prepping with parasites, toxins, contamination in mind...

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by lopie, Nov 5, 2018.

1. lopie

lopie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    DavidJAFO likes this.
  2. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1) Oregano Oil. It is like a medicine chest in a bottle--if you know how to use it. It has to be diluted in some way for internal use. It stores pretty much forever. Oregano Oil is probably nature's strongest antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitical--all in one.

2) Manuka honey with the highest UMF you can afford--it is expensive. It, too, stores virtually forever.

Both of these are being used for things that modern antibiotics don't work on.

3) Colloidal Silver. It is considered an antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. You can get a generator kit to produce a high quality product. It stores a long time. Like regular antibiotics, it will also kill good flora in the gut and will require a probiotic. That's why I prefer Oregano Oil. You can also get pets to take it.

4) Activated Charcoal. You have to be careful if you are taking medications or herbs--the charcoal absorbs those, too. Traditonally, Lobelia was used to purge.

5) Bituminous Clay is another thing that can be used to detoxify. It is a little nicer to take. It, too, can absorb medications/herbs and make them less effective.

6) Plantain is an excellent herb for bites and stings. It has drawing properties and is considered an antivenom.

7) I keep Red Raspberry leaf tea and Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula on hand for stomach bugs.

I've written about these things extensively in other threads, so do a search.

Two OTC meds that I also keep on hand are Benadryl and Mucinex. I keep Benadryl in all my kits. They have expiration dates.

Some people store various antibiotics to keep their fish healthy--Fish Meds. You'll have to find out about that elsewhere.

3. lopie

lopie Tracker

Blog Posts:
  4. lopie

lopie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    so it can be used as part of food preservation somehow?

5. lodge camper

lodge camper Guide

Blog Posts:
    #3 on harper's list, above, would be my go-to.

Harper, lopie and Metaldog like this.
  6. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
    From Harper's list above, I have Oil of Oregano and Colloidal Silver on hand at all times. I also keep Tea Tree Oil on hand. My "Social Director" bought a 50# bag of Diatomaceous Earth not long ago. We primarily give it to our dogs as a worm preventative. I also keep a small bottle of Hand Sanitizer in my "go bag". And, we periodically rotate small amounts of bulk horehound, licorice root, rose hips, camomile, boneset, ginger root, and sassafras herbs for making teas.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Harper and lopie like this.
  7. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I don't know.

It doesn't taste very good.

I don't remember the context of that quote, but I think that what I was saying was that the Oregano Oil itself wouldn't go rancid like foods which had fat in them.

lopie likes this.
  8. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Since the OP asked about parasites, I thought that it would be a good place to list some herbs and spices which have traditonally been used to deal with the issue. These won't store forever like Oregano Oil though. Usually, as herbs/spices get older, they lose their strength and you need to take more of them. If they lose their distinctive odors, you might as well just throw them away.

1. Wormwood. Guess how it got its name.
    2. Green hulls of Black Walnut.
    3. Garlic.
    4. Clove. Clove Oil can store indefinitely like Oregano Oil. It is probably the best thing out there if you have a toothache and can't get to a dentist (Oregano Oil is a close number two).
    5. Cucumber seeds.
    6. Raw Pumpkin seeds.
    7. Turmeric. One of my personal favorites. It helps with so many things. In my opinion, it is the single best thing that (most) people can take for their long term health.
    8. Ginger.
    9. Cayenne. Another favorite of mine.
    10. Hazelnut.
    11. Watermelon seeds.
    12. Thyme.
    13. Green Onions.
    14. Horseradish.
    15. Papaya.
    16. Cinnamon.

Certain of the herbs/spices above are more effective against certain types of parasites than others.

It is important to get a lot of sleep when dealing with parasites. You also want to avoid sugar in all its forms: grains, sugar, honey and sweet fruit. Pork and sushi are two potential sources of parasites. Don't feed the bugs! Also, if available, you want to take probiotics.

Do your due diligence, etc.

Gumbi and lopie like this.
  9. lopie

lopie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i was just thinking that if OoO is antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiparasitical and that's the crap in contaminated water you want to filter/boil out, then maybe OoO could be used to make water potable? If not on its own, then maybe in conjunction with other methods for improved safety?

10. Harper

Blog Posts:

I have heard about using it for water purification, but I haven't peronally used it for that purpose.

Keep in mind that while it could kill organics, it won't take care of the inorganics--you would still need a filter. Also, it tastes pretty bad.

But if I was drinking questionable water, I would cetainly take OoO in some form--if I had it.

In a similar vein, you could put a few drops into a spray bottle of water or detergent for use as a cleaning product.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Gumbi likes this.
  11. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    My family doesn't eat garden slugs or tide pods. Not a "prepper", just what we keep on hand. Bleach, and white vinegar cover anti bacteria's on surfaces in our house when needed. Organic Apple Cider vinegar for many ailments. IE; Lets say someone ate from a feces contaminated fast food place(MD's, BK,ect) and gets sick. ACV or couple glasses of wine , or 100 proof schnapps will definitely help. Along with ginger maybe. I haven't used it yet but we have a few bottles of colloidal silver. For now if we can't solve it we go to the Dr..Prevention is always the best medicine imho.
    In the middle ages people ate rotten meat and I'm sure they had many food related illness. But the populations consumed large quantities of wine which killed bacteria in the gut. Also garlic which has anti biotic properties. Clean water was generally not the case, food spoilage and poor hygiene made for a short life span.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Harper likes this.