Post Here When You Get Hurt - Ongoing First Aid Thread (may get graphic)

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by NWPrimate, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Hobbyist Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of the time I nearly cut the tip of my left middle finger off while wrestling with a 55 gallon drum of anti-freeze(heavier than oil).It was half hanging off and bleeding like mad.I had to get three or four stitches for that one.Back in those days ER's didnt give ya anything for the pain(ie Vicodin,Percocet).Same thing when I fell with a beer bottle that was in in my left palm(while drunk).Five stitches in the palm,nothing for the pain.In fact when I was shot in the right butt cheek from a .22 LR(go ahead laugh,everyone else did)when 15 yrs old,no pain killers though they did admit me and bandaged the two bullet holes.Thank God for two things,it didnt hit bone,and it wasn't a hollow point.But now that I have back pain,and need shots for it,the doctor prescribed Norco(.5 mg's of Vicodin,3 a day and they call you in to count them at random).So Saturday 7/20/18(yesterday)I cut the knuckle of my left index finger with a bow saw,those nasty big teeth that can do alot of damage.No stitches,I was my own ER doctor,just duct tape,and a Norco.LOL

Paulyseggs and NWPrimate like this.
  2. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    17EEC8A0-F3CF-4583-9E99-C79D2C06388F.jpeg

E9A68EC9-6D75-4D40-9BE3-684E826E8715.jpeg
    Pics - before and after sutures taken out.

Just an update on my little boo-boo. Went through the week fine, kept it wrapped and doing everything at home and work with it essentially in a splint and kept straight. All is good and I got my stitches out on Friday and felt great. Nothing more than a bandaid at that point. Saturday I left that off too. Turned out to be a big mistake.

Yesterday I’m in Walmart buying food for my upcoming trip. Whack the finger slightly on the cart. Wouldn’t have been and issue except that it hit just hard enough to force my finger to bend to pre-injury range. RIP, tore the cut back open. F&$@!!

Of course it starts bleeding all over the place. I grab it, quickly find a someone stocking shelves that I assumed to be an employee to ask for a paper towel and the nearest bathroom. He points and starts walking with me. As it’s at the other side of the store, and I’m still bleeding he tore open a pack of napkins in the paper aisle and gave it to me. Then tells me he’s a vendor and not an actual employee of the store. Lol.

So paid for my stuff, went home and wrapped it back up. So now it’s back to being kept completely straight and wrapped to keep it that way. And I’m still pissed that I feel like I’m back to square one.

3. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really sorry to hear that. Are you splinting it at night when you sleep? I have always had problems with hand injuries getting damaged again when I'm asleep. There's nothing like waking up in pain realizing that you just bent your fingers and busted it open again. :mad:

Paulyseggs and HeadyBrew like this.
  4. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    yeah, i like to get such a wound to the air as soon as possible, BUT a wound like that stays tender for so long. i put an oversized band-aid on with an 1/8th inch of air/light underneath the pad. that leaves a little cushion in case of a ding, and ALSO reminds me to be aware of the wound ...

5. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had been keeping it wrapped at night, yes. Saturday morning was the first I’d not had any sort of bandage on it. And sure enough it only took me a few hours to mess it all up. Live and learn I guess. Will just have to keep it somewhat immobile at that knuckle for a while longer. I think I’ll just let it heal then start stretching the skin after the fact rather than risk it keep opening up on me. Last thing I want is it getting infected or other complications because I keep opening it up trying to use it too soon.

6. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did this yesterday while heat treating a blade. I use a long pair of vise grips as my tongs. After heat treating I laid my "tongs" down on my vise. I got busy doing something else and reached over to move them because I wanted to use the vise. I picked them up by the business end. It was funny because when I grabbed them it didn`t feel hot. It took a couple of seconds before my brain registered hey drop that.

20180730_134515-1.jpg

7. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not a bushcraft injury but got me thinking. Wifey was gardening and found a piece of glass. If it were me I would have taped it, but I wanted hers to look good. They soaked it in chlorohexidine. doctor said you can buy it over the counter. I will be adding that to my supplies. 20180801_070452.jpg

8. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is not a bushcraft injury, but it will go to show that things happen in a split-second and sometimes for no expected reason. I am a locksmith, and needed to change out the cylinder in a lever. Sargent levers need to be hogged out a bit to accept the standard replacement cyls. Usually, one step on a step-drill is the ticket. This time, I couldn't find my step-drill and used a 1/2" bit rotated around to hog it out. Wrong tool, wrong process...I know. In a flash, the drill popped up out of the drill and directly into my arm. Basically went in laterally about 1/2" deep and to the side. Still have no idea how or why. I grabbed it and put pressure on it immediately without looking, and grabbed my paper towels and duct tape (any carpenter out there knows exactly what I'm talking about). When I saw that there wasn't too much bleeding, I took a peek. My first thought was "why is there wood shavings in there, when I was working on metal?" It was the yellow fat all chewed up. I called my boss, since the job wasn't done and the place wasn't secure, and wrapped it up. I actually finished most of the job before he got there, and then headed to the doc-in-a-box clinic to get stitched up. It is on the inside of the arm, just below the elbow, and the doc said I just barely missed a big vein (which, I guess, is better that just missing a big artery).

IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3554.JPG

Sorry for the gnarly pictures, but just remember -- AS CAREFUL AS YOU ARE AND AS CAREFUL AS YOU CAN BE, THINGS HAPPEN VERY VERY QUICKLY FOR NO REASON!

9. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't be sorry... we COME here for the gnarly pictures.

Hope you heal up quick dude... and thanks for sharing.

10. RILockGuy

RILockGuy Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Actually, that was last year. Healed up fine and left a nice pink wavy scar that only shows up in the summer when I get tan. I just wanted to relay that you can never ever get complacent about what you're doing. Even when you're careful, things happen.

rsnurkle and NWPrimate like this.
  11. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg A boy at work brought me this one. They went over to Chesterfield county for a little hog hunt ( knives and dogs). I had to work so I missed out. Anyways, hogs get in the thickest stuff around when the dogs are after them. If you slip,trip or loose your grip when you grab a boar.....he's coming to see you. They made a litter from 2 poles and some old feed bags, they poured listerine in the wounds till they could carry him out. Took a while till they could get to a Hospital from the swamp. The danger with a hog cut is usually infection, but this one danced all around his femoral artery. Wounds took a lot of staples. He is a lucky fellow and is on the mend now. Them boys play pretty rough over there, but this was a close one. They call him" Humpty Dumpty " now. We always carry a cut kit for the dogs with the listerine to flush the wounds, every bodies upgraded now.

12. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

He is lucky to be okay! WOW!

rsnurkle, NWPrimate and Paulyseggs like this.
  13. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dannng! Only time I ever came across a hog was bird hunting in France . Tore that dog up! Very similar style in wounds .
    We poked the intestines back .Wrapped it up with a shirt and carried the dog back.
    Nothing major was hit .A few stiches and the dog was right as rain .

rsnurkle, NWPrimate and M.Hatfield like this.
  14. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I done goofed..

100_1731.JPG

Hand slipped while cleaning a knife. Cut both fingers to the bone. The knuckle joint stopped the ring finger laceration. Bled like a stuck pig and some Primordial meat was sticking out of the middle finger flap.

I walked over to get my FAK and seen my camera so I grabbed it too for photos.

I applied some quick clot type material.

100_1732.JPG

Three dousings of the powder with applied pressure helped staunch the bleeding. I then applied two large bandaids to maintain pressure and closure of the wounds.

100_1734.JPG

In your face HULK! This stuff was Lou Ferrigno approved so I felt totally at ease even though a chunk of my finger was hanging off.

I was alone, so I waited for about 20 to 30 minutes to see if shock would set in. After that time lapsed I felt I was safe so I drove myself to get medical attention. I got the wound irrigated and stitched up. I recommend this product. It worked well.

This is the first time I've cut myself bad with a knife in about a decade. I was ticked that I somehow got careless and allowed the accident to happen. Hopefully I'll never have this issue again. Learn from my mistake and take your time working around sharp edged tools and stay focused while using them.

15. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Reminds me of the time Cro's Tracker started slipping out of his hand, and he closed his hand around it... cut several fingers and tendons, iirc...

Doesn't take much of a mental lapse to do something dumb (I've got my share of scars too.)

Hope you heal up quick.

rsnurkle, M.Hatfield, Jim L. and 2 others like this.
  16. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hated to "like" that @Primordial . Good thinking on the FAK. Also good thinking on the wait. It's suprising how easy it is to get shocky.

I've seen the insides of more people than I can count without issue. My own insides or leaks, that's another story.

(edited for use of illiterate fingers)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  17. Syntria

Syntria Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Spent most of the day on a rescue ranch on 40 acres. Got a few really nice primitive areas they are going to let me utilize in exchange for some volunteer time with the horses (because that's work?). Had me reviewing my first aid kit, and I realized I never shared this booboo on here. (about six months back)

I was trying to adjust my hammock straps without fully undoing them on a tree and slide my hand up against some bark. Some bark slide back into me.

[​IMG]

18. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Dang! Things under the nail are pretty painful.

My wife said your badass.

M.Hatfield, Wasp and Syntria like this.
  19. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to all for contributing to this thread... About 2 weeks ago I suffered a severe injury to my ability to get a good night's sleep... This thread gave me something to read while dealing with my injury. Be warned this is a pretty graphic photo of why I've been up all night...

20180922_012356.jpg

20. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    @Phisikos ohh wait. It only gets more fun with less sleep and a bit more expensive!

Congrats! Best things in my life

Phisikos and M.Hatfield like this.
  21. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    guys . since I learned how to make colloidal silver I use it on every thing, and it works on every thing .
    Being I make my own I use it as an antibacterial wash and dob it on pokes and cuts and burns and every single owey that I get .
    Internally I've used it in the event of botulism and other internal unknowns.
    I don't abuse it, but I'm not afraid of using it in place of a lot of other things i've used in the past .
    I make mine at a density of 40+ PPM ,and it seems to store indefinitely ,not temperature sensitive and has no flavor or smell or color .
    I add some to my stored drinking water just as a precaution . Bacteria cannot become immune to it.
    I rescued a kitten with distemper using colloidal silver , putting it in her drinking water and her eyes.
    I carry about 8.0z in my EDC bag and the means to make more if necessary .

Harper likes this.
  22. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I should make my own, we buy ours..

23. Caveman Cracker

Caveman Cracker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,
    here is a older 'Stupid' on my part ... LESSON:
    never hold your sharpening stone in one hand, knife in other, eyes on season finale of 'ALONE'
    6 stitches later...and I missed the finale, but caught up Netflix replay..
    IMG_20170428_082549.jpg IMG_20170428_082522.jpg

24. RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver Woodloafer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I learned a quick and bloody lesson about dull hatchets yesterday.
    Was using a friends hatchet to split fire wood and the dull blade ricocheted with a full swing into my leg right above my right knee cap. Luckily only the tip of the blade went into my leg. Left a one inch cut.
    37616FBB-7CB5-47CE-B44F-3AE4887ED17E.png AA484201-26AA-46DC-AB5F-8F50C524A1F5.png

25. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This happened exactly one week ago.
    D60C3D9F-AE66-4B66-A970-1C5973A210F7.jpeg
    F59E2471-1CEF-43FA-ABF1-98786521D293.jpeg
    B84DE796-C387-42B4-93A1-F19A565DFB86.jpeg
    9BA08AE5-A007-41CF-88B8-9904DC2EBDA1.jpeg
    I have to redress it once per day, sometimes twice. Looks like this with the stitches.
    292F97EF-D533-435D-BF01-3BE0D25371DB.jpeg
    E83EA3BB-4E4A-4F67-BD9F-9C979A1327DA.jpeg
    Cut a muscle and now I can’t move my thumb that much. Slight numbness. Didn’t cut a tendon though, nor any bones, so that’s good. Hurts a fair bit, especially since I haven’t been taking the pain meds they prescribed me. Vicodin scares me more than any pain ever could. I have, however, been taking ibuprofen, which helps a bit.

Buck 119 Special has a hell of a bite. Was carving and the knife slipped. Was applying pressure to the knife, but not as much as this wound would lead you to believe. I was fairly surprised about how bad it got me. Won’t be making that mistake ever again.

When it happened I immediately wrapped my hand with a medium-sized towel and a belt. I didn’t realize the extent of the injury and I thought I could tough it out. After the blood started coming through the towel I realized it was worse than I thought and I drove to the ER.

Several lessons were learned, but perhaps the most important one was about misjudgement. I wrongly estimated how deep the cut went, and I’m still upset about doing so. Remember folks, “better safe than sorry” is a good rule. If you aren’t 100% certain that you’re alright, seek help.

UAHiker, rsnurkle, Sandcut and 5 others like this.
  26. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Always remember your gloves haha 084A3D1A-AA6B-4A03-B058-32C38778E60E.jpeg

27. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Enzo
    You are going to feel that for a while.
    I am surprised it was not more complicated.

@Hillbilly stalker
    DAMN!
    I am really surprised he did not bust a femoral or damage his biscuits.
    Not to mention his guts stayed on the inside.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  28. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh I have a lot of things I can add to this thread... Not sure if that's a good thing...

Or is it weirder that I have pictures of a lot of my injuries...

I'll start digging...

Left foot, skinned my foot with a pressure hose...

I6 Pictures 302.JPG

Spoon carving...

I6 Pictures 2261.JPG

I6 Pictures 2262.JPG

Oh I have lots more...

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  29. ArmyMacE

Blog Posts:
    My newest one. Using a slice of bamboo to try to cut bamboo and something broke...

7E7D499E-0E91-4E33-9E53-96054E617775.jpeg

8AB59E97-D3E6-4825-A12A-DFAD859D1926.jpeg

Thanks,

Jarrod

30. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:

WHOA!!!!

That is a doozy! Hope it heals up quickly without much loss of function. See an orthopedist and adhere to your therapy once they tell you you can start to work it again.

31. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the well-wishes. Just got the stitches out.
    C8599377-E531-42B1-8BCC-B84F08F5DC56.jpeg

32. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to add this one
    D5682A21-B54A-4FE1-B1B3-65E9E13A1907.jpeg

33. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got burned at work last night. Was taking pictures anyway to track it, so I might as well post here.

10 minutes:
    IMG_20190226_225928.jpg

8 hours:
    IMG_20190227_074707.jpg

16 hours:
    IMG_20190227_173353.jpg

Sandcut, NWPrimate and Enzo like this.
  34. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Enzo
    That was looking pretty gnarly.
    Got a updated pic of the hand?

VanGo, Sandcut, NWPrimate and 2 others like this.
  35. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DAMN that looks really painful. I once had a burn that blistered, but it was minuscule compared to that. I’m definitely going to keep you in my prayers. Hope the pain subsides as soon as possible.

36. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do.
    3650B4D5-8202-4377-BD09-9C0ABE7C6A67.jpeg D5558693-DFC7-4A7C-A184-4591A4DD33A0.jpeg F7FAB5E1-8564-44B4-985A-00D07D811E3B.jpeg
    The cut still leaks stuff, but it’s closed up quite a bit. My index finger has limited movement and my thumb is the same. I have nerve damage on the base of my index finger, and it’s completely numb.

Edit: my thumb occasionally trembles and twtiches. Not sure why, as I haven’t asked the doctor. I’m assuming it’s because the muscle I cut into was a thumb-related one, but I’m not sure.

37. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    You sliced some minor nerves for sure.
    I imagine you really feel the cold in that area.

(Mine still bothers me almost 2 years later.)

I always like looking at injuries in various stages of healing.
    It can go so many ways.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Enzo, Sandcut and NWPrimate like this.
  38. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    been through plenty of those! in fact my wife and i were almost most of the night with our 3yr puking..... yeah fun times... some how we avoided it now and our oldest is 5.

39. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    be careful with those table saws folks! i just got grazed

[​IMG]

ArmyMacE, NWPrimate, Enzo and 2 others like this.
  40. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Right there with ya, big sis is 5 and the new guy just got to 6 months! I'd post up a new picture but I'll let this thread be for real injuries!

41. Logan Woods

Logan Woods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dang man, relatively speaking it's looking a lot better though!

42. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah it definitely is

43. Bdug

Bdug Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is one of those threads I hope I do not post in, but we all know its inevitable.

Enzo likes this.
  44. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It tore me out of the frame when my second wife left me and I couldn’t believe how much it hurt.

I got better.

And I upgraded.

Enzo likes this.
  45. ArmyMacE

Blog Posts:
    Today’s project...

84F3C4C1-14CC-4379-8B44-6E7C7CF7B209.jpeg

Not paying attention to the hot end of my bellows while re-wetting the sides of my burn bucket bowl...

2ABAD732-7050-4863-B8B1-2AB2A20245AC.jpeg

Thanks,

Jarrod

46. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. Careful when you shave, the only thing worse than a burn is a shaved-off burn welt.

NWPrimate and ArmyMacE like this.
  47. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not me, but a friend sent me this photo just now. Her brother bought a fancy new XD .40, and took it shooting. Went to clean it and this happened. Full on stupidity.
    Resized95.jpg

@Medic17 how about a self-inflicted GSW to help keep the subforum active :eek:

NWPrimate likes this.