Preferences ?

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by SkipJunkie, Feb 11, 2019.

1. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am finding that I definitely have preferences in pack specifics . Due to an ah-hum chronological disorder lol lighter is definitely a tall order . I prefer the u shaped yoke system for weight distribution/comfort . I also have found that I have a definite appreciation for narrower packs that don't extend pass my shoulders . I originally purchased military surplus which are always heavier albeit pretty much bomb proof .
    I recently purchased a Camelbak pack that checked all the fore mentioned specs . I found it to be possibly the most comfortable pack I had carried to date . Just this afternoon I purchased a Gregory pack . The store allowed me to load it with things from their shelves that closely replicated the things I would carry on my outings . Don't know the exact weight loaded but it was by no means to capacity which this time of year would include warming items . Needless to say it carried exceptionally well and followed me home .
    Im getting away from the tactical look as I prefer simple clean lines . Straps for cinching the bag when not full and a water bottle pocket or two more than suffice these days . I discovered a couple years back I like dump/pouch style packs with smaller kit bags inside . The Gregory I picked up has all of these but with a zipper that goes completely from either side of the well padded back panel and around to the other . This allows the back panel to be unzipped all the way around except for the bottom . This feature allows to full access to the bags contents without even having to open the top of the bag and dig through to get what's needed . Sooo what if any specific features have you grown to appreciate in a pack .

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A bag with straps, one interior pouch, two side pockets big enough to fit gatorade bottles, and a longer center outside pocket for a junk drawer are my essentials.

I'm currently experimenting with a frame again after about 12 years of no-frame ultralight packs. Stripped a Kelty Trekker down and mounted a German/NATO ruck to it, and it seems almost ideal, though if the bag itself was lighter material (bag alone is 3.5lbs), I would be happier.

I have learned that I like waist belt pockets too, for my snacks, but shirt pockets work too.

I can't decide on the flap/closure. I like the map/poncho pocket on the flap of my NATO ruck, the roll top of my GoLite packs, and the way the Kelty's top cinches down over the top of the load with the straps buckled down low... There is value in all of them.

I dislike 2 things:separate compartments for everything, and zippers (though you have to live with some of them.)

3. NJStricker

NJStricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the HPG harness. If they mad a pack like the Umlindi with an additional outer pocket for odds and ends and 2 real water bottle pockets it would be perfect. Yes, you can assemble that with their items but it ends up costing $500

MichaelBear, woodsranger and MrFixIt like this.
  4. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well we are definitely going to need pictures . That's just how we roll here at BCUSA :cool: .
    IMG_20190212_123441347.jpg IMG_20190212_123508208.jpg IMG_20190212_123539035.jpg
    Here's my Gregory I recently acquired great carrying bag and well made .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  5. NJStricker

NJStricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Which model?

MichaelBear and MrFixIt like this.
  6. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    The "Boone Overnight" 40L .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    MichaelBear likes this.
  7. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Quinlan and MichaelBear like this.
  8. MichaelBear

MichaelBear Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    And where is the model and photo of the Camelback @SkipJunkie ? ;)
    Btw this Gregory looks awesome. I think we have almost all the same preferences.

SkipJunkie likes this.
  9. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Camelbak Sno Blast , I like the capacity of this hydration pack or should I say the way it loads . The bladder compartment and the actual bag are independent of each other . Meaning that filling one doesn't take away space from the other .
    This is when I first picked it up . Since then it has become my EDC bag .
    IMG_20181229_235721341.jpg
    Another nice feature is that by means of a zipper that goes from one side of the bag around the bottom and up the other it can expand an additional 6 litres (23L as it sits) . Or I can compress it down almost flat using the 4 straps , 2 located on each side . These straps can also be attached across the front of the pack to accommodate skis or a snowboard , at least that's what they're intended use is . But an axe , tomahawk or whatever else can be secured as well .

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019