.

BOTH of these (I recommend the Disco) are had for far less than the 1G + numbers your quoting.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 6:50 AM
    jstert, GoKartz and central joe like this.
  15. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My prophet :35:
    Or to quote Chief Ten Bears: "There is iron in your words."

OP, I am a bit befuddled at you wanting to get rid of your current CZ for financial reasons, but are looking at spending $2000~ to replace it :33:
    Maybe you can simply modify what you already have as your budget allows. Two words; Cee Zee :) You've already got a good squirrel getter.
    Have a good gunsmith cut and thread the barrel and glass pillar bed the rifle. Polish the trigger sear interface with a Cratex stick. You can't beat a bolt action for being quiet suppressed. It's much quieter than a shrouded pellet gun.

But if you are simply wanting a different gun, that's cool, too.

GoKartz, slysir, central joe and 2 others like this.
  16. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:

Yea that does look a bit odd. Basically I’m looking at a few years down the road when we are debt free and much more stable. I am however considering going and getting my CZ back from the shop it’s consigned at if it doesn’t sell before hunting season.

PAcanis and central joe like this.
  17. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got rid of a CZ once. I still regret it.
    I didn't realize it at the time, but I had hit the "CZ stock lottery". I've never seen a striped stock like that again, but then most sellers of CZ rifles are online and use stock pics. They won't even send you a picture of the stock if you call up and ask nicely.
    So there was seller's remorse.

I wouldn't want you to feel the same way a year from now and think, Man, I should have kept that one.

Donald Devall and GoKartz like this.
  18. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Holy crap those are some great choices, glad I don't have to choose from that lineup! Good luck!

Donald Devall likes this.
  19. mtngunr

mtngunr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same here, I have a first year (1934) Winchester 67 with 27" barrel, 5lbs with full adult length stock, and as quiet as most suppressed rimfires as I have been around, the high velocity shorts are deadly and near air rifle quiet.

Never NEVER sell that one. With long thin wood and barrel, can hold front end of gun with maglight as well, the target is illuminated and spill-over lights up the bead way out yonder. Night shooting more akin to reaching out and touching with a gold tipped gun wand when varmints being a problem. God bless John Browning.

Donald Devall and slysir like this.
  20. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Stevens 15-A is a cheaper clone of the Winchester 67. The Winchester is sweet, they had a lot nicer wood, but still an entry level rifle with some stamped out parts!! :dblthumb:

I always keep a sharp eye out for those old single shots when visiting gun stores and pawn shops, but they were working guns and most often a boys first rifle. Finding one in decent shape without the barrel being shot out or rusted is getting more difficult.

-John

Donald Devall and alukban like this.
  21. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    You remind me I have something similar... Its a long barreled Springfield 84C. Its a cheap bolt gun that can shoot as well as any rim fire I have costing 100 times as much. (I paid 15$ for this rifle some 25-30 years ago) Couple years back I bought a Williams peep at a gun show as it looked like I could fit it top the gun. It turned out it was the correct model! I have a Lyman Globe attached out front, It is a ol favorite.

The stock was in terrible condition with some rot and much abuse. I filled and sanded smoothed but it needed paint not oil as it looked so bad. The steel was rusted almost everywhere (but the bore) BUT it almost all removed without a trace! MINOR pitting at the muzzle. A few coats of bed coating paint from the hardware store and it looks like a modern synthetic stock. The trigger is very crisp and clean breaking too! VERY surprising for a cheapo rifle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeds shorts longs and long rifles. Shoots CB
    s very quietly. Its been my garden enforcer more times than I can remember. I wouldn't consider it my ultimate, but if limited to iron sites I would not be too handicapped!

One more thing, couple months back I ran across a 410 bolt shotgun that was this ones twin... so I bought that too! (99$ OTD)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sanded and gave the stock the same Rustolium bed liner spray.

CW

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM
  22. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my .308 bolt gun with irons for squirrels.

I download it to hot .38 Special specs and it is lighter, handier, and quieter than any of my other rimfire rifles at the same velocity. It hits them like a hammer and they get ripped off the tree. Body shots are acceptable with this tool.

I am forcing myself to still use irons because it requires ME to get better and not the tool, to get quieter and closer - actually hunt more rather than snipe them. I love to also hunt them with a handgun but I am not good enough to have the proper stats. Optics will be mandated by my failing vision soon enough and I switch back to them in the late season when the leafery has gone and their “spook radius” has increased.

Dang but I need to get out to more to feed my soul.

FWIW

[​IMG]

23. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The quest/obsession to select a new hunting gun is definitely something I can relate to.

I spent half this summer fixated on getting a new 410 for rabbit hunting. Not that the other 9 shotguns I have don't work, I just wanted a new 410. :dblthumb:

Grouse870, slysir, alukban and 4 others like this.
  24. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    If quiet is the goal, .22 CB Longs are quiet out of a long barrel without resorting to a can. I've used them out the window for urban varmint control without upsetting the neighbors.

I've shot roundballs from a 30-30, but 35 yards is about the limit for them to be headshot accurate for squirrels. Lightweight conicals can be loaded similarly and still headshot accurate beyond 50 yards.

If it were me putting north of $1500 in a small game gun, it would be a .36cal flintlock.

25. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    CZ 455 .22
    16" bbl (factory), Leupold 2x7, Liberty Kodiak Suppressor

20180814_102439.jpg
    20180814_102720.jpg 20180814_103002.jpg 20180814_103250.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    ezra45, Swampdog, slysir and 4 others like this.
  26. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    @slysir i actually have a 15. Inherited from my Pawpaw who bought it from somebody for a couple bucks more than a few years ago. I drug it out and cleaned it up but didn’t get a chance to shoot it or take pics before work got in the way. I’ll get into that when I get home.

@62flint, my state doesn’t allow for centerfires for small game. Otherwise a Contender chambered for something wonderfully small and wacky (always thought a .25 ACP would be fun) would be the way to go.

Flint guns are also being considered. One year I hunted with a very badly built .38 percussion gun. I only killed 7 squirrels that year but oh my the fun.

An iron fitted southern mountain rifle with a 42 inch swamped barrel and a Jim Chambers tuned lock and double triggers in 32 or 36 makes me drool just thinking about it.

Sadly, other than TVM, I don’t know how one would have such a gun built without a year or two wait time and a price tag north of 3k...

slysir, Cwlongshot and alukban like this.
  27. mtngunr

mtngunr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The CB Longs are ok, but, really are inconsistant compared to LRs or Shorts, and sights take a real adjustment to connect on even closer targets. I have used them, targeted them extensively, and really just could not trust them to hit where aimed and get a quick clean kill, and them normally used where that is what you need and want, no commotion. Standard Shorts far more consistant due to less airspace and powder laying most anywhere in case, even if thumped while upright unless shooting skyward.

28. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to get a lightweight, single shot .22 for squirrel and rabbit for backpack hunting. The Chiappa little badger has no interest for me. Something along the lines of a Marlin model 100.

29. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    They make a little badger with a wood stock as well.

30. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 10:42 PM
    Cwlongshot, PAcanis and Donald Devall like this.
  31. mtngunr

mtngunr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If it were me putting north of $1500 into a small game gun, the game would be made of miminum 1/2 oz of gold.

32. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's the one you should get. Be practical ;)

33. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wasp likes this.
  34. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    There was a guy, can't find him, that made Favorites a few years ago. Mostly from scratch, walnut stock, blued steel, awesome. They were over $1k but I wanted one so bad. If I find him I'll post about it.

35. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Btw, that winchester low wall I posted is supposedly still in production.

36. Mikem

Mikem Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    The Browning t-bolt, threaded with a synthetic stock, lightweight and accurate, very good trigger. Makes a click sound with sub sonic gemtech Ammo.

Henry makes a octagon long barrel threaded 22 lever action.

37. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Scout

Blog Posts:
  38. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hunted em with a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 growing up. I think a lightweight 16 or 20 over under would be perfect for em.
    We have bird feeders out back of the house and our Fox Squirrels are fat and stupid. I'm encouraging them as I look at them as meal on the table if need be.

I'd like to murder those dang Gray Squirrels. Bastards are reason we stopped growing tomatoes. They take bite out of each tomato. Dang things are fast and see me coming a mile away.

39. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Scout

Blog Posts:
    For squirrels I use a CZ452 American (16") with a Silencerco SS Sparrow.
    image.jpg

40. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The newer subsonic LR loads are much more accurate than the old cb's.

I've had excellent results @25 yards with Remington CeeBee and the CCI Quiet.

manitoulinbound likes this.
  41. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I believe the integrally suppressed Varmint barrel still requires the tax stamp, so that's a consideration.

42. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    If it has a suppressor, it requires a stamp.

Donald Devall and PAcanis like this.
  43. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to have an integrally suppressed 10-22. But I'm not yet willing to drop $200 on a suppressor, which I could essentially make for $0 from junk in my machine shop. :56:

My current favorite squirrel gun is a Baikal MP-94 "Sever" in .22LR over 20ga. Two shots is usually enough. The squirrels tend to be around the other side of the tree by then even if there were more than 2. :D

It's the bottom one. Aftermarket aperture sight and a Polychoke II.
    [​IMG]
    (The top ones are a 7.62x39/12ga+polychoke and a .308/12ga, if anyone was curious.)

44. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the 22lr/20ga Sever also. So glad I bought it.

It's my "mixed bag" bird/small game gun.

The rifle barrel is very accurate for me. I've shot sub 1" at 50 yards off the bench.

45. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    had a squirrel try to steal my 30-06 in a tree stand once guess that was his...........

46. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Another option is a threaded barrel for your 10/22 and adding a bolt lock to it.

Hard to go wrong with a CZ though.