Psk fishing kit...is it really useful??

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Caveman Cracker, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Caveman Cracker

Caveman Cracker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone. I am a long time hiker. I have spent many days up to weeks in territory that is and is not familiar to me. I have gotten lost on more then one occasion...and not once did I think.."thank God I have my psk fishing kit with me. My knife...sure...my matches... absolutely...my compass and map....my poncho...but not once my fishing kit. How useful is it really in a survival situation...pls let me know what you think...or if it has helped you in the 72 hours it takes lost hikers to be found...thank you and hike on my friends

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My two cents. It really depends where you are. Where I live absolutely, I keep several. Right on the ocean surrounded by lakes full of trout. But I imagine elsewhere there isn't as much fishing opportunities.
    Cheers Jim

3. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    I put one together awhile ago but have never used it once. Sounds like a good idea at the time but I’m not sure that it will ever get used.

pab1, Caveman Cracker, Jim L. and 4 others like this.
  4. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    Whether you're lost or not, it makes it easier to catch fish to eat. Unless you keep a rod and reel in your pack.

Lichen, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 8 others like this.
  5. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    IMO for what it weight it's worth keeping around. I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

6. Daniel Klinglesmith

Blog Posts:
    Lots of parks and forest area don't allow hunting, but you can always do a little stream fishing for food. I always carried one and almost always used it.

7. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    I used mine for practice several years ago, just to see if it would work.
    Caught 3 bluegill in about 20 minutes.

For a couple ounces and almost no volume, it's a winner IMO.

Lichen, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 11 others like this.
  8. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I havent had to use mine to feed myself but I have used it for fun. You probably have everything you need to make one right now, so why not. I can't legally use hand lines or that type of thing where I live so I just tie my line to a branch and have at it.

9. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You raise an interesting point by adding the bit about "72 hours".

Cody Lundin wrote a whole book about this called "98.6*, the Art of Keeping Your A$$ Alive". In it, he specifically addresses lost hikers, the relative lack of importance of the food issue during that 72 hr time period when compared to other more important things (he solves it with some high calorie candy bars.) Most hikers are found within 72 hours. When found, they are either dead or alive. If dead, they usually had succumbed to either hyper- or hypo-thermia. If alive, it was because they managed to thermo-regulate for those hours. If found after 72hours, they were usually found dead, and not of starvation but of lack of thermoregulation.

The book then lays out what to carry and how to use it (with frequent humor and warnings to make sure you actually practice with it), "it" being a sub-5lb fanny pack full of stuff that is actually useful. A fishing kit is not included.

Should you still carry one? Sure. It's light, fun to play with, and if you happen to catch anything, it fills the belly better than nothing. A lot of old timers carried hooks with them, just in case, along with a small packet of salt in their "emergency ration". To quote one of the old guys, "Fish with salt tastes better than fish without."

BBizy, Lichen, geologist2 and 21 others like this.
  10. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got one. I have never used it yet. But you just never know. Its good cheep and light insurance.

Lichen, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 6 others like this.
  11. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Short answer, yes.

ETA: @Seeker brought up an excellent point, but a small fishing kit weighs next to nothing.

12. R Stowe

R Stowe Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep some fishing gear in all my packs. My dedicated PSK has some flies, hooks, sinkers, and braided lines. I also keep some braided line and flies in my Finn Bag kit. Backpacking when I might find streams but don’t pack my tenkara I have a handline on a bottle blank. So, the short version, yes I carry them. For me it’s little weight, possible food source, and makes sense for my area. Once a hiking buddy bet me I couldn’t catch some fish at the base of some falls. 10 mins had the line on a green branch and a fly on the line. 2nd cast had a sunfish. I pulled a few more out. Definitely enough to provide some protein in a must situation.

Lichen, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 2 others like this.
  13. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even if there aren't many fish or bodies of water in your area, the line and hooks would be handy to have regardless.

There are lots of streams, rivers and ponds in the mountains here, and they almost always have trout or other types of edible fish. A small fishing kit would definitely be helpful here, but I'd probably stick with a large amount of line and an assortment of hooks.

Sinkers can be made with oval rocks, and bobbers can be made with carved pieces of wood or inflated & tied off sections of trashbags. Bait can be procured easily in riparian areas here so no need to carry artificial bait.

The line is useful for tons of different tasks, and the hooks would prove useful for small game snares.

14. x39

x39 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I think @Seeker summed it up pretty well. If it makes you feel better to have fishing gear along, that's reason enough.

15. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guess it all depends on where you live and where you travel. My whole AO is swampland and coastal prairie. I can’t go 30 miles without crossing numerous slews, creeks,rivers,cypress swamps. Then when that gives way it’s tidal marsh and ocean. It’s a safe bet I can eat fish before anything else. Oh don’t forget turtles,eels,and frogs but that may be getting off topic

Fat Old Man, pab1 and Caveman Cracker like this.
  16. Daniel Klinglesmith

Blog Posts:
    I never was lost, but spent a lot of time alone in the woods, mountains, and swamps. I liked catching fish to eat. I traveled light, no tents or sleeping bags, and I didn't carry food. Too easy to find things to eat in the wild.

17. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    If somebody is looking for you and they have a zip code nice to have shelter water and your done. If you know you are on your own hook and need to make miles(E&E) or nobody is gonna come looking yup. There was an article in October 1986 Outside Survivors by Geoffrey Norman. One of the pieces is Col Rowe's survival kit and he mentions fishing in the story while E&E ing. The fax copy I got in PDF is hard to read so I think this is a decent list I made copying the article

Colonel Rowe’s Survival Kit

When Colonel James Rowe hits the trail he carries three separate survival kits. The first-class model stays in his ruck sack, but if that one gets lost or has to be abandoned for a lighter load, he has the second-class unit on a harness that hangs between his shoulder blades. If that one must be sloughed off, there’s always his “last-line” kit in his shirt pocket. With this one and his trusty knife, Rowe can live indefinitely. Bet on it.

FIRST-CLASS KIT

Medical Equipment

About the size of a cigar box. Weighs 24 ounces

IV tubing and dextrose solution-Suture thread and needles (“Forget that Rambo garbage.”)-Scalpel Blades-Betadine Antiseptic solution-Tetracycline tablets-Bee sting kit(Epinephrine pills and injection-Lomotil-Aspirin-Sunscreen-Alcohol wipes-Band-aids- Field compresses-Triangular bandage-Eye-injury kit(ophthanlmic ointment, eye pad, and eye wipe)

Food and Shelter Equipment

Small packets of curry powder (“for napalming your taste buds”)-Iodine tablets( for water purification)-Coffee and sugar-Signal Mirror-Pen Flare-Space blanket-Wire saw-Compass-Candle-Waterproof matches-Magnesium block fire starter-Net hammock-Nylon cord-Five quart water container with clamp and IV tube to run directly from pack to mouth-Fishing kit(fresh and saltwater hooks and lures, gill nets, 25 pound test line, red felt, and sinkers)-Two ponchos and a poncho liner-Army Survival Manual FM21-76(Pocket sized compendium of everything you wanted to know about survival, and Rowe wrote the book. Literally. It’s available through the Government Printing Office.)

SECOND-CLASS KIT

About the size of a 3x5 card box weight 22ounces

Small folding knives with vary hard carbide-steel blade (doubles as a scalpel)-Suture needles – Antiseptic solution-Silk sewing thread-Waterproof matches-Strobe light-Iodine tablets-Coffee and sugar-Aluminum foil(for cooking, signaling, or fishing lures)-Bullion-Fishing lines and hooks-Candle-Compass

LAST-LINE KIT

About the size of a band aid box

Iodine tablets-Compass-Fishing lines and hooks-Waterproof matches-Band aids-Antiseptic solution-Butterfly sutures

BBizy, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  18. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just like fishing:57:

Kenneth, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 3 others like this.
  19. mcdudr

mcdudr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the idea of the PSK fishing kit keeping my mind busy and something to do while I wait. I mean after all the to-do's (shelter, fire, wood, water etc) are done. I wouldn't want to sit around for 72 hrs thinking about how bad a situation I'm in. Watching the survival shows on TV lately, they start thinking about stuff at home or how terrible it is and next thing, they tap out. I guess in a real situation that would mean giving up. Just my opinion.

20. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    You go hungry a time or two ........you'll have your answer.

21. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was going to make one out of pcv pipe. But now the more I know about this the pipe size is to big. I have been thinking about making one out of wood. Don't know still thinking on it. :D Prov 27:17

22. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a plastic box bought at a big box for a $1.50? It's about 5 long X 3.75 wide X 3/4 thick. I've got enough pre made lines ( braided Spiderwire with eyes on 1 end and locking swivels on the other) to set 8, 3 yard lines. There are small tubes ( pocket/purse medicines found in gas stations) that have plenty more swivels, eyes, ect. I also saved and cut in half synthetic wine corks for floats. ( 6 total). There are some dry flies ans jelly jigs as well. It's not very big, I've had it for...at least 25 years. And I've used it more times than I can remember. I don't have a scale to go that far down but it changes me 0% on the pound scale. (Under a pound, I'm guessing 6-7 ounces) I was a meat cutter once and that's what my hand/ mind tells me it weighs. I can't imagine my pack without it. Perch/crappie taste way too good to leave it out. :)

Fat Old Man, pab1, mcdudr and 2 others like this.
  23. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m allergic to fish but even so, there is cordage that can be used and hooks that can be baited to catch small animals. A treble hook and some snare wire will work well although in a non survival situation I would never use them that way.

24. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I gave a program to 5th graders on how to put together a basic survival kit and how to use some of it. It included a trash bag for a shelter, bandanna, whistle, water bottle, a fishing kit... in fact it was my fishing kit.
    Between programs I was bored and rigged up a fly on a small sappling and a few feet of line. I was pulling out one small fish after another. I did this for three days.

When I was young I would lay on my stomach on a flat rock or bank with a crappie tube jig and a few feet of line. I could pull in multiple small to Palm sized fish in short time.
    Now small fish can be eaten or used for bait for larger fish. Organs can be used as crawfish bait or land based snares.
    While we're on that note, you can use line (or paracord) and hooks for land based animals as well, a spring pole and trigger with a baited hook.

I feel my chances of procuring food with a fishing kit is way above my chances of getting it by other means.

A fishing kit takes up less space than a few credit cards in your wallet. Thats line, weights, hooks (multiple sizes), a few flies and an inline spinner.
    I cant think of anything thats size vs weight in your kit could better your odds than a small fishing kit. If you feel otherwise then you've made it too big, or you live in the desert. ;)

25. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not for me. I am a lousy fisherman. Gill net every time. Can also snare birds.

Fat Old Man, pab1, Mikem and 2 others like this.
  26. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    When flies are suggested, are you guys talking dry flies or wet flies like a wooly bugger? And how can you work an in-line spinner (my favorite lure!) without a reel?

Fat Old Man, pab1 and Wasp like this.
  27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    You can work an inline spinner in current like a creek or with "the right amount" of fixed line.

I used a dry fly and 6-10' of line but I don't know why you couldn't use a craw or minnow immitation.

Take a few to the water, like a small creek, without a pole, and play.

Fat Old Man and pab1 like this.
  28. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_9388.JPG Top left is a survival fishing kit made from a altoids tin, top right is a last ditch survival kit, bottom left you can see some of the contents in the kit, bottom right the mini tin survival fishing kit in the survival kit. So as others have said it is a good idea, also can help take your mind off the current situation your in.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    colter, Fat Old Man, pab1 and 6 others like this.
  29. Caveman Cracker

Caveman Cracker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for all the replys. You all have deff given me a new point of view on the kit. I will be adding a few additional items to my current kit.

30. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My fishing kit fits into an Altoids sized tin. I have some bobbins of line and an assortment of hooks. It was given to me by a member in a GAW a while back. Not used it, but it may come in handy. It rides in my “ditch kit” in my truck.

Caveman Cracker, Fat Old Man and pab1 like this.
  31. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    • ONE EXAMPLE of many

• "Designed for Survival Applications and is an excellent addition to any any survival kit, bug out bag, etc.
      • Constructed of a stronger monofilament line with a 1.5 inch diamond mesh with a leaded foot (bottom) rope that acts as a weight to sink the net; and polypropylene top rope to float.
      • Constructed of 24 feet of rope designed to expand to 12 ft length X 4 ft depth. However, the net's flexibility allows you to adjust this length and depth such as 19 ft X 2 ft or 4 ft X 5 ft.
      • Designed to be used in streams, rivers, ponds, or larger bodies of water. It can also be used on land as a snare or trap for small game, such as rabbits.
      • Meets FAA regulations for aviation survival needs.

• Product Dimensions [collapsed]: 11.8 x 2.8 x 1.3 inches ; 11.2 ounces
    • Shipping Weight: 11.2 ounces"

Fat Old Man and pab1 like this.
  32. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I like fish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even like to practice fishing with improvised gear. Here is an improvised hook I made out of a keyring, using kite string as line
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always carry some fish hooks stashed somewhere. IMO they are one of the few pieces of gear that truly weight nothing and take up little space.

Large fish are hard to come by in my areas. Crawdads are usually more abundant and bigger too so I carry a little homemade gig that makes catching them quick and without getting your feet wet. Good for frogs, snakes, and other critters too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Version 2.0 thats a little smaller
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also have some gill nets
    [​IMG]

and have made some. this one is made from one 100 yard spool of waxed dental floss. A roll of floss takes up little room and only costs about a buck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

How practical is any of this? Do I ever think I might really need it some day? I dont really care, I have lots of fun messing around with it so its pretty cheap entertainment.

I would rather eat elk lol
    [​IMG]

Caveman Cracker, colter, dub and 17 others like this.
  33. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fat Old Man likes this.
  34. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    A sewing machine bobbin can hold a bunch of line in a tiny package. A wine cork can hold an assortment of hooks and flies which can double as a bobber. Can have a few bobbins of different weights of line and your cork with hooks for less than half an Altoids container. If you cut cork into smaller discs or small section of foam board, you can have it all in an Altoids Smalls tin.

We're talking a VERY small package that can have a large impact if you're in an area with lakes and streams. Middle of the salt flats? Best items will probably be an umbrella and your body weight in water.

35. hr80

hr80 I love Bushcraft USA! Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I cheat and there is always room for a fly rod on the side of my pack.

But psk is better to have than not

Caveman Cracker and pab1 like this.
  36. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I always include a couple of 3/0 hooks as well, it allows you to upscale your catch. Plus I've caught some small fish on bigger hooks, you just have to place the bait on the barb.

37. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a great idea, I never thought about the bird angle. :). Years ago I got what was called an "Imps" net, basically a nylon mesh hammock that could be rigged up as a net, hammock, or used as part of a trap. I still use it. Tough as heck.

Caveman Cracker, Coryphene and pab1 like this.
  38. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very cool! That just made me realize I could use a small screw hook eye as a guide instead of the safety pin. Just screw it, or them, into the branch for a secure guide system if I wanted to get fancy.

39. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Caveman Cracker, pab1 and Primordial like this.
  40. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    A small handline reel is a regular part of my kit, and just about all I ever use for fishing, too....I've caught dozens of catfish on it. Highly worthwhile IMO, but I do love to fish.

41. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here is my kit. (Apologies for the sort of poor cell phone pics.) pic 1 shows 2 types of hooks, treble and single in boxes (auto blade fuse boxes), extra line. 20 lb test braided nylon, about 50 yards minus a couple of new lines I made. A small "capital I" shape cut fron non corrugated cardboard, plastic cutting mat, or bleach bottle, holds a lot of line and lays flat.
    There are 8 pre-made lines plus the white bottle with split rings and swivels to make more. By passing the swivel thru the split ring around a root, limb, or cut pole you can use it, and then get it back without having to cut the line every time.
    The wine corks are some type of dense foam, I saved them up and drilled a 3/16 hole thru, pass the swivel thru and pin line with a little matchstick sized green stick.
    Pics 2-3 are just with a Mora for comparison and in the pocket on my Recon Ruck.

42. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cody forgot to mention that you don’t need for for three days but on that fourth you’re going to be powerful hungry :D

I don’t entirely agree with him about food. You may not need to eat from a physiological stance assuming that you will be found in three days, but if you are not – then not even starting to consider finding food until the fourth day will put you in an awful deficit. Also healthy fed and hydrated people regulate their temperatures a lot more efficiently than people down a quart of liquid already and then start eating sweets that take a good amount of liquid to process.

As for fishing kits—for the weight of a dozen hooks and 100 feet of mono line that might put ounces of protein in your belly for little effort why would you not carry one?

43. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you... food is psychologically important as well, and it seems to be easier to stay warm when you've had a hot meal or drink.

I usually carry a couple tea bags, some salt and sugar, some sort of bean powder/corn/rice mix, and some jerky, in my brew kit, even if just out for a few hours.

44. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry some crazy strong braided line and a few hooks. I really only use them for eels, so only need some line and a hook really. Nothing fancy. I have yet to use it and not catch dinner :) so worth it for me. Havent really been in a survival situation even once in my life imho.... so yea its more just part of my generic woods gear.

Caveman Cracker, pab1 and Coryphene like this.
  45. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I feel that a PSK fishing kit is definitely worth carrying. My PSK fishing kit is simple but it has served me well. For the Bushclass PSK Fishing Kit In Use lesson I used my kit, which is contained in a mini-Altoids tin and a willow stick to catch this rainbow that's about 22-24" in length. Although this fish was released, in a survival situation it would have been welcome nutrition. The stick used for a pole is in the water above the fish. I put my 12" boot next to the fish for scale. I used the size 2 Blue Fox in-line spinner with the red blade and about 15' of line.

Overnight outing 313.JPG

Overnight outing 310.JPG

My son at a fairly young age learned to use his PSK fishing kit with a stick to provide a meal. Here he is with a trout caught using an in-line spinner along with line from his PSK fishing kit. The stick in his hand was used as a pole.

Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 126.JPG

On this outing my PSK was used to provide dinner. While I did add other ingredients the fish alone would have been enough. I quit after catching this fish and releasing a smaller one. I'm confident I could have caught more fish if needed.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...-attempted-gathering-aka-tick-madness.198235/

Although on this trip I did use a rod and reel, my PSK fishing kit came in handy to catch that days lunch and dinner.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/fishing-for-the-final-ingredient.227196/

My first experience with an improvised "PSK" fishing kit came when I was about 10 or 11 years old in NW Montana. My dad and I did a quick 12 mile round trip day hike to a local lake. I usually fished this lake on multi day trips but didn't bring any fishing gear along since we were hiking in, stopping to eat lunch and then hiking out. While eating lunch lakeside, at the spot most people camped, I spotted a snelled hook on the ground someone had left behind. I found a small 1-2" strip of aluminum foil and wrapped the end of it around the line just in front of the hook. It was pretty much like an in-line spinner with the foil rotating around the hook. I put the loop of the line around a stick and lowered the hook into the stream outlet of the lake, just in front of a downed log. I wound up catching (and releasing) a trout that was about 10 inches in length. If that had been a survival situation that fish would have come in very handy.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  46. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just carry a few plastic mesh no weight onion or orange bags to make fish traps with a few sticks in a brook, stream, pond or lake. Much more efficient than line and hook and frees up your time to do more important things especially in a survival situation.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Caveman Cracker, LongChinJon and pab1 like this.
  47. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    OP, see how much gear ypu can fit in a little ol tin? Mine is even smaller in most cases. A firesteel could potentially take up more room than a fishing kit.

48. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    So is this a "PFK"?

My PFK out of my PSK that I keep in my GHB? :D

Caveman Cracker, pab1 and anrkst6973 like this.
  49. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I live in the desert. The only living fish within fifty miles is in the Walmart pet department.

I use the space for something else.

Coyote Ron

50. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Location, location, location as they say in real estate. Still a fish kit can catch greedy pack rats, and a rat with a hook through the scruff of it's neck will be fine bait for a snake--and snake is decent eating :D Birds snares can be constructed from the components of a fish kit too. A straightened fish hook is also a sharp piece of metal and that can have a lot of uses in a pinch. I'd be tempted to carry a frog gig rather than a fish kit in the desert, a short handle and that becomes a good lizard, snake, bird and rat collector. My gig's handle socket is plugged with a cork and i keep my fishing kit in that. Best of both worlds.