preferred wayne locations?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by CowboyJesus, Apr 11, 2019.

1. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    now that we've moved to the new house, wayne national forest is much closer. spring break is next week, and i've FINALLY gotten a day on the calendar to get away for awhile.

i want to find an area where i can wander-trails or not-for awhile, maybe set up a camp for the day for some rest, and some food.

any suggestions?

also, i've been reading the rules, but i also always forget when hunting seasons are to be concerned/prepared for. anything in those regards i need to know?

thanks all for your help!!

2. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a spot where not many people go, but there’s nothing special about it. If by yourself just during the day, pick any place you can park and walk in. It’s all beautiful. Wildcat Hollow near Burr Oak is a fairly popular spot for overnighters.

Turkey season is mid-April through end of May.

CowboyJesus likes this.
  3. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    so it looks like i'm in the clear regarding any hunters being out there.

i've trying to remember where i've been the times i was out there-i think the most recent was monday creek? and @jswi2374 do you remember where it was that you and i met up long ago? was that burr oak?

@sons of scotland , i know we're looking at your backyard basically-you have suggestions for a good, multiuse area if one is heading out just for a day?

4. sons of scotland

sons of scotland Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    dorr run would be the closest wayne to you, lost of trails and thousands of acres to explore. me and hiker41 have been there several times. i would go to the wayne nf office just outside of nelsonville off st rt 33 and pick up there topo maps of all wayne nf in ohio. dorr run, monday creek, utah ridge, are among some of my favorites. love wildcat but its abit of a drive. st rt 595, and st rt 78, are some good sections of wayne, and there are several other small sections of wayne that i visit alot. honestly, just use this map and and start exploring and finding your own secluded spots, that was half the fun for me. dont overlook clear creek and wahkeena nature preserve just minutes from your house, one of the prettiest areas for hiking and birding, and a cool log cabin nature center, your little one would love it.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5108535.pdf

CowboyJesus likes this.