Processing Pine Pitch

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by CountryRoots, Mar 18, 2019.

1. CountryRoots

CountryRoots Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve searched the forum, but didn’t see this exact topic addressed... how do I process pine pitch for making salves or other “medicinal” type products?

Here in Michigan there are plenty of pine trees and, with them, lots of pitch. Yesterday I harvested quite a few chunks that were formed around some... pine beetle larvae???
    9F7E730B-8505-4A00-8237-204B81260F2F.jpeg

A4965E18-D5E4-41D6-8271-6047EC6CD60D.jpeg

Now how do I strain out all the sticks, leaves, etc? Last time I think I added water, brought it to a boil and let the solids settle to the bottom, but there has to be a better way!

Thanks in advance!

rsnurkle, RavenLoon and NevadaBlue like this.
  2. beestokk

beestokk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From what I've read one way is to use a double boiler and boil it down, then strain it through a sifter of some sort, then you've got the remaining clean pitch/resin that will harden and can be heated up to use as needed later on. I haven't done this myself though and am a novice when it comes to pitch and it's uses/techniques, but that's my basic understanding of one way. I'm sure others will have more helpful information!

rsnurkle and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am sure I saw a thread on making pine salve. So far I haven’t refined any. Looks like melting and straining will do it though.
    To make ‘tar’ it looks like it is burned essentially, cooking off the turpentine. I won’t be doing that. I did use some right from the tree for glue and it works.

rsnurkle, colrbh and CampCowan like this.
  4. colrbh

colrbh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used 2 Campbell soup cans. Take one clean can and use a small nail and poke your holes in the bottom,making it a strainer, fill it with your pitch.Sit it atop the other clean can and heat. The needles,bugs,and bark bits will stay in the top can. I'm making tar,so i"m waiting to find some vegetation that has been naturally recycled.. :)

NevadaBlue likes this.
  5. Lode

Lode towel in

Blog Posts:
    This is my method... I've since adopted building a brick type reflector/oven behind it and over the top from the fire so that it's more efficient.

A few notes... be super careful when you're removing it from the fire as to not spill it. It'll immediately ignite in its liquid state before cooling if exposed to any flames at all. That goes for splashes onto clothing and skin for contact burning just from temperature alone. I've even gone so far as to just let it set until the next day to retrieve it after it's cool and hardened up so not even tempt a messy situation.

6. CountryRoots

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I figured that out myself, somehow :3:. I like the built in strainer, but I’m not sure I have the right setup right now to do that...

Great, now you’ve got me thinking! I’m thinking of opening a nice can of peaches half way, eating them... punch holes in the side of the can (so it will strain where I didn’t remove the lid) and melting my pitch in that container in a double boiler over my alcohol pop can stove...

I just might have to post that to YouTube...if it works!

7. CountryRoots

Blog Posts:
    I know, I just commented on it last night... but I already know the recipe. I’m specifically wanting to know how to strain the pitch so I can make the salve and other things in the future.

That said, the salve really is great stuff! I even used it for deodorant for a while, till my wife could run to the store and get some... it worked! It also makes great lip balm... just keep track of what you use for what!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019