Primary Survival Gear Carrier with all the Stuff

Discussion in '5col Survival Supply' started by andy.t, Aug 9, 2017.

1. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I am really excited! I just ordered on Ebay an Air Warrior PSGC Vest with most/all of the widgets included. For several weeks now I've been getting familiar with the ins and outs and identifying the suppliers for all the different pieces of this puzzle. Part of that includes staring intently at Ebay photos. Today I jumped on Ebay and found one for sale by a surplus guy right here in NC. I asked Mrs. 5col if we had money in the budget for "product research." She said yes (she also rolled her eyes), and I ran out the door before she could change her mind.

Normally I wouldn't buy surplus load-bearing gear like vests or pouches for myself. Camo gear is usually not my cup of tea. Also, I try to limit the number of bags and pouches that I carry for weight reasons, so modular gear doesn't do it for me. But this particular setup includes most of the survival, first aid, and signal components. This is important because I've been wanting to get my hands on the signal and first aid platforms for a while now, and the ones in this particular setup appear to still have the components attached by dummy cord to the platforms.

It's a pretty good value just for the gear alone, not even considering the product research angle. The compass, tourniquet, and strobe would cost well over $100 retail to buy new, not to mention all the other components plus the vest and pouches. This whole rig cost me just $200 plus a few bucks in shipping.

Here are the Ebay pictures:

Front of vest.
    [​IMG]

Back of vest.
    [​IMG]

Survival Kit components (specifically the paracord package. Not sure what else we're looking at here.
    [​IMG]

Combat Application Tourniquet in pouch.
    [​IMG]

Showing the Signal and First Aid Platforms.
    [​IMG]

Signal Platform with Compass.
    [​IMG]

First Aid Platform. In a perfect world, this platform will fit the main pocket of an HPG Kit Bag. What are the chances?
    [​IMG]

When this gets here, I will carefully unpack, photograph, and list the contents for you guys to see. This feels like waiting for Christmas. I sell a lot of the items in this vest, and my whole professional life is survival gear. You would think this stuff would bore me to tears, but I am so excited about this I can't stand it.

RavenLoon, alukban, Fretful7 and 15 others like this.
  2. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's really neat- I'm excited for you! I'm intrigued by the notion of a survival vest, but oriented more towards a wool or canvas/waxed canvas product and not "modular" (definitely not camo). Something like this:

upload_2017-8-9_15-52-45.png
    Photo nipped from the Cabela's website

Rather than slinging a shoulder bag or back/fanny pack.

3. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    5.11 makes a similar vest that is designed for concealed carry, and so has a lot of useful pockets.

I like HPG Kit Bags for this purpose. I don't carry a pistol in mine, so the pistol compartment offers a lot of additional storage capability. It would be amazing if the first aid platform from this PSGC fits well in there. Fingers crossed.

rsnurkle and Winterhorse like this.
  4. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    i dig it! when it gets here take it for a hike and overnighter. There fun. I have the previous version, the AIR ACE vest/kit.

Looks like one of the small items is a mag. bar the typical doan military issue firestarter.

5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice setup!

andy.t likes this.
  6. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have considered this many times but never pulled the trigger. My main issue was always. Carry of container and carry of kabar kukri machete because obviously you cant contain that within the vest readily. Unless i make a pouch on the bottom back for the container ie kleen kanteen or naglene and sonething for the kabar. Also i prefer my kit to be a close fit but somehow needs to fit over my winter loadout with the same snugness unless i add some cinch straps

andy.t likes this.
  7. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I think this one has a Spark-Lite attached to the First Aid platform, but I can't tell for sure. We'll find out soon enough.

8. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Filson waxed "Tin Cloth" hunting vest, with wrap around game bag. This is my day "bag", with emergency overnight supplies all in this vest. That includes a 40oz Kleen Kanteen, grabber space blanket, sol escape bivy, ferro rod and fire kit, some food, mule tape, cording, compass, map, gloves, phone. Even with all that there is still lots of space in this vest. Chopper, saw and foraging bag on my belt.

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1066.JPG IMG_1067.JPG

9. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    neat- be curious to see exactly what's in it :)

andy.t likes this.
  10. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome stuff. I've been leaning towards putting together a similar kit. 11 backpacks is enough, it's time to deck out a vest.

andy.t and chndlr04 like this.
  11. grizz78

grizz78 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have and use this vest from Cabelas for electrical work. Tons of pockets

chndlr04 and andy.t like this.
  12. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's pretty cool! I love military surplus gear like that. You know it will last forever.

I use a dark green turkey hunter's vest. Plenty of pockets for similar gear, plus the drop down seat panel is great for sitting on wet or snow covered ground. I bought mine from Bass Pro Shops but just about any outdoor gear store will stock them.

Steve

andy.t and Fat Old Man like this.
  13. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might look at something like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/142006421000?chn=ps&dispItem=1

They seem plentiful on the surplus market. I EDC one in my bag. Its as sturdy as the USGI stuff, just more compact.

Edit: You would have to make your own cooking lid, though...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    andy.t likes this.
  14. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The vest arrived! With the various pouches and contents, its total weight comes to 8 lbs 10 oz. I will start posting pics as soon as I can eat some tacos and the pictures finish transferring to my computer.

Huey and chndlr04 like this.
  15. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I'm going to start posting pics. I'll share what I know, and I'll include links to products in our store where applicable. For your convenience, of course.

Camo pattern for the whole setup is ACU, by the way.

First pic shows four items that were loose in the box. Aside from the carabiner, I'm not sure about their roles in the system. At top is the Blower Pouch. I googled the pouch and ordinarily it holds part of a gas mask system. I'm not sure what its role is in the Air Warrior system.

The carabiner, I believe, is for the vest's role in aerial rescues. It is a non-locking aluminum carabiner. We sell a similar size from AustriAlpin that is steel with a 3-way autolocking gate. I'm a little surprised that this aluminum carabiner is suitable for rescue work, since it doesn't lock, but this is outside my area of expertise (like the blower pouch).

Also pictured are two MOLLE adapter panels.
    IMG_0631.JPG

Huey likes this.
  16. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the full vest. No Personal Flotation Device was included, sadly. That would normally go around the collar of the vest.

IMG_0636.JPG

Here's the radio pouch. Of course the vest didn't include a military radio. The dummy cord is there, though. All the dummy cord is Type 1A parachute cord, with a yellow marker strand.

IMG_0632.JPG

A bit of weirdness here. This is the Tourniquet pouch, according to the sewn in tag. The only tourniquet that would fit this pouch is a TK4. We sell the old style of the TK4, for the moment. I saw a NAVSEA evaluation where they said the risk of catastrophic failure with the old version was so high that their medics weren't allowed to apply the tourniquet during the evaluation unless they wore eye protection. Anyhoo, there was no tourniquet in this pouch because....

IMG_0633.JPG

The Combat Application Tourniquet (not a TK4) was in this upside-down pouch near the collar. The CAT is an excellent tourniquet, but is too long for the pouch labelled "tourniquet." It's in a pouch labelled something like "multi-purpose" that would probably be decent for pistol magazines. We don't currently sell the CAT, but we do sell the SOF-T, a comparable windlass-style tourniquet from Tactical Medical Solutions. @Medic17 is running an excellent passaround right now with a bunch of different styles of tourniquet. Here's the thread for that. I was lucky enough to participate and found it very helpful.

IMG_0635.JPG

Medic17 and Huey like this.
  17. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very cool, you gotta love Christmas in August, and just in time for the eclipse!

andy.t likes this.
  18. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This vest has a whopping four AustriAlpin Cobra Buckles. I am proud to say that we sell these excellent buckles, although not with this finish. The vest uses them because of its role in aerial rescues. The one here is part of the thigh-strap assembly, and has a pad behind it to protect the wearer. Cobra buckles are guaranteed not to open under load, and the military uses the heck out of them for everything from personal gear to cargo tie-downs.

IMG_0637.JPG

The vest has a YKK zip closure. You can see that here. It's the one with the ball on the zipper pull. You can also see the zippers for the two internal compartments (on either side of the main zipper). The zipper pulls appear to be Type 2A parachute cord, again with the yellow marker strand. If you're into Type 2A parachute cord, you'll be thrilled to know that it's available here on our site. It's the outer sheath from Type 3 or Type 4 parachute cord, but without the filler strands. It's good for things like zipper pulls and the stitiching on baseball gloves, but it's not my favorite type of parachute cord. Every year we sell 4000' of it to an aerospace company in Florida. I have no clue what they do with it.

IMG_0639.JPG

Inside the zip closure on the front of the vest are two more Cobra buckles, since the zipper wouldn't be strong enough to hold the harness closed on its own. Pictured here are the female side of those buckles, as well as amazing amount of load-bearing webbing that reinforces the vest. The webbing also has a yellow marker strand, and that surprises me because we haven't found a factory that braids both webbing and parachute cord. There was a guy on here a long time ago called Thag who did a ton of research on this sort of thing. According to his blog, the yellow marker strand corresponds to a company called United Stretch Design.

In the top righthand corner of this picture, you can see a loop. There is a similar loop on the lefthand side of the vest. This may be where the carabiner would be attached for rescue purposes.

IMG_0641.JPG

There are a number of places where excess webbing is secured with keepers like so. This vest is supposed to accommodate the 5-95 percentile of militarily acceptable body sizes. A friend of mine from high school flies Chinooks and must be at least 6'-4". Even in good shape, he's such a big guy that he must be approaching the top end of this spectrum.

IMG_0643.JPG

Huey likes this.
  19. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I can't remember what I was trying to show with this picture, but maybe you'll find something you wanted to see.

IMG_0644.JPG

Enough straps and buckles. Let's see what's inside!

Opening the exterior survival kit pouch. It will quickly become clear that almost all of the items in this kit are secured to the vest with dummy cords. In most cases they attach to a tab in a pouch or platform on one side, and to the plastic packaging on the other side. Type 1A parachute cord is used for all of these dummy cords. Securing the contents this way means they can't be lost or accidentally left behind due to urgent movement or medical conditions causing cognitive interference like concussions or hypothermia.

You can see the little pouch of Type 3 parachute cord here.

IMG_0645.JPG

Here's the label on the Type 3 parachute cord pouch. The label includes some suggested uses. I am as alarmed as you are that they don't suggest using the cord to make a bracelet.

I don't mention it very often, but we are a great source for proper mil-spec parachute cord. Type 3 cord is here on our site.

IMG_0648.JPG

@Howie was right, when he posted up above about the vest including a Doan-style magnesium bar. Here it is.

IMG_0649.JPG

Back side of the magnesium firestarter bar. We don't sell the Doan's mag bar, but we do sell one the Coghlan's magnesium fire starter. We suspect that Doan's manufactures this for Coghlan's as a private label product.

IMG_0650.JPG

Huey likes this.
  20. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the little miscellaneous survival items packet. It includes a 2' x 2' piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, 3" x 5" Moleskin, 6 Safety Pins, and a Half Sponge, Cellulose Type II.

A lot of these vests were assembled by BAE Systems, and I think it's interesting that they used Food Saver packaging for the job. It's a really logical choice, but somehow I expected something different.

IMG_0651.JPG

Back side of that packet. I think we're looking at the sponge here.

IMG_0652.JPG

Time to get into the vest's main integral compartments. Here I'm holding open the vest's compartment on the user's left side. Inside you can see the First Aid Platform, which is held in place by some webbing that snaps in place.

IMG_0653.JPG

Huey likes this.
  21. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Good news, everyone! The next few pictures are bigger and show more detail.

Here's the First Aid Platform, removed from the vest's integral left-hand pocket.

IMG_0654.JPG

Here's the compressed wound dressing from the left side of the First Aid Platform. I should mention that the dummy cords also keep the kit contents from being lost overboard if the aircrew member is in a liferaft (or in the water).

IMG_0655.JPG

The min duct tape roll from the top of the first aid platform. If it's like our Mini Duct Tape Rolls, it's 2" x 50".

IMG_0656.JPG

Just showing how they looped the dummy cord through the duct tape roll. Duct tape is not ideal for first aid applications, but it's better than nothing. The first aid components on this vest add up to a pretty solid blowout kit, so I think the duct tape is just as much for gear repair and misc. uses as it is for first aid.

IMG_0657.JPG

Combat Trauma Wrap packet. This is the packet in the middle on the First Aid Platform.

IMG_0658.JPG

Back side of the Combat Trauma Wrap packet.

IMG_0659.JPG

Huey likes this.
  22. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This packet is on the righthand side of the First Aid Platform. Interestingly, it was not dummy corded in place. There are other components in the vest that have expiration dates, but this packet is one that probably needs to be checked most often. Maybe that's why it wasn't tied in. Contents list:
    Doxycyclinehyciate Capsules (10)
    Tylenol Capsules (10)
    Imodium Capsules (10)
    Bacitracin Opthalmic Ointment (2 tubes)

Doxycycline is a pretty common antibiotic, but I think it's ordinarily prescription-only. I'm kind of surprised that it's still in here. Notably absent: amphetamines and opioids. I think those are often included in these kits when new, but by the time they reach someone like me they've been stripped out, one way or another.

IMG_0660.JPG

Also on the First Aid Platform in the top righthand corner is a Spark-Lite firestarter kit. This will contain a spark-wheel and 8 TinderQuik tabs, which are compressed treated cotton tabs that easily take a spark and burn for at least a minute.

IMG_0683.JPG

The back side of the First Aid Platform has a zipper pocket that contained a Thin Cinch ABD Compression Bandage. I am not familiar with this particular product, but I see a steel S-hook that may be intended as a pressure bar. The vest's age suggests to me that the Thin Cinch may be H and H's predecessor to the H Bandage, a product comparable to the Israeli Bandage or Olaes Bandage. I'm speculating here, and there are folks on BCUSA who have way more knowledge than I have that may be able to set me straight.

In this picture you can also see the inspection tag, that includes the NSN, notes, inspection date, initials, etc. Note that it says, "No Doxy." On the medication package it listed the expiration date of the Doxycycline as "short." I haven't opened any of the packets, so I can't say if the Doxycycline is still in there, or if they simply removed it when it expired.

IMG_0661.JPG

Huey likes this.
  23. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Let's move on to the Signal Platform. It's similar to the First Aid Platform, but not as wide. It's stored in the integral pocket on the opposite side of the vest.

IMG_0662.JPG

Fuzzy picture attempting to show the small pocket on the front of this larger pocket, underneath the retention strap.

IMG_0663.JPG

This is the mystery cardboard package. When I saw this on Ebay I had unreasonable hopes that this might include a pocket flare launcher, even though that would probably a violation of some ebay policy and possibly illegal to ship.

IMG_0664.JPG

But no, the label indicates that it's a signal mirror. The packaging seems large for a signal mirror.

IMG_0665.JPG

This mirror is a hoss! We sell several different types of signal mirror, but nothing like this. This mirror is the size of an iPhone, but heavier. They printing on here suggests that it was old stock, so maybe the DLA had a bunch of these in stock that they decided to incorporate in the vests to cut costs. I will look up the details on here later to see if I can learn more about these.

IMG_0666.JPG

Here's the reflective side of the mirror, and you can see that it's bigger than the palm of my hand.

IMG_0667.JPG

It's pretty thick, too. Here's the side view.

IMG_0669.JPG

Huey likes this.
  24. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great write up, thanks.

I know exactly what you mean! :)

andy.t likes this.
  25. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:

andy.t likes this.
  26. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the strobe. It doesn't seem to have a flashlight function. The batteries in it are still good.

IMG_0670.JPG

The shield on top of the strobe slides up and then hinges over for the visible strobe. If you only want infrared (not visible light), you keep the shield in place. I tried to get a picture of the strobe flashing, but couldn't make it work.

IMG_0671.JPG

Here's the signal whistle. It has a cork ball to make the coach's whistle sound. This was interesting to me because SOLAS requires whistles to be pealess. The Fox 40 whistle we sell is pealess, for instance. Obviously the military does its own thing and SOLAS requirements are totally separate from military requirements. I kind of wonder if the military didn't set a very specific requirement for whistles, and this particular type was the cheapest whistle that complied with the Berry Amendment.

IMG_0673.JPG

There's the little cork ball.

IMG_0674.JPG

The whistle in its little pocket.

IMG_0676.JPG

Huey likes this.
  27. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The Cammenga 3H Tritium Lensatic Compass in its pouch.

IMG_0677.JPG

The stamp on the back side of the compass. This is how you know it's a military compass. Cammenga manufactures exactly the same compass for the civilian market, but they stamp the civilian compasses differently so that there's no crossover between the military compasses and civilian compasses. We sell the civilian version. They're good compasses.

IMG_0678.JPG

Inside the compass. The stamp indicates that this compass was manufactured in 2003, February, and was lot number 04. A lot of people read these stamps incorrectly. Most civilian compasses will have lot number 77. That's a generic lot number used in compasses produced for the civilian market, but a lot of people misinterpret it to mean that the compass was made in 1977.

The tritium in the compass needle has a half life of 12 years and loses most of its luminescence during those 12 years. Because of its age, this one probably can only be used with a flash light in low light conditions, but it's still an excellent compass.

IMG_0679.JPG

The back side of the Signal Platform.

IMG_0680.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Huey likes this.
  28. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This is the back side of the First Aid Platform.

IMG_0681.JPG

Huey likes this.
  29. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here's the front side of the First Aid Platform when empty. I like it.

IMG_0687.JPG

Huey likes this.
  30. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    These are the Cobra buckles inside the front zipper on the vest.

IMG_0682.JPG

Inside the zippered pocket on the First Aid Platform.

IMG_0688.JPG

31. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    One of the things I was wondering was whether the First Aid Platform would fit inside the pistol compartment on a Kit Bag from Hill People Gear. It fits nearly perfectly....

IMG_0684.JPG

It's a little bit stiff the last bit of the way. For me this wouldn't be a problem, but some folks might be frustrated with this.

IMG_0685.JPG

I think this is a good stopping place for tonight. If anyone has any questions, or wants me to zoom in on some part of the setup, just say the word.

T MAC likes this.
  32. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That's actually the video that got me interested in buying this vest. Check out the difference between the signal mirror in his version and the one in mine. Mine is huge, and it feels like a brick!

33. danpass

danpass Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the smaller version of the SI Howard mirror. Those things are legit! The glass mirrors are so much 'brighter' than the plastic designs.

andy.t likes this.
  34. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm googline it right now, and ran across this video of someone signalling with one of these from 44 miles away.

Howie likes this.
  35. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    This site shows the different pouches, vest, etc. that are included with the full setup. Mine didn't include the M4 Magazine pouch, tethers, or extraction strap. And of course it didn't include the PFD components.