Prospecting

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by lchavezmisc, Jun 6, 2015.

1. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any fellow gold prospectors out there? Yes this counts as bushcraft.....all of my gear and skills get used while out prospecting for gold. I find myself in some rough country trying to find the elusive color.

LarryB likes this.
  2. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  3. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cool trip report, I get all itchy to get out just looking at the pics:) I got rained out this weekend for dry washing in AZ......rain in the desert in June, go figure.

4. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a fun way to pass the time, I've always wanted to try it.

5. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Many years back when I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, a buddy and I would hit Orogrande Nm on the BLM land. Many claims there. Moved allot of dirt and found some nice color. Did the same up in the White Oaks area of NM as well.

6. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I worked for years as an underground hardrockminer. Did actually very little hobby prospecting.

7. backpackfisher

backpackfisher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi there,

Well yeah im still doing the trick, next week i will be driving to switzerland to find me and my buddy some Gold!

Cheers.

Ben

8. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not a prospector in the true sense but a hobbyist, I always have a plastic gold pan and my White's coin detector in my vehicle so where ever I am they're available for interesting sites. I spend a lot of time on the Swift River area of Western Maine with my Gold pan and the coin detector is usually with me on canoe and sail camping trips to coastal islands.

LarryB likes this.
  9. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
  10. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Always wanted to give panning a try. I am thinking of relocating out west as well.

11. ki4iwd

ki4iwd Scout

Blog Posts:
    i do a little here and there. i have a small keen convertible backpack dredge. i just love it, kinda like bushcraft,camping and snorkeling all rolled into one. i have found gold in helen, Dahlonega, Chattahoochee natl forest (you can pan only here ) and in mountain city. all of which are in north GA
    [​IMG]

12. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    From this weekend. Prob the last trip for this area now that summer is here. Poked around some new spots. [​IMG][​IMG]

LarryB likes this.
  13. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I live in Wisconsin, so there ain't much gold to be found... But I've traveled a bit over my years and found gold in about 10 states or so. There is a spot about 45 minutes from my house where I always find some flour gold. Here's a pic of my daughters helping me out one day.

[​IMG]

LarryB likes this.
  14. nurse2b

nurse2b Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It looks like lots of fun. I've been looking in to buying a gold panning kit. Seriously wanting to get out there and have fun.

15. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well you certainly live in a good state for it!

16. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've fooled around with it occasionally. My dad did quite a lot, they had mining claims for years, on the side. It is a fun thing to do, if you don't need the money and it's warm out especially.

17. metsuri

metsuri Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Started years ago on the Swift River area of Maine, we absolutely had a blast and it was great family fun with the wife and kids out sluicing and panning. Then joined the GPAA and after moving to Ohio I got to go to the Mother Lode Outing in California back in '97 for a week and had a great time learning about dredging and the next summer i was fortunate enough to go to Nome for six weeks as a crew member of the dredge team on Arctic Creek. Once you get the bug it's hard to shake. Hope to get back to Alaska again some day as it was truly amazing country and it was great to be off the grid for a while. The one bad thing about living in south Texas is there is no gold down here. I would recommend prospecting to everyone, it's a great chance to spend some time in the great outdoors and hopefully you'll find some gold.

LarryB likes this.
  18. Towander

Towander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I live in So.Cal. and have had no problem finding gold. One time my buddy and I actually found a lot. Don't worry about getting really fancy with gear. Just get out! A small sluice would be perfect for starting out.

19. GoodOlBoy

GoodOlBoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done a bit of panning for gold when I was a kid. Enjoyed the heck out of it.

GoodOlBoy

20. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well it's time again here in AZ. Been out a couple of times already, but it's been an unusually wet season for AZ....poor drywashing conditions. Its great to get back out though.

21. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    There is quite a bit of gold in Georgia. It's where the gold rush started. The famous phrase "There's gold in them thar hills" is from a north Georgia politician trying to convince the locals not to go to CA.

[​IMG]

I've found quite a bit of gold in N. Georgia.

Az

22. metsuri

Blog Posts:
    I went and dug up a couple photos of the the Alaska trip.

001.jpg
    This was home for six weeks.

002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg
    Dredging on Arctic Creek.

005.jpg
    Some Gold!

23. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Put us all to shame metsuri. You were getting after it

24. metsuri

Blog Posts:
    Met some great folks that summer and learned a lot about prospecting. Hopefully some day to get back after it again.

25. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very nice!

26. FJRpilot

FJRpilot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Meat Hunter, I gotta ask. Were you stationed at WSMR? I also used to go out with a ranger training instructor who mined a couple of placer claims in Orogrande... 25-26 years ago....

27. swamperdog

swamperdog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a Garrett plastic gold panning kit with an Amazon gift card I received for Christmas. I'm looking forward to trying my luck around Georgia!

-Swamperdog

28. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did a little panning when I lived in Oregon. It is a handy skill to have.

29. MWalker

MWalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've done some gold panning, also searching out gemstones and fossils. These sorts of treasure hunts are fun and a good excuse to get out.

30. orbean

orbean Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am familiar with both areas and have found color at both. I have a claim in water canyon outside of Socorro. Great hobby, have met many fine people, and very rarely a jerk.

31. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well the excessive rain we've been getting has pushed me into a sluice system. Since we have to truck in our own water, I've set it up as a recirculating system. This is a pic when it was new. Much dirtier now since its been playing in the mud. Recovery has been much better than drywashing due to the constantly damp soil.
    [​IMG]

32. lchavezmisc

lchavezmisc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Staking a Claim: Roamer suggested that I add a thread on the subject and I thought "what a great idea!" Just recently, a few friends and I "staked a claim" so I thought I would share the experience here. Prospecting has gotten me outdoors more than any other hobby i have ever had and I never grow tired of working from sunup to sunset. Great opportunity to explore the land and get some much needed fresh air and exercise. If you are new to the hobby, I would suggest joining a local club and attending a few events before you gear up. As I am sure it has always been in history (and true today), the real money is selling all the gear to people with "gold fever" so take your time and proceed with caution:) There is a reason this metal is so valuable, it takes a hell of a lotta work to get it out of the ground. There is much more detailed information on the web about prospecting from people that have way more experience than I do. I will just be discussing my experience with prospecting and sharing some links to sites that have been helpful to me. I will update this as time allows so it may not all be in one post.

Warning: Be wary of anyone selling claims. BLM has seen many scams on claims being sold that have no valuable mineral content. BLM is trying to curb this activity, but they are very short staffed and have no real police or enforcement. BLM told me that there is no reason to buy a claim from anyone when there is so much unclaimed land available.

1st: You do not have to stake a claim to prospect. You can join an association that has claims in gold bearing regions such as GPAA.
    2nd: You can prospect on any BLM land that has not been claimed by anyone or has other restrictions. This takes research, but there is still a lot of mineral bearing unclaimed BLM land
    3rd: You can stake a claim: It is amazing how the old mining laws are still in existence today. Staking a claim gives you the mineral rights to the land only. You do not own the land, you cannot permit people from hunting, hiking or camping on the land.

Next post: Staking a Claim

33. backpackfisher

backpackfisher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great info! Keep it up buddy.

Cheers

Ben

34. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I remember going up to the a portion of the Yuba river in CA. with dad, he had a 1.5" small dredge he floated on an inner tube. The place on the river had a wire rope spanning the river that was abut 5 to 6 feet off the water and being a kid I could not reach it. I had to hold on to dads belt as the water in the river was up above my hips then. We visited that spot for many years. We never struck it rich . After not going for a few years we made a trip back up and found homes on the very site we used pan and sluice. The wire rope across the river was long gone then. Sad to see the homes right on the beach.
    I'm looking forward to prospecting all the creeks and water ways at my place of retirement in a few years up near Crescent city CA.

35. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at a gold claim for sale in n cali. It was cheap enough when i called county to as questions i wanted to stay on claim perm and they said you can only stay a total of 14 days per yr on claim i lost i trest after that i would like to set up perm on a claim in lower 48 just do t know how