I tried making fireweed (Chamaenerion angustifolium) cordage for the first time today. The process of removing the outer fibers was a litle more difficult than working with stinging nettles but not bad. It was surprisingly slimy though. While removing the fibers was a little bit more tedious than working with nettles, it yielded some really nice material. It split down along the entire length with ease and twisted together very nicely after drying for about an hour in the breeze. I didn't trim it at all and it still came out looking pretty. This is eight feet of two strand twist. Doubled over again into 4-ply. I put it through the bow drill test. It's only showing a little bit of wear. Thanks again @Pict for showing me the superiority of 4-ply cordage for bow drill. I really like this stuff. You don't need gloves to harvest it and it really twists together nicely. I wanted to try it on the fly today, but I'm going to experiment with giving more drying time and breaking down the fibers further. It looks like this plant is fairly widespread, so some of you might have it in your area.