Preparedness when away from home

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Panzer, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I often find my self a tourist or traveler. Its times like that I feel the most vulnerable especially when I am not in my car which has a kit ready to go in the trunk. I am also in situations where I am hiking rural and then in suburban urban areas. I think my EDC bag needs to be able to cover all those options since it will more then likely be with me no matter where I travel.

Thoughts and suggestions to contents of a do-all edc bag?

Toddg, superpaco, Wasp and 16 others like this.
  2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One initial thought I have, because of the type of travel I do, is that my bag translate well for airline travel.

The contents of such a bag is usually paired with some extra items in a checked bag. That way, when I am on the ground again, I can enjoy a full range of items.

I too am curious about what others think about what belongs in such a bag. :)

Toddg, superpaco, gila_dog and 7 others like this.
  3. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Most items can work in both situations, but for urban you might want to add some cash, a non-lethal defensive item like pepper spray or a taser, a stout walking stick that can be used for defense, a turn-key for water spigots, water purification tabs so you can purify water on the move, a blanket like a snugpak jungle blanket, a poncho, whistle, flashlight, extra batteries, and a map of the city.

4. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Even check in luggage may not always be an option. I throw away a Victorinox Hiker/Climber rather then surrendering it. Now I use made in china SAK clones. I doubt that I will ever buy another Victorinox.

If not flying you still need to keep things light if carrying this outside a vehicle. I would start a fire starter, knife, flashlight, socks/underwear/undershirt/hat/gloves/water filter, and go from there.

5. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The two most important things off the top of my head are:

1) A non-military style bag. In non-military colors. I think that Earthtones are okay as long as the bag looks "civilian-y."
    2) A small blade for the urban areas. A good SAK would be my choice. I would probably go with the larger series with a locking blade.

Then the normal stuff: ss bottle, mini FAK, etc.
    I would add money (coins, too) and an extra car key that is secured or hidden.

I would use a cane instead of a walking stick. A cane is considered a medical device. Under the ADA they can't even ask you why you need it. You can take them into courtrooms and airports. The American Cane System has some good videos. There are also a number of freebies on YT that can get you started (the Sons of Cane are pretty good). You can even get special "self defense" canes with a wider crook, a sharpened horn and "shark teeth" for about $50 on ebay.

Toddg, jstert, blind & lost and 9 others like this.
  6. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We all have a different definition of what an "EDC bag" represents, I think. Some it's a pocket...for folks like me, it's what is lovingly often referred to as a "man purse".

1. Fire - Can you make fire
    2. Water - can you carry water. Depending on location, you should consider the ability to purify it, too...tablets or something.
    3. Signalling - Whistle, mainly. Works great everywhere...urban, suburban, rural, boondocks.
    4. Shelter - Simple, a mylar blanket. Maybe a trash bag
    5. Food - Not really necessary, unless you are diabetic or something like that.
    6. Medical - Important one. Whatever meds you are on, you should have some on you. Also, some sort of Advil and some bandaids with antiseptic ointment.
    7. Protection - Highly subjective. Both as a personal matter, and location wise....but you should have something. Firearm, knife, pepper spray, flashlight, glass breaker, whatever. Something. For my money, I go for deterrance. I prefer very intimidating things so hopefully I don't have to use them. Whatever that is.
    8. Tools and Utility - multi tool, some sort of flashlight, paper and pencil, sunglasses, maybe sunscreen and/or bug spray depending on your situation, bandana, personally I like a compass, but I have trouble in cities and such with direction. Safety Pins.
    9. CASH! Not credit cards....cash. Emergency money. Don't get caught in a blackout with nothing but plastic on you. Have a few bucks for emergencies.
    10. Batteries. I keep a battery bank in my manpurse. I use it a lot, actually. I let people charge their phones and whatnot, as well. Keep extra charging cords for whatever you need to charge.
    11. Toiletries and Grooming supplies - Yeah, it may not be tacticool, but it sure helps to have some baby wipes, nail clippers, chap stick, and some kleenex on you at all times. Having to go to the bathroom without TP sucks. Ingrown nails or broken finger nails suck. Sneezing and having to wipe snot on your sleeve sucks. Besides, a lot of that stuff makes decent emergency tinder, too.
    12. Extra ammunition. This is, of course, dependant on whether you are packing. But if you are...why not have a little extra on you? Also, gunpowder has it's uses. You can pry the bullet out and use the powder to start fires, cauterize wounds, season meat. I could go on about other stuff you can use ammunition for other than ammunition, but I'll stop there.

That enough? :18:

Like I said...I carry a man purse. PROUDLY! Don't judge me.:12:

7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think you forgot the kitchen sink! :D

On a serious note, toiletries are vital. I wish I could count the number of times I needed those but never had them on hand.

8. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    I like that others are thinking similarly to me. Good info!

Toddg, jstert, Snake Doc 415 and 3 others like this.
  9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe in addition to carrying a bag you could make a short list of items you could pick up at gas stations or a dollar store that would set you ahead of the curve so to speak. Be nice to have a focus on what you need to fortify what you need or would want to add to your kit.

10. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When traveling I like to have contact numbers ON PAPER, not just my phone. Besides getting separated from the phone, numbers for places you have reservations (conformation numbers too), car rental, etc are handy. Also a pen to write stuff down, any meds you need, batteries for GPS, flashlights, and the like.

11. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some of things can be purchased or found rather easily. Others, not so much.

A Bug out Bag may have varying difinitions but an everyday carry bag is a bag that you carry nearly everyday and nearly everywhere.

I'm sure whatever you have now is probably pretty good. Maybe post a picture of it.

12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don’t fly any more. I did fly a LOT for work. The last go-round I carried a Condor backpack as my carryon. (You could have two then, so my computer bag was there too). The Condor has nice padded straps and a padded suspension belt and TONS of pockets. The straps and belt ‘hide’ in the pack on the back and there is a ‘suitcase’ handle on each side. It was very handy.
    Of course, there are lots of silly limits now, but the bag would still work nicely.

this one:

026C008E-10E2-49DA-84BF-AAA5D015ADAB.jpeg

It is headed for the trade blanket at the Oregon GTG in may.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  13. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I try to keep things light and realistic.
    I relate to modern disasters and think what I would need to get by.
    The big ones that pop into my head are delayed flights, natural or man made disasters, or acts of terror.

My goal is to get home.

Here is what I take usually everywhere.

Multi source Phone Charger / Smart Phone in good working order.
    $100 Cash of various bills and less than $2 in coin.
    Credit Card with a decent limit.
    Map of the area I will be staying in.
    Small FAK usually no bigger than a quart freezer bag. That includes a tourniquet and BoBoo items.
    Clothing for the environment, that usually consists of a extra layer and a shell. - Always have good shoes available.
    Always have decent sun glasses that have a ANSI rating.
    Flashlight, I always have a Streamlight Microstream with a extra lithium battery.
    Sometimes I take a Streamlight Polymer Pro 2 AA.
    Bottle of water and a Snack.

Protection of choice in a NPE
    21" Airweight ASP
    Not as volatile as pepper spray & it is multi use.
    In general I have found it to be more legally forgiving and less detected by security.
    If I have to ditch it I am out $50 and I really do not have to worry about some kid being a kid with it.

People tend to over think shelter & fire for EDC.
    Use stuff around you, especially in a urban environment.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    Here is what I am carrying so far. Been playing around with a sling style pack with these contents:
    o Note Pad
    o Pens
    o Wrist Compass
    o Headlamp
    o Flashlight
    o Folding Knife
    o Lip Balm
    o First Aid Kit
    o Latex Gloves
    o Whistle
    o Fire Kit
    o Duct Tape
    o Ferro Rod
    o Zip Ties
    o Reflective Arm Band
    o Butane Lighter
    o Skeletool Multi Tool
    o CRKT Eating Tool
    o Water Bottle (stainless)
    o Power Bank
    o Apple Cord/wall Plug
    o Bandanna
    o Mechanix Gloves
    o 550 Cord
    o Zip Ties
    o Firearm/spare mag

15. Brownie

Brownie A Waterman's Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a good list. Thanks for this. I've been thinking something similar. Small items to slip inside a satchel with my work tablet computer. Not much room in the bag so i'd have to go with some kind of bag for water instead of a bottle. To your list I'd add a couple contractor bags since they are very compact shelter/sleeping items and some water purification tabs, something to eat that don't spoil easily maybe.

16. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    Good call out on the contractor bags and water tabs.

17. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

18. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A very practical post. My last trip was in a rural area of Minnesota. I didn't have a map handy. One of those trips where my wife and I were met at the airport and driven to a family event. I should have at least looked at a map so I could orient myself.

Snake Doc 415, ArkansasFan and Panzer like this.
  19. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My solution.
    20180719_085709.jpg 20180719_090904.jpg

Snake Doc 415, M.Hatfield and Panzer like this.
  20. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Panzer

Would you take all of that kit to a Indy race?
    Sorry I could not resist, I noticed you were from Ohio and that area is about 3 hours away.

Hey, it's a realistic question.
    Poking fun of the

I avoid...

"The City"
    NFL
    Hipsters
    Vaccines
    Aluminum

Type People.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Snake Doc 415 and M.Hatfield like this.
  21. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    I avoid large crowds as much as possible

22. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    @Panzer

Well, what if you can't?

Family, friend, and business functions happen all the time in places where you would rather not be.

Snake Doc 415 and M.Hatfield like this.
  23. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Reasonable question.

I layer my "stuff" when in the accursed city. My pocket kit should fix minor issues, and get me to my truck with a bigger kit, which can get me to the house, where I can get to the dog, who will make people asking irritating questions go on down the road.
    :4:

Gumbi, cek, Cueball77 and 3 others like this.
  24. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    This is what I have assemble so far. This does not count what I carry on me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Black5

Blog Posts:
    I have the same maxpedition pouch, which I love and set up on a similar manner.

I've got to have that patch!!!!

Snake Doc 415 likes this.
  26. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A small daypack (10-20 liters) can easily carry what I would want when traveling- urban or rural; for one if I'm traveling I'm almost certainly going to be hiking anyways :)

adequate clothing- probably the most overlooked and the most important imo
    at least a rudimentary shelter
    water
    food
    small fire kit
    small first aid kit
    few repair bits
    tp
    navigation
    light source
    small cordage
    knife and/or multi-tool

some cash & credit cards
    a smartphone (& charger)
    firearm if appropriate

[​IMG]

27. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Loved the patch on the Maxpedition bag. You should now be referred to as "Felix". Let's see who's old enough to get that one... :D

28. Black5

Blog Posts:
    "Whenever he gets in a fix, he reaches into his bag of tricks.."

:4:

29. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    Always wanted a Felix patch.

30. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes, more is just...more.

When flying, I have a carry on bag that is designed to zip onto my bigger bag. An older Kelty, it quickly converts to an internal frame backpack. I've carried it all over Japan - just the thing for train and bus travel as well. If taking both on board, I have to leave behind my SAK....

The large bag has room for a .mil poncho in wet weather and a set of carbon fiber hiking sticks. Plus all the stuff you take on a vacation...

In that carry on bag:
    Small FAK
    small fire kit - fits on a snap top container
    Kleen Cantten with GSI cup under - both fit in a soft MOLLE container

Sadly, all my pics are on a site that no longer allows hot linking.....

31. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I lived in Chicago seasonally for about 5 years. Whenever I went into the inner city from the suburbs I used mass transit whenever I could. Some observations.

People don’t generally carry backpacks. Those that did were usually students or obviously out of town tourists. Regular commuters, if they carried anything at all, carried a briefcase or office-appropriate messenger bag. Maybe a small duffel if there was a stop at a gym before or after work. Sometimes people only carried a soft sided lunch container.

Backpacks, messenger bags, etc, usually had to be checked at stores, museums, or restaurants.

I know the tendency here is to build a kit with quality gear. For travel and urban settings I’ve taken a different approach. I carry better stuff on me, but in any other pack I don’t carry anything I’m not willing to walk away from or care about if it gets stolen. A multitool and small folder gets packed into my checked bags along with a Bic, otherwise those are on a belt pouch. If flying I carry 2 empty Smart water bottles in an MS Day and fill them when I can. I carry some zip ties, but no longer any cordage. I also carry some substantial snacks that can be a meal together. A FAK. Various OTC meds. A flashlight. A backup battery for my phone. A rain shell, maybe a poncho. Extra change of clothes.

jstert, Snake Doc 415, Harper and 2 others like this.
  32. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  33. weaselrunner

weaselrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    As a joke, my wife and daughter were going down to Carolina to visit her dad. I loaded up the kitchen table with a bunch of gear. Shotgun, amd65 rifle, ammo, tomahawk, rope emergency food and water, binoculars, etc. When she came in and asked the ****all of that was for. I told her I had packed for them for them. Didn't find it funny. Oh well

Gumbi and Snake Doc 415 like this.
  34. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If anyone flies alot and you get upgraded to business class they usually give you a small kit which the container can be used again, some are soft cases and the recent one was a hard plastic. Usually supplied by Tumi. Doesn't look "tactical".
    Comes with:
    socks
    eye shade
    small hand sanitizer
    small toothpaste
    small pen
    lip balm
    hand lotion
    toothbrush
    mouthwash
    earplugs
    tissues
    They come in handy for organizing stuff. I keep one to put all my pocket stuff in when going through security ( Minimal wallet, micro streamlight, aluminum pen, $$, passport, keytag, watch ) all that goes back in the pockets once on board. Will be no time to grab the carry on if there's an emergency.

35. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is always an interesting question. Naturally, a lot depends on the area you visit. In Texas, I believe the ASP baton mentioned could be considered a "club" under the penal code. In other places, maybe it wouldn't be an issue. Same as pepper spray...legality varies.

Only things I might add that I didn't notice above are:
    -a power pack to recharge a phone...many of these have an LED flashlight built in, and some will charge a smartphone fully twice or more.
    -$1 emergency poncho
    -public restroom supplies (a roll of camping toilet paper and some disinfectant wipes to clean the seat!)
    -a nesting cup around the water bottle is cheap and nice to have, plus it makes putting the bottle back in the bag easier...but given your choice of bottle, you probably don't need it.
    -Meds, including a day or two's doses of prescription meds, Aspirin for chest pain, Benadryl for allergic reactions, and anti-diarrhea meds.
    -tiny fishing kit, for fun, not survival.
    -not a big deal, but sometimes I like to take some paracord and a few buckles when travelling. It is fun and a good conversation starter to be able to make a bracelet to give away, trade, etc.

pellegrino and Snake Doc 415 like this.
  36. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think preparedness for a traveler (or anyone really) is augmented with health and fitness, ample supplies of money, and knowledge.

For the urban and suburban environments, there's little that can't be accomplished with a smartphone and credit card so 1) means to keep your phone charged and perhaps earphones for hands free use and 2) spare credit card with no balance and a good line of credit. Of course cash is king so having ample cash on hand is helpful as well particularly as when the credit card terminals won't work during (insert reason). And you can travel anywhere with this stuff.

The next most difficult thing to improvise is personal protection. If you're not physically fit, you can generally forget fighting and running. Combative skills are essential even though I think most people with those skills don't use them in an actual scenario. If you can have a handgun then have one. You're essentially not going to have one outside the U.S. so think of something else, e.g. a club, garrot, shiv, etc. Perhaps a hanky or sock and a lot of coins or a good rock. As Clint Emerson writes, a nomad needs cash and a gun. What you can't get with one you can get with the other. This is of course only applicable to certain unlikely scenarios.

Good shoes are a must. Clothing, our first line of shelter, shouldn't be attention grabbing, but most of us will never need to be "gray man" so as long as you're not looking ostentatious you're probably fine. I like to fly in all cotton which may not be most practical to a traveler, but it's not prone to melting and you only have seconds to evacuate a plane. Be ready to be aggressive and despite the canned speech - take your go bag when you evac.

Outside of this, here's a random list of stuff I like to have. Some of this may not be legal depending on where you're going, e.g. Chicago, Italy, Smithsonian, etc. Take what you can.

1. Bag you can travel with and keep on you with:
    2. Credit card
    3. Money
    4. Passport, itineraries, shot records, passes, anything you may need here
    5. Power bank, cables, ear phones, AC and DC plugs.
    6. Light - robust, bright, and maybe a headlamp depending on your agenda
    7. IFAK including regular first aid supplies and meds you use
    8. What of a PSK you can travel with and appropriate to your training, include something for water purification
    9. E&E kit - shard of ceramic from spark plug, Bogota rakes, Kevlar cord, a cuff key, razor blade, hair pins and shims (all if legal)
    10. Water bottle
    11. Repair kit - cordage, some tape, a few zip ties, maybe a needle and super glue if you like
    12. Note pad
    13. Steel, robust pen (doesn't have to be an actual "tactical pen")
    14. Knife
    15. Multitool
    16. Pistol and spare mag
    17. OC spray
    18. Compass
    19. Maps
    20. Jacket, poncho, or something for wind and rain
    21. I like to have a couple Clif bars and gum
    22. Hygiene kit so either some normal stuff for travel or scaled down to like wipes and whisps with hand sanitizer.
    23. N95 flat fold mask
    24. Gloves
    25. Ear plugs

Dress for weather. Keep your standard EDC which should include sturdy sunglasses. I actually keep a SOL Heat Sheet in my bag and a chemlight as well.

Edited for fat thumbing.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  37. Snake Doc 415

Snake Doc 415 Gradatim Ferociter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A good flashlight is always welcome! Also, an E&E/S.E.R.E kit depending on the town you're in. Never can be to careful.

-Snake Doc 415

38. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    what manzi1 said about a flying kit is very true. keep your essentials on you in a fanny pack or cargo pants pockets at all times. more thoughts: lock all your bags, even carryons. at security checkpoints empty pockets into your fanny pack and stuff it into a bigger locked carryon. in your fanny pack or pockets always goes wallet with cash, keys, non bladed key ring tool, fully charged phone, metal lightly serrated flashlight, passport. wear laced, closed toe, comfy footwear; long cotton blend pants and long sleeve collared shirt with cotton underwear for protection against germs, scrapes and even fire in an emergency. be sure to always know your exits and move smartly as needed. have travel health and medevac insurance that starts anywhere beyond 100 miles from home.

39. Snake Doc 415

Snake Doc 415 Gradatim Ferociter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Watched those cartoons at pawpaw's house growing up. That would make a great patch!

-Snake Doc 415

40. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Remember that tools less than 7” are legal for carry on. A screwdriver is a fine tool for self defense. I’m using a multi bit one from Klein tools. Pliers with wire cutters and a sillcock key. Empty water bladder with inline filter. Means to acquire a bicycle, a bike is always part of my plan as it can carry heavy loads or greatly speed travel depending on the need. It is also unaffected by traffic gridlock. Cash will be the easiest way to acquire one whether it be from a shop or individual. I did find that oddly enough cash was useless in the wake of the hurricane and only credit was accepted in most places. Since experiencing complete loss of comms during Hurricane Michael I am considering a garmin inreach mini satellite communicator. Lastly I carry a cheap 2m/70cm ham radio and ed Fong antenna with me. Quality lace up shoes are a must, no slip on shoes even for dress occasions. Lastly a quality poncho, being wet can freeze you to death even in Florida.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  41. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:

hey arkansas fan, great list, thanks. can you please explain #s 9 and 23?

travelers in asia often wear a face mask for protection against airborne illness, long ago i used to think it a bit silly, no longer now. a 14” leather cossack wolf whip from etsy is interesting. state laws on such implements are vague, this one has no steel core making it less of a restrictable weapon but i don’t want to risk $70 being taken by tsa so it would stay in checked luggage. a short riding crop looks nice too.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ArkansasFan likes this.
  42. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    So The mask is more for evacuation purposes in my mind be it a poor standard hotel in a 3rd world country, a smoking plane, your office building on fire, etc. There's also the droplet borne diseases as well as potentially getting caught in a moment of civil unrest to help with OC exposure. Granted, it's not a respirator, but if we're not breathing well then we're not doing anything else well. Or you could wear it to mask your identity without looking entirely like a hoodlum.

The E&E kit is of interest and is obviously questionable to those who don't share a similar mindset (and training). In urban environments, where most of us spend our time, we live amongst the majority of resources we'll ever need, and an entry kit allows for access. The escape tools allow for some mitigation of abduction and restraint in hellhole could tries or the local Uber rapist.

In about 2015, I began adding "urban survival" to my to do list. The majority of that centers around dealing with people, opportunity, and situations. Kevin Reeve's classes with Onpoint Tactical facilitated much of this.

43. Panzer

Blog Posts:
    Deck of cards to pass the time when you are stuck somewhere with nothing to do.

NJStricker and LongChinJon like this.
  44. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like to keep a small compass from countycomm.com. it looks cool, and it helps those of us who are directionally impaired.

45. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also keep a smal radio in my bags. They are really lightweight and use common batteries that I keep in my bag anyway and go in my lights. Its more for news and weather reports if all goes bad, but can serve as entertainment.

This(tiny) sony Walkman AAA in my bag.
    [​IMG]

And I have one of these Sony Walkman that has am/fm/dedicated weatherband, and uses AA.
    [​IMG]

A platypus collapsible water bottle is flat and takes up no space until you need it. .5 and 1 liter available.

Nalgene bottle

Baseball cap

I keep a pair of shorts, tshirt, and socks in a gallon ziploc.

Small first aid kit

A spare pocket knife

AAA light (olight) dedicated the bag

Ink pen (fisher space pen
    Small notepad

Bandana

Lipstick battery charger w/short cable (anker), including a cell phone wall and car jack.

Two pairs of latex gloves

Poncho
    SOL emergency blanket
    Firesteel
    Lighter
    Small watchband size sunto compass

100' of type 1 accessory cord
    Now I have 130' of kevlar Microcord too.

LCP .380

More...

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    LongChinJon likes this.
  46. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in earthquake country, so I need to be prepared all the time. I have two kits -- a full-up 5-6 day GTHOD kit that rides in the back of my Explorer, and a minimum-gear kit for a situation where my Explorer is either inaccessible or squashed flat. It easily fits in a cargo pocket without making itself known, and usually rides in my messenger bag.

Here are two links to my minimum-gear kit. The first is a pic and the second is the list of contents.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/super-budget-basic-kit-pic-heavy.249432/#post-4394979

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/super-budget-basic-kit-pic-heavy.249432/#post-4395349

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  47. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like to have a compass and map of the area , and bladders for water and a sawyer filter and other water purification as well.
    Emergency food ration. salt and pepper and sugar. coffee tea, chocolate , bullion cubes,
    55 gallon trash bag, doubles as a lot of things.
    A lot of things always go in my pockets no matter where I go .flash light, knife, tools, change,
    If there is an EMP or CME all the electronics get dumped but their weight is replaced with water.
    I don't leave the house with out the clothing required to get home on foot .
    I have a small 10 power monocular primarily for seeing as far ahead as possible ,but it comes in handy for reading signs just out of normal visual range .
    A some what extensive FAK . including vinegar and colloidal silver and the capacity to make more ,masks and gloves .
    a few hundred in cash,
    Drawing paper and utensils .
    Tape , super glue, sewing thread and needles .

Depending on the event and time of year and weather conditions gear changes ,and s I get older I walk slower , in stead of 5 MPH I might resort to 4.5 MPH . even slower if I have to evade groups .
    On my belly if I have to.

Harper likes this.
  48. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cash?

49. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When traveling on airplanes to distant places, I keep a small rucksack with me, as carry-on, that contains:
    wallet (cash, credit card, debit card, driver's license, maybe passport)
    phone
    keys
    water bottle (empty before entering security screening or they will take it away)
    extra set of underwear, socks, shirt
    hat
    rain jacket
    douche kit (toothbrush & paste, soap, razor, shampoo, pills and vitamins)
    first aid kit
    something to read
    flashlight + extra batteries
    compass
    camera
    extra glasses
    paper and pencil
    10 or 20 ft of paracord
    some duct tape wrapped around a pill bottle

I carry a simple wooden cane for protection

None of this stuff will cause problems going thru airport security

If I'm checking in luggage I'll put a Leatherman in there.

If I were going into a primitive country I would take a water filter.

Harper likes this.
  50. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always carry about $100 in small bills -- nothing larger than a $10.

Should la merde impact le ventilateur it may be difficult/impossible for folks to make change, if they have anything to sell. Should you need a roll of toilet paper and only have a $50, you have a decision to make.

Jean likes this.