Primitive Pottery

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by OrienM, Sep 29, 2018.

1. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few pics from this morning's project, something I've never tried before: pit-firing primitive pottery. Miraculously, all three test pieces survived the firing!

pottery1.jpg

The clay was dug a few weeks ago, processed to remove twigs and gravel, then molded into simple pinch pots and left to dry. Nothing very fancy or well-finished; mostly, I just wanted to see if the clay would stand the fire without exploding.

For today's firing, a pit was dug and a small fire was built. The pots were preheated next to the fire for a half hour or so; once they got good and hot they were pushed in using a stick, and buried in the hot coals. A good-sized campfire was built on top, and kept burning for about an hour. After the last batch of wood burned down to coals I shoveled dirt on top, and left it all to cool for a couple hours before returning to dig the fired pottery back up.

pottery2.jpg

pottery3.jpg

I'm still finding it pretty amazing that heat transforms plain old mud into something so durable...:eek::)

I'll likely be doing a few more pottery experiments in coming weeks...I'm hoping to teach simple pottery-making to my high school primitive skills class, sometime later this fall. This clay source is actually in the school driveway, lol...it should be possible to pit-fire their finished work right there at the school as well, which will be fun (and memorable) for the kids.

Thanks for looking!
    -Orien

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  2. JKR

JKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man, that is terrific! Keep it up!

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome work!
    Is the one an oil lamp?

4. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Guide

Blog Posts:
  5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A fine job young fellar. joe

6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just outstanding! Good for you.

I have a few pot shards from long ago. They are decorated with simple scratched in decoration. You might consider letting them do that too.
    I will find a pic or two from the net...

Example from the net:

3ABFBBC0-C466-4216-B364-8A013C44B62C.jpeg

Simple decorations.

And a real shard of similar design:

AF80209C-23F8-4751-B859-EE6C8269CBE0.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  7. DrHuman

DrHuman Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    That is super cool. I've been hoping to see some pit firings on here. Your pieces turned out great. I've dug up some clay to make my coffee cup. Now that fire season is over here I should finally fire it.

8. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks y'all! Much appreciated...I'm pretty excited the pots turned out! I was fully expecting a pit full of broken sherds, lol...:D

Yeah, an old-school lamp that burns cooking oil. I'm a bit concerned the oil will eventually soak through the unglazed pottery, but it hasn't so far.

Excellent...thanks for the great suggestion! Scratched-in decoration should be fairly quick and easy to do, and it looks great, too. I'm pretty fascinated with some of the ancient Puebloan slipped-and-burnished ware found around here, but I suspect that the process is a bit too elaborate to do in class (I may attempt a few pieces on my own, though...)

Awesome! I encourage you to go for it...I was shocked how simple the process was, really.

9. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like those. I’d like to see your students work too.

10. NattyBo

NattyBo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another cool decoration with a practical application was done by the eastern woodlands N.A. They would press their cordage onto the pots leaving an imprint. It looks cool and from what I've read also increased surface area to decrease cooking time.

11. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome work! I haven’t made any pots in quiet some time but here’s a few of mine from the past year or two. Any pots that break in the firing can be ground down and used as temper in future pots.
    05B77869-6FEB-480B-BBF4-2239E5E6C5DD.jpeg
    579151E0-328D-4CA5-874B-205E79EB814C.jpeg
    53F4D035-A6AB-4885-A471-8755F6FEE794.jpeg
    758C1DED-A024-4BD6-961A-C0D0C8290701.jpeg
    5506D258-3516-4F94-9889-0EC13A38E3AF.jpeg
    6DF6D48E-CB81-4092-A661-9D8CD5EFA03C.jpeg
    8C018E4B-AFFF-42EC-8F15-C045CB2FCE61.jpeg

12. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice. I got interested in pottery after seeing. "Primitive technologies" on YouTube. One video that really got me going. Was a clay smelter/forge. They mixed straw into the clay. The idea is it burns away when it's fired first time. Leaves voids that lets it expand and contract under extreme heat.
    Cheers Jim

13. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Lots of awesome stuff there, thanks for posting. Really liking those coiled pots...the animal figures are great too.

14. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bump for a few pics...I headed up the arroyo by my house this morning to look for native clay.
    IMG_20181006_093533947.jpg

Many layers get exposed in these eroded cutbanks, including some deposits of what seems to be very fine-grained clay.
    IMG_20181006_095333552.jpg

It felt slippery and showed good plasticity when wet, so I dug a shopping bag full.
    IMG_20181006_095108554.jpg

I brought it home and 'wet processed' the raw clay using two buckets and a screen, basically pouring off the suspended clay water while the sand, etc settle to the bottom of the bucket, and organic debris are screened off the top. I learned about the method here: http://www.andywardpottery.com/2015/10/finding-and-processing-native-clay/
    IMG_20181006_104432733_HDR.jpg

After more settling, I should be able to carefully pour off most of the water, then dump the processed clay into a cloth bag and hang it up to dry a bit more. The result should be workable clay, which will then need to be test fired before I proceed further.

Fun stuff...:)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  15. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Nice work! those look great what a great project OM, thanks for posting.

Winterhorse, OrienM and NevadaBlue like this.
  16. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Excellent looking clay, you may find you need some grog or sand though. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Winterhorse and OrienM like this.
  17. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks gents! :)

A couple more pics from today:

The clay is now in the bag, drying out:
    IMG_20181006_144634423.jpg

A tiny pot, maybe 1" across, which will be my first firing test. Just plain clay as processed above, no temper added (yet). I burnished the outside and painted the inside with red slip, and even ended up painting a simple pattern on the outside after this pic was taken. It will be interesting to see how it fires.
    IMG_20181006_155249251.jpg

Actually seems a bit on the sandy side already...I can see little flecks of mica in there, too. It seems workable, anyhow, and my little pot dried quickly without cracking, which I guess is a good sign. If it seems to need it I'll try adding some ground lava stone or pot sherds to the mix, or perhaps add a little prickly pear juice as a binder.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    COOL! It does sound like a good mix.

OrienM likes this.
  19. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool project. It would be fun to play around with this. Alas, I know of no sources for natural clay in my area.

NevadaBlue, Winterhorse and OrienM like this.
  20. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    From what I understand the markings are decorative to non-Natives but to the makers they tell a story of some sort. Thick, thin, long and short lines and their positions are some sort of writing or code which tells a story or family history

NevadaBlue, Winterhorse and OrienM like this.
  21. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bad luck firing the little pot last night...I made a little kiln out of a food can in my blacksmithing forge, and fired the pot in it for an hour or so. It got red-hot, but failed to harden properly; after cooling it broke in half from casual handling, and I was able to crush a chunk of it into dust with just finger pressure. Too bad! I'll try again with a longer firing, maybe right in the coals this time.

PS: yes, it had already dried all the way to bone-dry in like 3 hours, lol. Good ol' desert climate, plus the tiny size of the piece helped too.

22. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've heard an awful lot of Pueblo artists refer to pottery painting as 'telling a story'....I suspect there's a lot of info embedded in there. I know the general idea behind a couple of the motifs, but that's about it.

23. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Opened up my bag o' clay to take a look...still too wet. I added in some prickly pear gel, kneaded the clay ball a bit, and wrapped it back up to dry some more. The texture of the ball was interesting; sand particles had moved to the outside as water drained out, and left a core of finer-grained clay in the middle.

I kept another little sample to play with, which is currently drying to a more workable consistency out on my porch. Sure hope I can figure out how to fire this stuff!

IMG_20181007_103918849-1.jpg

24. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Grinding some chunks of broken pottery for temper...the clay seems a lot sticker after being thoroughly mixed.

IMG_20181007_112625764.jpg

By the way, the pottery I'm grinding is a piece of the oil lamp shown in the OP :(...the oil did eventually soak through the unglazed clay. The handle was the only part that wasn't totally saturated! At least it can still serve a purpose, by being recycled into grog for a new pot.

25. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know Andy personally, he came to my archaeology field school in 2015 and demonstrated primitive pottery production. He’s a great guy and I have learned a ton from him.

As for the pottery grinding, I know the feeling, most likely then fire wasn’t hot enough. Which usually means not enough air to get the pots glowing cherry red. Try elevating the pots so the fire engulfs them from all angles and increase the air flow. I usually stack mine up on top each other in a pile. Very curious to see how the prickly pear gel works out!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  26. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great stuff. We have red, blue and even yellow clay here, between a little topsoil and a deep layer of limestone. Maybe I'm crazy, but I am completely enthusiastic about digging post holes just to see what is in them (and because we need fences). We found a neat stalactite (or -mite? hard to say) in one hole, and several in a row in a different location were filled with gravel, possibly an old streambed. And nautilus fossils, etc., but that's off on a tangent. Can any color clay be used and will it still be visible after firing?

The only thing I've done with my (red) clay practically was line a small forge, but it worked so well for that, considering I was makintg it up as I went along, that I would like to make bricks and pots sometime.

27. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    In my experience not really, red or iron rich clays often fire red/tan/brown/orange or yellow in an oxidation firing. Blue/Gray clays I have fired in a reduction firing turn light gray or white. It’s all about the chemical make up and amount of oxygen they receive in the firing.

You should make identical disks or pinch pots from the colors you have and test fire them. Compare before and after.

28. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Have you done a test on the clay? Put a piece in a jar and fill the jar with water. Shake it up until it is all dissolved and let it settle. The sand/silt/clay will separate in layers.

Like so:

09B2A36D-A538-47D4-8AFA-887C3DCC6605.jpeg

Google ‘water clay test’ if you aren’t familiar with it.
    [​IMG]

29. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    OrienM, sounds like it’s the paste (clay) itself to me. Try gathering it from a spot with less water flow or dig further/deeper into the arroyo for the next batch. I usually find the best clay under a cap rock.

5FD5122E-E253-44A9-99BF-8F4A34623D5D.jpeg

30. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suspect you're right, but (having made a few odds and ends with it already), I'll probably try firing them to make sure. I collected more of the clay from school, which I know fires up OK, and I'll be keeping my eye out for other deposits. I am definitely enjoying the search...I never paid quite this much attention to soil composition before, lol.

Boy, he sure makes some stunning stuff! Excellent web site, too. That Salado polychrome ware he replicates is some of my very favorite prehistoric pottery. I'd love to attend one of Andy's workshops; he actually taught one here in my hometown a few years back.

31. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    39E7F43C-6150-4135-9F6E-B598BBB48777.jpeg I know, once you get an eye for clay it’s addictive. Best part of the long drives for work is seeing/collecting all the clays I can. It’s an awesome feeling turning something truly raw into a work of value and art. Keep it going and keep your experiments up. Here’s a slab I picked up for rolling coils and building on. I ground it down flat in the lake below.

32. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yup, the roadcuts become a lot more interesting; I've taken to keeping plastic bags and a little shovel in the car :p

I recently collected some terracotta-looking clay (heavy on the sand, as most of it seems to be around here) and diatomaceous earth for temper. Some cactus pads for gel, too.
    pottery5.jpg

A pot from processed schoolyard clay...this has now been red-slipped and burnished on the inside.
    pottery4.jpg

33. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    great thread and work!

NevadaBlue and OrienM like this.
  34. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    Keeping at it...the latest batch of clay turned out to be particularly workable. :dblthumb:

I've started on a set of "Mogollon-style" corrugated coffee mugs; they're turning out to be nice items to practice hand-building with, small but fairly detailed. If they survive the fire, I'll give them away for Christmas gifts.
    IMG_20181019_132318291.jpg

35. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
  36. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seriously, why is this not under primitive skills. Its a primitive skill not some "other" no category skill.

clanmaki and NevadaBlue like this.
  37. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding work OrienM! You have made a major technilogical leap with the corrugated pottery. Handle looks near perfect. You make stoneware pots too?

Medicine maker likes this.