PSK Kits- Discussion

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Medic17, Mar 16, 2017.

1. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought one was to whittle a spoon. Steady the Buffs and out with the whittling knife! :)

Here we have SOTP (misspelled "STOP" 'cause it is cooler)" Stop; observe; think; plan. :4:

2. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
  3. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:
    "In nature there are neither rewards or punishments -- there are consequences." R.G. Ingersoll

Sure you can make mistakes, but understand the possible cost of doing so.

The Iditarod musher I mentioned was making the point that if you loose your sled & team. There may be grave consequences.
    For both you and your team.

Medic17, rsnurkle and MrFixIt like this.
  4. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    wow, that's got to be some flea collar to cost $50! :53:

yeah, I agree with the personal part of it as long as we all understand Medic17 asked to discuss a survival kit that is, "Not your primary woods wandering gear... It has to be pocket sized and kept on you so you can't loose it...", so various locations/seasons/climates aside, the basics should all be pretty much the same. if you're a human, that is...

I'm with you, I don't need to carry a little shard of metal pretending to be a cutting tool if I already 24/7 a good pocket knife. I already carry a pretty full complement of EDC gear so if the worst that could happen, happened, I would be waaaaay ahead of the game with just a pocket knife, lighter, flashlight, phone, cash, and chapstick.

now, if I head into the outback, I automatically add a couple things like compass, matches, and a whistle on a neck lanyard. this doesn't cover what Medic17 suggested we need - shelter, signalling, hydration - so I'm probably cheating a bit as I would need another layer to satisfy the requirements.

I do completely agree with his basic premise though - a kit small enough to be carried carried on your person that would allow you to survive for 24-48 hrs before help arrived or you were able to self-rescue.

the items I listed above can all fit in a sandwich size freezer bag or another pouch that will fit in a pocket or on a belt and whether you agree with the individual brands or models of the items, they represent a minimum solution to needs that is universal to all survival situations.

I think...

:4:

5. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    ok, so the takeaway from this is trust in your fallible human self to never make a mistake or have unforseen tragedy occur to you. and if it does and you do get separated from your sled, you deserve to die!!!

sorry, but I'd just have to laugh in someone's face if they said that to me...

MrFixIt and Medic17 like this.
  6. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very good post, and a good thread to read through.
    Barring the simple fun of putting little kits together, which I really like to do, I rarely if ever use them. They are usually full of smaller, worse versions of big stuff I've got in a backpack. (Admittedly, that's kinda the point.) I like to have a water bottle on me whatever outdoor stuff Im doing, so I generally end up with a backpack anyway.
    I'm in complete agreement about the PSK knives; I tried a few times to use one, because they were cool and everyone had one, but a SAK weighs about the same and is much more useful. There was a potentially great thread in January, challenging people to use their PSK knives to perform a few simple camp-oriented tasks; it would be fun to bump it now that the weather's warmer and see some of those PSK knives in action by folks who are comfortable with them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, often true, especially if you dont know how to read a map and compass, dont have a psk, dont have bushcraft knowledge and minimal stamina. Without a scenario its hard to discuss the best practice.

MrFixIt and Medic17 like this.
  8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    @Tebatoz If you get lost goin to the bathroom at night or hunting, fishing, foraging hiking away from basecamp..it would be good to have a pocket psk.

9. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
    I corrected your spelling, there. :4:

gohammergo, MrFixIt, alukban and 3 others like this.
  10. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:

That is not what I said, not what I said at all.

However, read into it what you will.

I would never be so rude as to laugh in someone's face.

ra2bach and Medic17 like this.
  11. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Scout

Blog Posts:
    One is none, and two is one so two is none. :D

12. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is what I have carried all winter while setting up timber sales in southern Colorado. I've been working between 7500 to 8000 ft, in ponderosa pine/Gambel oak woods. Cell phone signal is fortunately very good. At the worst this past winter, the snow was a good 4-5 feet deep, requiring snowshoes. The road I could take in summer isn't maintained in winter, so I was snowshoeing in everyday. The hike took a good hour and a half before I could even start working.

Part of my normal gear layout is:
    Estwing hatchet
    Colored flagging
    Stainless steel water bottle
    3 MREs in the truck
    Rite in the Rain paper, and pens/pencils
    Radio
    Compass, maps, GPS.

Mora #2, with duct tape on plastic sheath
    A Grabber brand emergency blanket
    Crazy Creek camp chair
    Altoids tin with the following: two pieces of fatwood, bic lighter, signaling mirror, emergency whistle

Ponderosa is a self pruning tree, so dry dead wood is often found off ground, and in a good size to process (wrist size or smaller). Between the hatchet and my knife, I can process most anything. The colored flagging is used for pre-layouts of boundaries, or marking some important location/item, but it can be used for other purposes as well, and can be written on with my sharpie pen. Stainless steel water bottle can boil and melt snow. MREs can be nice to have, but I don't bring them back with me. I do pack in my lunch though, and a thermos of hot tea - caffeine free.

I have been wearing all wool, top and bottom, with a wool cap under my hardhat. The camp chair gives me an insulated place to sit, and when folded flat, runs from my shoulders to my pelvis, so I can lay on it and insulate my core. The emergency blanket is bright orange, and offers protection from the elements. I did use the chair as a bedding and the blanket as protection one day when a freak heavy snowstorm appeared out of nowhere, and lasted 30 minutes. The set up worked as well as I had hoped, but my legs did get cold. I hiked out to the truck after that, the forecast had nothing about precipitation that day.

Fortunately, spring is here and while some patches of snow are still around, the ground is mostly bare now. Temperatures in the upper 60s and lower 70s, and I can get up most of the road that runs near my sales now. But it was a tough winter for working.

13. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    no, you didn't and I apologize if you feel I was putting words in your mouth. I don't know anything about dogsledding but I assume you asked the question because some people have been separated from their sled?..

I have been on the receiving end of that type of answer and, IMO, it's more about the person's ego, than trying to be helpful.

-"Hey Mister Experienced Scuba Diver, should I carry a can of "Spare Air (TM)" in case I run out of air in my main tank?"
    -"You DO NOT run out of air in your main tank!!"

OK, yet there are many deaths every year, of beginners and experts, running out of air...

-"Hey Mr. Rockclimber, should I double up on my protection, biners, runners, slings, belay points in case one of them doesn't work?"
    -"You DO NOT let a single point of protection fail!!"

sorry, happens all the time...

-"Hey Mr. Parachute Dude, should I carry an emergency chute?"
    -"Uh.. YEAH!...

anyway, it's not unusual for a veteran to respond with sarcasm/criticism when asked something by a beginner and it's not helpful. all it does is make that person not ask any more questions.

for a time I roadraced motorcycles. my first time at Rockingham I had no experience on banking that severe. when I asked a guy in the pit next to me, "what should I watch out for so I don't lose it on the banking?", he responded, "DO NOT lose it on the banking!".

ummm, yeah. he made feel stupid for even asking that question.

well guess what? later that weekend we had a full course red flag, ambulance, delay of program, etc., when someone did in fact, lose it on the banking. so I found someone else to ask and he didn't act like it was a dumb question. he explained how a motorcycle experiences a banked turn differently than a flat turn. he wasn't impatient or sarcastic, he just explained the hows and whats and became a good friend and mentor...

rsnurkle, Bannertail, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  14. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

Blog Posts:

No apology necessary, we're all concerned about safely while enjoying our time outdoors.

I took the musher's statement as using exaggeration to make a point. I should have mentioned that...

Take care.

rsnurkle likes this.
  15. wiwoodsman

wiwoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I saw the title and immediately thought it was a PSK-31 amateur radio setup for camping. Lol

16. Idabow

Idabow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Where I live in "mostly" suburbia Ohio my knives and fire starting gear would get me through. When I was an airman I had two ruck systems that would get me through 90 % of the world at a moments notice. One was a " temperate " ruck. The other was a sub zero ruck. Clothing was was difference.

One day I got a call to to pull security on an f 16 crash sight in Michigan during a blizzard. Grabbed the arctic ruck and on the way. Another time got a call to go to panama in December. Got approved shots, grabbed ruck and on the way. Only difference was clothing, sleep system, and gun system.

Planning for one person is cake. Planning for wife and kids is something else entirely.

17. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. I get hung up on this part.

MrFixIt and rsnurkle like this.
  18. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    a couple of years ago I was asked to put together a PSK for Montana game wardens that would fit into a pocket; lots of different scenarios where wardens could find themselves with an unexpected night out (happened to me twice!)

here's what I came up with keeping in mind that exposure was the deadliest enemy

SOL 2 person heatsheet
    ~12' of dyneema cord
    these two items could be used to construct a debris shelter, put a reflective lean-to w/ large fire, etc (these techniques were taught/practiced)
    sparklite and tinder tabs
    UCO storm matches/striker
    a 16 oz beverage bag from a MRE w/ micropur tabs to treat water
    Fox whistle
    all enclosed in a 5x4" alosak

I think the little kit was in the neighborhood of 5 ounces

all wardens had a minimum of one powerful light and one sturdy knife and usually are well dressed for the weather

the sleeve of the jacket it needed to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Tiwaz, MrFixIt, Unistat76 and 6 others like this.
  19. Youcantreadinthedark

Blog Posts:
    Can I ask - a tab generally treats a liter of water over an hour or so (varies by brand/chemical). If you had half-liter bags, did you just wait half as long, cut the tab in half, or just incidentally double-treat the water in your bag?

MrFixIt likes this.
  20. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    when I'm backpacking I often use two 16 oz bottles, one is ready to go- the other being treated- I just break the tab in half