Post Your Old Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by LJHfrstr, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Schwert

Schwert Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have branded that unique mark in my thumb a few times..

2. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's how we know each other is in the club.

3. Early Man

Early Man Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh well, in that case I am covered ! I have the 'mark' LOL i was sort of hoping I could get out of here with out saying so :54:

4. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    That SVEA is no more (or less) classic than that Buck knife and Sierra cup. Ha. The SVEA is a great little chugger. Nothing else sounds like it.

central joe, Haggis and BalsamFur like this.
  5. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    You've got a good eye, Mr J. Those items plus the old percolator are four fifths of the "86 club"; five things I bought as a teen-ager in '86 that I haven't gotten rid of, and likely won't.
    The Svea is one of those Things. If you have to explain your love for it, they will never understand. From its priming ritual that borders on witchcraft, to its turbo afterburner howl when it's up to speed, to its calico-tarnished brass when it's just sitting there, the Svea has a place in our hearts.

central joe, MartyJ, LJHfrstr and 3 others like this.
  6. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    In the 80's those Bucks were the custom knife for the common man, Randall's if you had money. The SVEA or a 111 were the only thing going if you wanted to pack in, especially after reading Fletcher. The Sierra cup was and still is the most impractical but coolest looking cup out there. That is a fine looking coffee pot, barely broke in from the looks of the dents. Now all you have to do is throw the guts away and have real boiled coffee. Just keep adding grounds until the end of the trip. Better each day!

I'll bite, what was no. 5?

Haggis, central joe and BalsamFur like this.
  7. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    @MartyJ , #5 is an early High Sierra external frame backpack. I agree with you about the cup. Nowadays it's mostly just the "old school badge" you hang off your kit somewhere.
    The knife, cup, and coffee pot were unrelated purchases that year, but the pack and the stove share a story. We didn't have an REI store where I grew up, but nearby there was a privately owned store with similar inventory. The owner/manager was a great old guy with lots of stories of his adventures. He hired knowledgeable staff who took a lot of time off to go on their own trips and test gear. That was a great store. 1986 was the first year I went to Philmont. I was in the store buying that backpack to replace my K-Mart special, and the owner noticed me eyeing the shiny new Sveas. I HAD read Fletcher at that point, and told him so. Unfortunately, I had already spent several busboy's paychecks on the pack, and simply couldn't afford much else. He said "Come back tomorrow and we'll work something out."
    The next day I returned, and he was cleaning up an old one. It had belonged to his grown son, who had replaced it with one of the new MSRs that were becoming popular. He showed me how to prime it and light it, making sure I could do it myself, and sold it to me for 25 bucks.
    Yeah, I won't be getting rid of this stove any time soon.

8. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_5330.JPG IMG_5329.JPG
    That is such a great stove/outdoor story. I know you thought you were big poop with that Fletcher stove and you were! I am sure you have payed that guys kindness forward many times. I know this is a stove thread but the Sierra Cup dates to a time when you would pull it off your pack and dip it in a mountain stream and not worry about fatal or near fatal infections. At that time it was the new school version of the Voyager's wooden canoe cup. Here is my favorite Sierra Cup. Yes there is a Weed, California. Also a canoe cup I carved last year.

9. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_5414.JPG IMG_5416.JPG Broke down and picked up a 1/2 pint kerosene stove, in this case a Primus 96 made in 1956. For size comparison I placed it between a older Optimus 8R (left) and a newer SVEA 123R (right). I love this stove. I know it is not nearly as practical as a Pocket Rocket or so other newer lightweight high pressure stove but they are a classic. And the kerosene is a lot more klutz friendly then these two white gas stoves. It is a bit more on the set-up and take down but I am not in a hurry anymore and age is keeping me more on day trips. Another plus is they are capable of extended cooking, not just heating water.

10. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! AND some nice Kettles to boot. With everyone raving about the SVEA 123's on this forum I was able to buy one from @longhunter . It'll be going camping with me next weekend!

P1070684.JPG

P1070706.JPG

11. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    That SVEA looks brand new. Great stove but remember the cautions about leaving the key in while cooking. Wild onions? Look tasty.

Haggis and central joe like this.
  12. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Added another classic to the herd. Actually a couple of them. I picked up a Primus 71 E last weekend. It is similar to the SVEA 123 in function and design but with a longer pedigree. This one was made in 1953 (Primus date stamped most of their products for years) and fits in its own aluminum housing/burner/windscreen. Unlike the SVEA, you can prime and light it while still in the housing. Also unlike the SVEA, it comes in a usable cup and fry pan. The SVEA comes with such a little cup, most people don’t bother with it. For my money the 71 is a better design. This one came full of fuel (white gas) and after a new gasket for the filler cap, lit right up and chugged along. Who knows how old the gas was. I picked up another a couple of weeks ago but don’t have pictures yet. I love these old stoves. 4348D4DF-9453-403C-9A3F-9B05B789E8AF.jpeg
    4D342C12-E7FC-4BBE-87B1-691749B524D7.jpeg
    2A024053-8675-40FA-830B-3389E2AB8160.jpeg

13. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently won an ebay auction which included a Sigg Tourist set, an Optimus 88 set, Optimus pot gripper (hard to find or missing from kits) and a Scout Billy. I needed another 88 kit like a hole in the head, but I couldn't resist :D

I have a Primus 71 in a Groniger cook set, basically the equivalent of a Sigg Tourist but made to hold the Primus. It wasn't getting much love because the pots are bigger volume than I normally need. I decided I wanted to adapt it to use with the smaller Optimus set.

Took me a few tries, but I finally figured out an adapter ring to hold the Primus in the lower windscreen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Optimus 99 with home made lid for the pot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Optimus 80

[​IMG]

Next to a Svea 123R

[​IMG]

16. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great stoves Spork! Here is a couple more too. My other Primus 71 that is similar to your Optimus 80. It is somewhere from the 1956-62 era not having a date stamp. Next to it is an unmarked Primus 71? Optimus 80? Likely made after Optimus bought out Primus and quit marking the stoves other then a label. You can see the label is gone on this one. It was missing the housing and key so I have few clues.
    09D4B533-25DF-4025-8919-FC1B1FB66814.jpeg
    A9B16A83-F215-4A26-8369-3EC2A898F866.jpeg
    40B02893-49A3-4064-A8C4-F40064B19978.jpeg

17. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    One more. This poor old beast is an Optimus No. 8. It has been used a lot and is missing it’s little wrench and had a home made replacement key but otherwise in good shape. I have elected to stop the rust but otherwise leave it as found (the Bodie approach). A nice hard to find early camp stove.
    5F820E39-331E-4191-BEC9-D3AF6A68D868.jpeg
    BE3169FB-FD26-4691-9819-5E672C718BA0.jpeg
    3E35C325-1A69-40C7-91B1-AF8A58413EB1.jpeg

18. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those home made lid and grill are the “bomb”!

central joe, Haggis, Spork and 2 others like this.
  19. Spork

Blog Posts:
  20. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Most cups/pots that will nest with a Nalgene bottle can substitute for the original cup/lid. I say most because I've encountered a few that don't.

These are GSI Glacier cups of differing vintage...the older one has a smaller inside diameter. I've not tried the Walmart copy...I've got Olicamp Space Savers, but can't locate one at the moment. They are nice because they have measuring marks stamped on them.

[​IMG]

Some others...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    I spent a week of my vacation with my folks at their place on northern Lake Michigan. This is my dad's garage, or as I refer to it, "The Chamber of Lost Treasures".
    Do you see what I see?
    0712180707.jpg
    I'm feeling ornery, so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to post the old stove I found here. You can see it in this picture, though.

22. BetterNotBitterIsSurvival

BetterNotBitterIsSurvival Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is what I circled in the picture what you found?
    0712180707 cc.jpg
    I have no idea if it is but I couldn't resist the mystery and that was the only thing that appeared to be "camp-stovish" to my untrained eye.

Could it be one of these?
    campstove 1.jpg
    NOT BF coleman-530.jpg

23. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    @BetterNotBitterIsSurvival for the win!

0712180610a.jpg
    Coleman GI Pocket stove
    0712180617a.jpg
    All the parts are there, including the intruction manual.
    0712180612.jpg
    0712180714a.jpg
    It looks like it's been fired up a few times, but otherwise it's in pristine condition. 0712180618.jpg 0712180618a.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    SmilinJoe, Haggis, LJHfrstr and 7 others like this.
  24. BetterNotBitterIsSurvival

BetterNotBitterIsSurvival Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    central joe, NevadaBlue and BalsamFur like this.
  25. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    I genuine BalsamFur pat on the back. Those ain't cheap. :4:

26. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    central joe, NevadaBlue and BalsamFur like this.
  27. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice stove. Looks complete including the funnel and wrench/pot lifter which are often missing. The booklet is rare also. If it is a 520 Model it is WWII era. The 530 is post war, maybe for the forgotten war, Korea. I am sure Coleman kept military contracts after WW II plus there is alway a post market for ex GI’s for familiar equipment. I have had a couple, my son still uses one. They are a blast finance and were designed to heat a lot of water quickly and still good for that. Not much of a simmer cooking stove but a lot of heat fast no mater what that booklet says. Just check the gasket of the filler cap to make sure it is not dried up and although people say you can burn leaded gas in them, I would only recommend white gas, much cleaner burning. It has some value in its current condition to a collector.

That red Coleman lantern is worth fixing up too. Looks like the same era and should have the date on the bottom. Unless it is rare model they don’t carry a huge value but they are great lanterns. A lot of guys look for “birthday” lanterns made same month and year they were born. I prefer the single mantles over the double and the red paint over the green. Nicer light then the double in my mind.

I would love to go through that garage, I am sure there is more treasure to find.

28. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1658.JPG
    Yeah, got a few old stoves. More in the garage but I am too lazy to go get them.

29. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Of course I had to zoom in and study them. I have many of those but not in your quantity! Very impressive. I have come to appreciate the kerosene brassies the most as I am less likely to burn the house down with them or cause explosions. I take it the blow torch is to light them all.

BalsamFur and JosephDurham like this.
  30. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just never got too excited over the blowtorches. I have two that work but they just seem crude in comparison to the brass stoves. At one time or another, I have had every stove light up and burn (after replacing all the gaskets and NRV pips) and I took pictures of them running. I may want to sell them some day. Oh, and I guess you learned not to leave kero in the tank and close the air valve? Don’t ask how I know about this.

31. BalsamFur

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input, Marty. The instruction booklet refers to its military use in past tense, so this is a post-war civilian model. My dad said he paid about five bucks for it at a yard sale. I'll have to take a closer look at the lantern when I visit again.