Post your hollow handle survival knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Iz, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Huntinfool

Huntinfool Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is the damage on that particular knife?

Sent from His Majesty's iPhone using Crapatalk

2. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    5 bills even

3. Huntinfool

Huntinfool Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thx

Sent from His Majesty's iPhone using Crapatalk

XMP likes this.
  4. TAH

TAH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After many years of searching and waiting, I am thrilled to report that I finally acquired my “grail” hollow handle survival knife! The knife was made 30 years ago by custom knifemaker, Steve Allen, under the name Running River Knives in Riverside, Rhode Island. The knife is so rare that it isn't even listed in "The Survival Knife Reference Guide" by Douglas Berner, but I think it is one of the best designed survival knives ever created, yet very few people have ever heard of it. It is obvious that Steve intentionally did not follow the trend of sawteeth and oversized double guards that was so common and expected on knives during the 1980s hollow handle knife craze. Instead, I believe that Steve set out to build a practical cutting tool designed for a woodsman.

The Running River ‘Wilderness’ Knife, as I call it, has a robust, utilitarian, no non-sense appearance. The 7” x 1 ½” x ¼” Bowie clip blade is made of 440C stainless steel. The guard, handle, and buttcap are also stainless. The blade grind falls between flat and convex - leaning more towards flat. A one inch tang runs the full width of the handle and is machine fitted to tightly fit within the heavy steel tube. It is then threaded and epoxied for maximum strength. The lack of sawteeth on the spine is a preference of mine, as I have never found sawteeth to be useful for my needs and often question if they might compromise the blade’s strength in some situations.

One of my favorite features of the Running River knife is the short top guard that allows easy thumb placement on the spine for better blade control and cutting force. Double guards have always been a pet peeve of mine, as they restrict grip and are more suited for and associated with fighting knives. The generous handle length welcomes various grips without cramping the hand. At the bottom of the handle tube, there is a flat steel plate that creates a nicely finished “floor”. The oversized buttcap atheistically and functionally balances the knife and enhances the grip for chopping. The buttcap threads are cut deep and sharp, which explains its smooth operation. The guard edges are uniformly beveled and the lanyard hole is countersunk.

A high quality, Marbles brass compass is included in the handle, but not permanently installed in the buttcap. I much prefer this set up for the convenience of taking continuous bearings without the need to unscrew the buttcap each time and it allows the buttcap to remain in place, so the handle contents are not lost. Additionally, if the buttcap is used for pounding, a permanently installed compass risks being damaged and can be expensive to replace depending on its quality and availability.

The sheath is constructed of heavy saddle leather and incorporates two innovative design features that I have never seen before. First, the hone pocket is recessed into the sides of the front panel, so the stitching remains flat and less exposed. Second, the leg tie is threaded through the slots at the bottom of the hone pocket, then wrapped around the body of the sheath and leg holding it firmly in place. This method eliminates the use of a flimsy tab at the bottom of the sheath and works great for heavy knives that have a tendency to flop around. If the tie is removed, there is no evidence of a tie down attachment, which gives the sheath a clean look. On the back of the sheath, there is an optional high-ride belt loop with a quick release “pull-the-dot” snap.

Overall, it is evident that Steve took great pride in his work, because both knife and sheath are exceptionally well made, carefully thought out, and beautifully shaped and proportioned. Everything from grind lines to knurling to assembly to leatherwork is executed with precision. Yet, if I could use only one word to describe the knife, it would be SOLID. Its tank-like construction gives a real sense of confidence in its ability to perform and withstand hard use. After all these years of admiring the Running River knife in old magazine advertisements, it certainly exceeded my expectations. It’s hard to believe this knife flew under the radar and wasn’t more popular back in the glory days. Sadly, it was probably dismissed as just another “Rambo knife” and consequently soon passed into hollow handle survival knife history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. Ving

Ving Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just received a rare 1970s Parker Brothers Knife. Can anyone help me find out about it.

Attached Files:

Medicine maker, eahm and IAOutdoors like this.
  6. TAH

TAH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One of the more practical hollow handle knives ever designed... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoover77, eahm, stillscout and 5 others like this.
  7. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had this one for several years.
    IMG_3269.JPG IMG_3267.JPG IMG_3266.JPG IMG_3268.JPG

LarryB, Odd Fellow, Andster and 8 others like this.
  8. dogboy

dogboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I remember the Buckmaster from way, way back. How does that work with the spikes sticking back toward your hand??

9. rcwells

Blog Posts:
    It can be used as is actually, but depending on grip and knife angle, they can kinda get in the way. If you were to use this for regular knife duties they would be removed and stored until needed. They allow the knife to be used as an anchor of sorts for different tasks though I never have found a need for that. I have the short set installed and the longer set is there as well.

10. dogboy

dogboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did not notice there were two length. Interesting concept of use.
    Looks totally bad***, though.

Medicine maker and rcwells like this.
  11. Hoover77

Hoover77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0210.JPG Here's mine, Buckmaster 184. Purchased this around 27 years ago!

12. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still want one! Really lovin this thread guys.

rcwells likes this.
  13. dogboy

dogboy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I REALLY wanted one of those Buckmasters back in the day, even though I couldn't figure out the spikes. Not as much nowadays, but, like I said above, they're still totally bada**!

Primordial and rcwells like this.
  14. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I still cant believe U.S. companies used to actually make blades SO BLOODY STRONG you could grapple with them (maybe). And to be hollow handle to boot. This was way before I was even born to Im used to the black coat tacticool crap that is rarely tested. The maybe 2 times ive held this knife in person it felt like the epitome of strength and ideal craftsmanship.

15. rcwells

Blog Posts:
    If mine wasn't so pristine I'd consider actually using it, lol.
    I had the standard silver version too but sold it a few years back.
    Id like to find a good condition user and put it through the paces to see how well it performs and holds up to all around bushcrafty camp duties.

Medicine maker likes this.
  16. gene stoner

gene stoner Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    A cheap-o hollow handle from the early 80's and a cheap Marine Ka-bar knock off, also from the early 80's.

18. onehikes

onehikes Kayaking West Side of Vancouver Island

Blog Posts:
    I like the Chris Reeves, have several of the Blackie Collins designed S&W of the 70's but especially the Hackman Survival knife made in the Vietnam Era
    [​IMG]

Designed by Ken Warner and Pete Dickey; this rare knife was made during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Only a few thousand were made by Hackman with a 1/4" blade in Finland, with the majority produced by Garcia in Brazil with a 3/16" blade. The Hackman survival knife was intended for private sale to military personnel bound for Vietnam. The Randall Model 18 had made the hollow handle sawback popular with the troops, but Randall could not keep up with demand. Like the Randall this knife featured a watertight hollow handle and a massive 1/4" thick stainless steel blade.
    https://www.allaboutpocketknives.co...am-era-hackman-survival-knife-made-in-finland
    [​IMG]

19. S.Gossman

S.Gossman Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Another Buckmaster. This one is a first production run from 1984.
    Scott

buckmaster.jpg

Buckmaster1.jpg

20. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Bumping for goodness' sake!

IMG_20180418_152109.jpg

IMG_20180120_134111.jpg

IMG_20180701_120115.jpg

IMG_20181007_140350.jpg

I think we need a Hollow handle a go go thread to prove just how worthless and weak they really are.

21. DeathTakesLast

DeathTakesLast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Wall Robert Parrish Sunfish design OTW

Dysphoric Joy likes this.
  22. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    My latest addition for hollow handled knife, a Schrade SCHF2SM. I had a 1SM years ago that I liked everything about it but the handle. Just couldn't get used to that little finger notch thing just behind the guard, so I sold it. But the siren song has been strong with these. So I traded @87Burban for one he was getting rid of.

The first thing that I did was to try to overcome that finger notch thing. So, I cut some paracord, pulled out the guts, and whipped it on the handle to fill the void. Then I hit it with a light layer of Crazy Glue to keep it from sliding around over itself. It looked all "Bubba", but it accomplished its task quite well.

So then, then I needed to do something about the all steel handle being so darned cold during the winter. Bicycle inner tube worked wonders. Hard as hell to slip on over the handle, but no problem staying put once it was on.

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

I actually like the way it looks now. The handle feels great being all the same diameter!

So, let's see how she works. Spent some time changing the edge angle. The factory grind was WAY too obtuse. Spent part of the afternoon doing the first burn on Kni-Co Trekker tent stove. Had to process some wood for that. The 2SM batons and stab/splkts and feathers and notches like a champ.

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

i think I'm really gonna like this knife a whole lot!

Now to make a functional leather sheath worthy of a decent knife.

Fixedblade, LarryB, trentu and 8 others like this.
  23. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Sandcut I have the drop point version of the Schrade -- great knife for the money and underrated. But yes, the edge needs work. I convexed & steepened mine and it's way better.

Wait...you haven't shown us your hollow handle kit.

Primordial and Sandcut like this.
  24. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    That's because I'm being an indecisive ninny and can't make up my mind as to what and how much crap to squirrel away in that little space.

Maybe I'll test out just how waterproof the handle really is and fill it up with a good cognac. That way, when the S does HTF, I can kick back and drink a good snort of liquor with my pinkie out while the walls come tumbling down around me.

I bet you never saw THAT on The Walking Dead! I never saw Michonne drink with her pinkie out.

25. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Sandcut Not a bad idea on the cognac. You, know, it could be used as a fire starter and wound disinfectant as well.

Sandcut likes this.
  26. Dysphoric Joy

Dysphoric Joy Tracker

Blog Posts:
  27. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
  28. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Primordial likes this.
  29. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Enquiring minds want to know!

ExAF1N1 and Sandcut like this.
  30. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    238EB117-BBF3-418D-B200-BAFC305F4BD5.jpeg 4392ED4F-0A3B-468D-8E9E-D9C72BAF5B74.jpeg
    The knife is a Bill Sanders S4. The saw works great compared to the Apparo. This one I bought on the web used, in mint condition and it came with a cool tool roll in the handle. I don’t think it originally came with it, but could be wrong.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  31. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Frost Cutlery stainless I bought 16 years ago when these were the thing. Has a compass in the cap and a sharpening stone. I added a Ferro Rod with a fire cord lanyard and stuffed the handle with cotton balls. It spends its life tucked next to the seat in my pickup.

349F5CFA-907B-48A8-838A-483EA8634A09.jpeg

32. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Ya know, I hate to see respectable bushcrafters like yourself being taken advantage of by others who aren't so kind-hearted. As such, I'll trade you a lightly used Mora for this hollow handled monstrosity. No one apparently ever told you that hollow handled survival knives are worthless for bushcrafting and I don't want you to be teased.

33. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    0F694D7C-1342-436A-8668-9DF7F94C3028.jpeg Only knife I have with a hollow handle. No saw teeth though.

34. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    What a gratuitous act of kindness. Lol
    FYI, I seen a new one available if you did a quick search on the bay.

savage99nc and Sandcut like this.
  35. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thas' my baby! Purchased in mint condition in a pawn shop south of Cleveland (no sheath) together with a Tropical Model Martini-Henry rifle (577-.450) AND bayonet. for $100 for both, including sales tax. Happy day! In my research, I ended up with The Practical Book of Knives that has an article on the knife.

savage99nc likes this.
  36. PiterM

PiterM Scout

Blog Posts:
    Reeve... my modded Ubejane:

[​IMG]

37. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    This may be the only forum to go against the grain in such a form.

LarryB and BCWoodsman like this.
  38. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    67A4E1A5-0B1E-454E-888F-A16DBFD44AD6.png Which one of you guys is bidding up my new knife? Lol

39. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dibs if you ever sell her. Please and thank you. Love it!

PiterM likes this.
  40. BCWoodsman

BCWoodsman Wet Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So true! Most others are too busy listing all the reason you can't. Meanwhile, over here things are getting done with the tool in hand :dblthumb:

LarryB likes this.
  41. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Not me!

They wouldn't trade for my Mora either.

:D

Andster likes this.
  42. Andster

Andster Scout

Blog Posts:
    . I got beat last second.

Sandcut likes this.
  43. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And here I thought I didn't need any more sharps.

44. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    "need" ?

manitoulinbound likes this.
  45. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Looky what I found today!

IMG_0351.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

Even came with the last owner's survival kit. I think the matches are from the 80s.

IMG_0356.jpeg

But the best part was the asking price.

IMG_0355.jpeg

$24.95!!!!!!!! Can you believe it??!! I've been looking at the same knife at recent gun shows for a year for like $70.

IMG_0357.jpeg

Now I really gotta start working on my handle kits!

The store also had an unused, but previously owned Ontario ASEK for $50. Hadn't ever been sharpened. I really had to control myself to not walk out with both.

See, I DO have some level of self-control. :D

46. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice find!

field-expedient, ExAF1N1 and Sandcut like this.
  47. LarryB

LarryB Scout

Blog Posts:
    CheckThisOut.jpg Sharps.jpg This old boy has been with me for over 45 years and I've never had a complaint from it. Nice to see there are still some other hollow handle knives serving their masters on here.

What a great forum. Long live the hollow handle mans' knives boys, and thanks for sharing yours, with us all. :) lb

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  48. BigBladeKnives

BigBladeKnives Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  49. BigBladeKnives

BigBladeKnives Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    There are some of my HANDMADE HOLLOW HANDLE KNIVES... TOGETHER WITH MY HANDMADE GIL HIBBEN RAMBO 3 KNIFE... #99 OF 100!!

50. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    For the ever-lovin' love of Colonel Troutman!!!!!!!

It's the mother load of Rambo knives!

And do I read you correctly? Those are all real knives and not replicas? With, like, real steel and everything?

(Insert Homer Simpson salivating emoji here)