Prototype In Use - Review

Discussion in 'Wilderness Spirit' started by Tech, May 2, 2016.

1. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've had this knife that Tim was generous enough to lend out for well over a month now and have put it to multiple tasks and these are my thoughts about this knife. I am by no means an expert or authority on knives, I just like using them! First impression when receiving the set up was how cool he had put it in a sealed bag. I like stuff like that, some thought into presentation can go a long way.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5535 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

Specs as listed by Tim:
    steel: O1 tool steel ,heat treated in house to 59 rc
    grind: convex
    thickness: 5/32"
    oal: 8 1/2"
    blade: 4"
    handle: brown canvas micarta with od g10 liners, brass loveless bolts with stainless steel eye
    welded pommel plate O1 tool steel
    sheath: coyote brown kydex with dangler

The knife fits snugly into the kydex sheath. No rattle as you walk around and no chance it would fall out. However, with the leather the set up tended to no go at an "angle" and I found myself adjusting it often as I moved about, on the other hand I liked the distance from my hand to the blade and ease of access because I could put my whole hand around the handle.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5558 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5559 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

The fit and finish was nice but a few gaps between the blade and liner could be seen, not a big deal on a Prototype but something I might pick at if spending my own cash.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5563 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5561 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

This was one of the sharpest convex blades that I've used. Tim did a great job on a sharp edge with a nice shine to it. Fire prep came easy and quick first time out.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5565 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5564 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5575 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

CONTINUED....

2. Tech

Blog Posts:
    I always maintain that my knives need to be tough enough to baton. I enjoy it, it's fun, and a lot of my fires depend on split wood by choice usually.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5567 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5568 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5560 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

More split wood fire making at home with some pine. The ergonomics of the handle made this process enjoyable. The handle fit my hand well. I would think guys with bigger hands would like it beefed up, but the basic shape would be pleasing to most. While working my way through the wood I thought the control was there and the knife didn't get caught up in the wood as it was beat through. Splitting the smaller pieces put the tip to the test. No problems here and the tip kept it's shape. As a note, as I was working on this portion of the review and during the process of taking this pictures I did something super stupid and suffered a deep cut so I wasn't able to complete the task fully. I contacted Tim to let him know it would be a bit longer and he said it wasn't a problem and heal up! Needless to say, the knife was still sharp at that point!
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5601 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5602 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5603 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5604 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5605 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

CONTINUED....

3. Tech

Blog Posts:
    Reminder of the "accident" haha!
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5654 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

Moving on to some finer tasks. Working on the end of an elm spindle, it's tough stuff. The knife however did a good job of getting old material off and making a new surface. I thought it did a really good job here. Sometimes I see convex knifes getting criticized for not being the best for these tasks but I thought the only spot it was not as good as say a scandi was making the notch for the coal. But even that task was performed well by this knife. Making the hole for the spindle was no problem as well with the larger portion of the blade being able to make a nice sweeping motion to help get the large diameter of the elm spindle to fit. At this point the tip has been worked over and has still maintained it's shape and sharpness.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5656 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5659 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5657 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5658 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5660 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

After well over a month of use, no sharpening on my part, it is still sharp. However, it did develop a spot along the belly of the blade that appears to be micro burrs. Easily removed I am sure with a good stropping or some high grit sandpaper but I will get with Tim and see if I should leave the knife as is so he can analyze it.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5653 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's final task was to enjoy the fruit of it's labor.
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5596 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5597 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url]IMG_5598 by Tech Craft, on Flickr[/IMG]

I believe Tim puts out a quality woodsman's knife and I enjoyed using this one very much. I think with a little tweaking to the handle and make it beefier he has real winning model on his hands. The pommel was well executed and looks as though he has done a few. Anyone looking for a custom knife would do well to try out this model (heck, most of his stuff). Again, I'm no expert and these are just some of my thoughts during this process. Hopefully this flowed reasonably well and I expressed my thoughts clear.
    Thanks again Tim, I really appreciate you doing this.

4. Wilderness Spirit

Wilderness Spirit Scout Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tech, thanks so much for taking the time to do this review. This is exactly the feedback I need to improve my knives as I move forward.
    I am very excited about this model. This one is only one of a few with a convex grind and the first one with a pommel plate. Also one of the first ones heat treated in house. I will tweak the handle some as you suggest as I also think it could be a little beefier.
    As time allows I will make a few more and when I reopen the order list they will be added. Tim

5. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I didn't see the name of this. a completely new model?

I'd like one just like this with a 5" blade and thin black liners please...

6. Tech

Blog Posts:
    No name yet, just a prototype new model.

7. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think the name of this prototype should be : pacifico Clara