Portable solar panel

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Edge308, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Edge308

Edge308 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just picked up a goal zero 14 watt solar panel. Looked like a good idea, it's weatherproof and should help keep battery backups charged to power outage or a couple days out hiking. Does anyone have one of these? Looking to also charge my HT HAM radio

Bitterroot Native and Mikewood like this.
  2. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, And they work great as long as the sun's out. Here in Oregon it can be hit or miss. I also have an earlier version, and the new panels are far more efficient. They should serve you well.

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  3. Chris keating

Chris keating Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like mine all bough I had to return my first one as the fire wire adapter broke. Re8 was very gracious and apparently it was a known problem and goal zero has since updated the item to fix the issue.

4. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I informally tested a few a while back. Not worth it for me backpacking in the Northeast which is nearly always under tree canopy, but they're good option to have for home power outages. The efficiency is quite good with direct/perpendicular sunlight (i.e., tracking the sun movement) but efficiency falls off sharply otherwise (angle to sun, outside 10am-2pm, through windows, clouds/weather/seasonal sun, tree branch shadowing, etc.). Might be good out West where it's difficult to find shade, but in the East good charging would require you to remain stationary in an open area and have good weather. For shorter trips around here, powerbanks will are certainly better for the weight and size, but either would be a pain to charge on a long thru-hike.

rk_az likes this.