Predaredness kit - for the motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by CaliforniaCanuck, Oct 14, 2018.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Aside from the basic factory tool kit, what do you keep on your motorcycle?

Let's say it's an adventure bike!

central joe likes this.
  2. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Rack with water and fuel. Beyond that, what's your plan and environment.

central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  3. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I am doing true adventure riding and some will be gravel and fire roads I carry a tubeless repair kit and either a hand pump, CO2, or a spark plug adapter. We were in Alaska on the Dalton Highway in 2016 and my friend had a flat that we had no choice but to repair on the side of the road. Also, if you have chain drive, a chain tool, two master links, and about six links of chain, which gives you options.

And +1 on spare gas if you are in an area like Alaska, although I don't carry excessive extra water, I am usually camping and have a water filter anyhow so I find and filter water if needed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  4. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't taken any long (500+) mile motorcycle trips in the last couple of years, but I used to do it more frequently.

Can't remember one of those trips when there wasn't some level of trail-side or road side repairs.

This is my general motorcycle kit.

1014182351~2.jpg

It gets adjusted depending on the bike (Harley vs Dual Sport).

It has a mix of mechanical and electrical fix options, spare nuts and bolts (in tin), specialty sockets / torx heads, 2 part epoxy putty, tape, zip ties, tie wire...

It all fits in a 12"×4"x4" bag

Missing from photo:
    -2 spare tubes and tire spoons (dual sport)
    -tire inflator
    - folding saw (trail /dual sport)
    - sometimes a small 19" axe
    -30' 1" tubular climbing webbing
    - a couple of extra bungee straps
    - spare gas

In my backpack or bags would be the normal camping gear / emergency survival gear depending on area and length of trip and area. Extra water in the desert or mountains.

5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    ANF, that’s a lot of tools! I have to ask, do you have every fastener size covered?

I’m “looking” for my next bike and I’d like it to have a tool kit that has the tools to cover most of the common field repairs but excluding the redundant sizes. As in, if there’s no 13mm it won’t have that socket or wrench.

Not even narrowed the bike down so its just an idea, but I like the kit you put together!

ANFwoodsman and central joe like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I carry a 6" 1/4" extension and pull bar. A few common sockets and torx / allen bits will cure a lot of little problems and some big ones. joe

ANFwoodsman and blind & lost like this.
  7. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tire plug kit maybe???Also a nice looking female mechanic that specializes in tune ups...

8. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I take some long rides. My kit looks extremely close to @ANFwoodsman 's kit. Right down to the Loctite.

ANFwoodsman likes this.
  9. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love looking at the ultra-compact, specialty motorcycle tools that are commercially available these days. Some of them super pricey but many are, surprisingly not.

Take a look at this “bit kit”, for example:

http://uniongaragenyc.com/shop/motorcycle-accessories/union-garage-bit-kit

I think I just convinced myself to get it :D

Just to add, I would bring some JB Weld stick and maybe some West System G/Flex transferred over to sone tiny little squeeze bottles.

ANFwoodsman likes this.
  10. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The kit was set up to have every size for your most common fixes and any specialty sizes / fittings. There is some overlap in the tools where one tool won't work because of location or angle. Not two of everything though.

It looks like a ton of tools, until you actually need to use them.

11. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    it is good to think ahead and plan

"PPPPP"

over the years i found several systems methods and customized tool packs to be quite helpful

when a new skoot arrived on the scene JOB ONE was to take a rollaround stool out on the drive way w/ a small ice chest w/ a sheet of plywood on it for a table

AND a big yellow pad n pencil(knot pen because many of the answers i write down are subject to change as the kit developes)

starting on one end and circling the skoot several times i identify every tool that MIGHT be needed to affect repairs within my abilities

as the list grows i lay the tools out on the ice chest table

when i can find no more instances i can imagine that would need tools the BIG JOB begins

MAKING SPECIAL TOOLS as needed for each skoot

some wrenches get cut apart when the odd end isn't on THE LIST

one tool that comes to mind is my 10x13 box end wrench and the corresponding 10x13 open end wrench

that combination is knot available on the market and it doesn't come in any factory tool kits

so i welded a set together

SOCKETS... 6 point 3/8" drive in the sizes needed get nested/strung on a 1/4" drive extension of the needed length stopped w/ a 1/4">3/8" adapter w/ a 3/8 drive 10mm socket on it

IMG_2520.jpg

a 1/4" sliding T handle turns the sockets

IMG_0862.jpg

seldom is there a worthy axle wrench in any factory kit

and seldom is there ever a worthy tyre tool or set of tools

SO when the axle nut sizes are determined off to the HF tool rack for their LONG combination wrenches in the needed sizes(frequently the front axle and rear axle have different sized nuts which means 2 wrenches and sometimes 3

i cut the open end off the axle nut wrenches leaving them as long as will fit in my kit(bag box or tube)

IMG_0867.jpg

once cut i grind the end to the shape of a tyre spoon

IMG_0864.jpg

a bag w/ a long over flap made out of the back of an old blue jean leg holds my assortment and provides a clean place to dump 'em out

IMG_0863.jpg

a 4" NAME BRAND crescent and a 5" pair of both needle nose and std VISE-GRIPS come in handy

all these tools end up riding under the tail rack(home made if no after market ones are to be had)

the tail rack and side racks on my DR-350 were home made w/ the help of a friend

the design included a pair of "document tubes" from AGRI SUPPLY

https://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister-large/p/67670/

mounted under the tail rack

350 r rear_2.jpg

one side for tools( the muffler side )

the other side for a spare litre of fuel in an MSR or Primus bottle

751378968_o.jpg

a spare front inner tube and patch kit live in the front fender bag

bag mounted.jpg

a front tube WILL work in the rear for long enough to get you back to civilization

i've run outa pic space

be back shortly

blind & lost and ANFwoodsman like this.
  12. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    see that didn't take long

another piece of home made kit is a JACK STAND made from the lower/adjustable section of an aluminium crutch ( can be had at flea mkts for $3-$5/pr )

drill out the rivets holding the lower center section and you're left w/ a telescoping set of tubes w/ a push button adjuster

IMG_0756.jpg

grind a notch in the top of the outer tube

crutch bike prop top.jpg

don't discard the rubber plug

the jack stand will hold your wheel off the ground for chain service or patching a tubeless tyre

crutch:jack in use_2 2.jpg

i got a 12v circuit test light from HF that slides right in the end of the jack stand and the rubber plug keeps it from escaping

IMG_0753.jpg

i carried a LOT of extraneous stuff on the KLR

cowboy bedroll and waterproof bags w/ atv pack on the back

IMG_1294.jpg

and even more on the DL-650

Ortlieb waterproof saddle bags large duffel and the atv pack + + +...

IMG_0992.jpg

butt managed to pare the load down on the DR-350 substantially for spring n summer ADV tripping

GIANT LOOP(quality gear!) saddle bags(food n cook kit in one side and personal items on the other side) and a smaller Ortlieb duffel(shelter sleeping system and water) along w/ the Giant Loop tank bag (incidentals)

loaded tree fiddy on the beach.jpg

btw, thatsa FAK above the headlight

¿ HAVE I STIRRED THE POT SUFFICIENTLY ?

more later if i rememberize it

13. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a motorcyclist, but I know Nutnfancy has some in depth videos on the topic on Youtube. The one thing I know he carries is a fairly substantial First Aid and Trauma kit. Wreck on a bike, or someone with you wrecks, a good trauma kit may be the only help available for awhile, depending on your location when it happens.

66drifter likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Being a cyclist as well,
    I carried a lot of extra weight wishing I had a small trailer .
    There are several issues one need to address .
    What kind of preparedness is your goal ?
    There are events which require abandoning the bike and walking out .
    Fixing bike is too vague , too many things can go wrong . I carried tools enough to take care of most major break downs and only tools applicable to that bike alone. But I have had events that the tire was so damaged "60 d nail though and through" a new tire was the only fix. not having one required a utility trailer and my truck.

Several things can be avoided by thorough inspections and careful driving habits .
    Every bit of load adds to wear even driving techniques can shorten the life of spokes and chain ,gears, and forks.
    As a bug out vehicle there is only so much you want to be wearing because all of it adds to your center of gravity . not good especially off road.
    Hence the trailer .
    A trailer can bear the weight that you don't want to add to the suspension,, but it still adds some to the load of pulling and stopping, but not much.
    The problem with a trailer is , some off road trails are not accommodating .
    How much do you value of being prepared?
    Personally I have a truck/camper and shop trailer for bugging out.
    But for a simple cross country trip , a trailer behind the bike is absolutely necessary.

blind & lost likes this.
  15. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man if I dumped my tool kit on the floor you would think we were cousins.

blind & lost and ANFwoodsman like this.