Public land

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Pitre, May 12, 2013.

1. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone,
    I live in Thibodaux, La, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any public land where one could go to practice his bushcraft skills?
    I do a lot in my backyard, and also in near by cane fields, but I was hoping to find a good wooded area.
    I'm not looking for a place to go hunt, trap, or cut down trees just to build a practice shelter. Just a good place for short day hikes, maybe an overnighter if I feel safe enough.
    Thanks in advance.

2. dead short

dead short Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have an answer for ya, I just wanted to say "Hi!" My in-laws live in Lockport, Larose, and Raceland.

3. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have found a few places in the Maurapaus swamp WMA. very limited hiking etc with out a boat. There are a couple of places you can walk the headlands along the canals and some old pipeline roads that go for a couple of miles. Mostly swamp all around but lots of places to practice fishing and shelter craft. There are also a couple of primitive camping areas there but they are only accessible by boat.

4. jamsix

jamsix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    look up the rules on where property lines start and public water ends. Don't know about La. but for instance in Florida it's the mean high water mark which means that you can camp on the shore of most rivers. And that doesn't mean you have to have a canoe or boat - you could also follow the edge of the water from a trailhead near a bridge and if you stick close to shore you will be on public land the whole way. If you have seasonal ups and downs of water levels, this can work in your favor in a big way - opening up large tracts of land in the dry season for bushcraft.

5. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    just cause Its legal don't always mean its safe, some folks living near rivers might take pretty sore to you camping in their backyard, and of course do know your local laws before you try to assert this right, be ready to quote paragraph and section so the cop can have it looked up.

6. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can always go to the Kissatchie National Forest.

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    To the best of my knowledge, effective in 2007 or 8, you could no longer camp below the 'high water mark'... landowners own out into the middle of the waterways now... you can't even fish on someone else's "property" (even though the fish might have come from a public hatchery and were stocked in public water, once they swim onto private land, so to speak, they're private). This might only apply to canals though, and not natural waterways... As mentioned, find you a law enforcement official and ask... I found out from a local cop that it is indeed legal to shoot my longbow in my own backyard (I'm inside the city limits).

Kisatchie is huge, consisting of 5 different tracts across the middle of the state... Some of the WMAs close to you though, like Maurapas, might be easier to get to... but you might not be able to camp anywhere you like, and maybe not at all. Check the state fish and game websites. they're easy enough to find. The state site doesn't have a map showing all 5 units, and only lists 4 of them (no Vernon unit) on the website... not sure why this is. I guess it's common knowledge to the local folks, and no one thinks it's strange. If you have questions about the Vernon or Kisatchie Units of the Kisatchie National Forest, PM me... I'm pretty familiar with both of those areas.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  8. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys for the input. I actually lived out in Leesville for a short time and did some trail riding in a part of kasatchie. It never dawned on me that I could head back that way and do some exploring.

Hey Swamprat, where at in Monroe are you from? My mother-in-law lives in Swartz. Me and the wife go and visit every once and a while.

9. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am also curious about exactly where you can camp on the banks and how far property owners own out into the water is any, I wouldn't think you can own natural waterways at all

10. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about ownership, but a lot of people lease land for hunting and trapping. Down here south of I-10, lots of people lease wooded area and swamp for deer hunting and frown upon trespassers.

11. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Where south of I-10 are you?

12. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Grew up in Galliano, live in Thibodaux now.

13. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha, I fly out of Houma, and work in Shreiver from time to time, we recently ate at Freeman's in Thibodaux. All I can say is WOW, By far the best restaurant I have ever eaten at!

14. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Work offshore?

15. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes I sure do. We also have a training facility on 311 and hwy 90 schreiver

16. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pitre sorry but I didn't see this until today. I live in Swartz Too.

17. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are you speaking of the BP training facility ? I go there from time to time and will be down there for 5 days in a couple of weeks.

18. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes I am talking about BP training, I work offshore but we have several courses we have to take there also

19. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok, I work for BP on the Atlantis so I spend a lot of time staying in Houma.

20. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just moved from Thunderhorse, transferred to Nakika

21. Pitre

Pitre Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I work down at Apache in Golden Meadow. I consider myself lucky to be considered onshore, so I get to come home very night. I am however a mechanic so on my hitch I am on call 24 hours. I know the wife really appreciates it though with a new born lol.

22. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure she does, we have a 2 year old and I'm sure my wife would love for me to be home every night also. But this is my tour for now

23. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was working for Apache for the past 6 yrs. Was located onshore at the Gibbstown facility for a while. Then went back offshore to do a takeover for them in the W.C. 110 field. Then in January I was offered a job with BP out here on Atlantis so I made the change. Happy with my decision so far.

24. CajunInThePines

CajunInThePines Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wma

Tons of wildlife management areas all over Louisiana. I spend a bit of time in maurepas, but you really need a boat to get in there. I'm sure there's one close by you too. Each one has specific rules, and you probably want to stay out of there during any hunting season.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014